Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Battery tender option

2fast

Corvette
96 CE LT4 vert. plus 2015 C7 Z51
I have C7 with the battery tender option, thought it made sense :confused . Or so I thought until I found that there is no way to route the lead wires out of rear hatch without either closing hatch on wires, damage wires, or leaving hatch part way open which means rear interior lights stay on . Has anyone found a way to do this without damaging lead wires or leaving interior lamps on?

Well, I don't have a C7, but on my C6 I hook it up and leave it set on the cowl area under the hood and let the hood down on the tender. I bought the hardwire kit so I just plug into the harness. The wires aren't pinched, but the hood doesn't go down completely. I assume that the battery is located inside the cabin of C7's?

Well, I don't have a C7, but on my C6 I hook it up and leave it set on the cowl area under the hood and let the hood down on the tender. I bought the hardwire kit so I just plug into the harness. The wires aren't pinched, but the hood doesn't go down completely. I assume that the battery is located inside the cabin of C7's?[/QUOTE

Toms007, thanks for the response but this is a C7 issue, you are correct the battery is in rear of vette., but the tender does not have clips to attach to battery terminals. There is a 12V female receptacle in rear hatch area that the male plug of the battery goes into. That all works fine but as I started no way to route lead wires out of rear hatch with out either completely closing hatch lid on leads or leaving hatch part way open which means rear interior lamps will remain on.
Any C7 owners out there that have this factory battery tender option and have solved the issue?

I have C7 with the battery tender option, thought it made sense :confused . Or so I thought until I found that there is no way to route the lead wires out of rear hatch without either closing hatch on wires, damage wires, or leaving hatch part way open which means rear interior lights stay on . Has anyone found a way to do this without damaging lead wires or leaving interior lamps on?

Just rest the rear hatch down without closing it. The interior lights will go out between 15-20 minutes on their own.

Just rest the rear hatch down without closing it. The interior lights will go out between 15-20 minutes on their own.

Thanks, for the answer, but hard to believe GM would sell this option with this kind of application.

This same question popped up a year ago on two other Corvette forums (that shall remain nameless) and the general consensus was to just close the hatch. Just Google C7 battery tender cable routing. They say it doesn't seem to bother the cord or the rear seal, even with long term storage. I do the same thing on my Jag, just close the trunk and it too doesn't bother the cord or seal (photo attached for illustration purposes). And yes, she's dirty, just got back this evening from a little two day jaunt and she'll get cleaned up tomorrow morning.
DSCN4387.jpg

I've been closing the hatch tight on the cord since my 2005. No issues on the 3 C6s or the Stingray.

Why did Corvette change from the C6 "Battery Protection Package" option which was a CTEK charger that plugged into the cigarette lighter? That is what I have and going on 6 years now, no problems at all and it of course goes through the side window with no issues.

Why did Corvette change from the C6 "Battery Protection Package" option which was a CTEK charger that plugged into the cigarette lighter? That is what I have and going on 6 years now, no problems at all and it of course goes through the side window with no issues.

On the C7 when you shut the motor down all electronics such as cigarette lighter plug , usb port ect. all go to sleep, except the plug in the rear cargo hatch which remains hot. Thats where you plug in the battery tender. If you leave the hatch ajar the cargo lights will go out in about 15 min as part of the battery run down protection. Also the C7 does not have an ashtray or a cigarette lighter as per say what that really is, is a power plug resceptical socket for accessories while the motor is running.

:beer

On the C7 when you shut the motor down all electronics such as cigarette lighter plug , usb port ect. all go to sleep, except the plug in the rear cargo hatch which remains hot. Thats where you plug in the battery tender. If you leave the hatch ajar the cargo lights will go out in about 15 min as part of the battery run down protection. Also the C7 does not have an ashtray or a cigarette lighter as per say what that really is, is a power plug resceptical socket for accessories while the motor is running.

:beer

That's sounds like an very inferior design to the C6, and I guess Big Brother GM wants to keep people from smoking??;LOL

I can understand the amount of frustration since the battery tender instructions omit how to close the hatch.
If you run the wires out side the hatch (passenger side) close towards the taillight but still on the side (center of side hatch from door to tail) simply close the hatch.
The wires will not be cut or crushed. Once the hatch is fully closed you can move the wire side to side without any resistance.
Give it a try - this should end all the commotion on using the battery tender.

Chris

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom