Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: belt lifespan

bartfly

Corvette
2004 lemans blue coupe
I am wondering how long the accessory drive belts last. Our C5's are getting up there in age, mine is a 2004 with 40k miles and the belts look great. I like to replace things before they break so what is the consensus? Change by age? Milage?

Thanks,

I replaced mine at about 45K. Nothing wrong with them, I just wanted to replace them. I put both of the old ones in one of the rear compartments along with the correct sized socket and breaker bar, "just in case". You can get home if the belt for the A/c breaks, but if the main belt lets go, that's it till you get a replacement. I threw the main belt when my tensioner went south, and it got REAL hot FAST. As soon as I felt the power go out of the steering, I turned around (NOT easy by the way) and headed for home which was about 5 minutes away. Made it home, but it was gettin hot. If I would have been farther away, I would have had to pull over and shut it down. Having the old belt with me is like a cheap insurance policy, and the peace of mind it provides is GREAT. Do yourself a favor, replace both belts now, and keep the old ones as "get me home" (or to a parts store) spares.
Andy Anderson :w

I just replaced both belts on my 03. You can't always tell when they are toast. They usually don't ply separate and crack like the old belts. We also used a gauge that measures the lans and grooves on the belt, and they were badly worn. Both conditions lead to slippage and glazing. That said, they are rubber, and 10 years is a long time for a belt, mileage not withstanding.

thanks

Thanks guys, I am ordering new belts now. Better safe than sorry.

:thumb

What about the tensioners? What is the service life on those? If your tensioner goes out and you have a belt replacement would you be able to use it? Have not read much about them or if they can be serviced.

I've had really bad luck with GM idlers and tensioners. I replace them every 4 to 5 years to be safe. I'd hate to have one go out on a road trip, and they are fairly cheap and easy to replace. The good news is that the replacements seem to last longer than the OEMs.

Good one on the right.......baddie on the left.
Was causing the main belt to come off of the waterpump.
The belt hasn't come off since the tensioner was replaced.
Andy :w

DSC_0224_small.jpg

c5 belt replacement

I replace belt with a GOODYEAR GATORBACK @ 10,000 MILES about 32.00 dollars. cheap insurance. I like to rev out engine . If threads on edge are showing or cracked its time to replace . COME on you have a FIRST CLASS TRUE SPORTS CAR made in USA!!! Treat it as such !!! ALSO do you know THE PANTY HOSE TRICK !! It will get you home . If not your spouse or beau keep receipt !!! Also loosen radiatior cap& turn heater on high ,it might get you home . I have AAA towing for wife ,got it for my self & daughter with 100 first free miles .It pays for itself,whrn flat bed for my VETTE>:w :happyanim::pat member of CORVETTES ANONY i have a problem!!!

I replace belt with a GOODYEAR GATORBACK @ 10,000 MILES about 32.00 dollars. cheap insurance. I like to rev out engine . If threads on edge are showing or cracked its time to replace . COME on you have a FIRST CLASS TRUE SPORTS CAR made in USA!!! Treat it as such !!! ALSO do you know THE PANTY HOSE TRICK !! It will get you home . If not your spouse or beau keep receipt !!! Also loosen radiatior cap& turn heater on high ,it might get you home . I have AAA towing for wife ,got it for my self & daughter with 100 first free miles .It pays for itself,whrn flat bed for my VETTE>:w :happyanim::pat member of CORVETTES ANONY i have a problem!!![/QUOTE

Are you serious about the Panty Hose thing? It definitely will not work on the ribbed pulley system on the vette with the pulleys, tensioner etc rotating at 3000rpm !! It may have worked on the old "V" type pulley system but we left that era decades ago. That knot in the hose will not track the ribbed pulley no matter if you idle your way home. ........... just sayin'. (unable to edit this post without retyping everything, something is radically wrong.):chuckle

I replace belt with a GOODYEAR GATORBACK @ 10,000 MILES about 32.00 dollars. cheap insurance. I like to rev out engine . If threads on edge are showing or cracked its time to replace . COME on you have a FIRST CLASS TRUE SPORTS CAR made in USA!!! Treat it as such !!! ALSO do you know THE PANTY HOSE TRICK !! It will get you home . If not your spouse or beau keep receipt !!! Also loosen radiatior cap& turn heater on high ,it might get you home . I have AAA towing for wife ,got it for my self & daughter with 100 first free miles .It pays for itself,whrn flat bed for my VETTE>:w :happyanim::pat member of CORVETTES ANONY i have a problem!!![/QUOTE

Are you serious about the Panty Hose thing? It definitely will not work on the ribbed pulley system on the vette with the pulleys, tensioner etc rotating at 3000rpm !! It may have worked on the old "V" type pulley system but we left that era decades ago. That knot in the hose will not track the ribbed pulley no matter if you idle your way home. ........... just sayin'. (unable to edit this post without retyping everything, something is radically wrong.):chuckle
panty hose was a chuckle just 2 c if any 1 reads this :happyanim: :L :chuckle

Thanks again guys. When I replaced the belts I found out that they were not OEM so had been
replaced before. I feel better with new Goodyear Gatorbacks on even if they didn't need to be replaced. I do service once per year and try to make sure everything is good to go. I autocross
regularly so it is important that nothing breaks or is worn out. It always feels good to finish a job like this but it was no fun doing it. I needed two more hands and small ones at that.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom