Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Belt tensioner wrench

ZQQM

What wrench do you guys use to release the belt tension on a 1991 L98?
Thanks in advance! :confused

Tensioner has hole for 1/2" drive as found on socket set breaker bar
Put in hole , lever tensioner down until you can slip belt off Alt pulley

If you can get away with it, the more leverage the better. It can be achieved with a 1/2" drive ratchet, but as stated above a breaker bar is easier.

If you can get away with it, the more leverage the better. It can be achieved with a 1/2" drive ratchet, but as stated above a breaker bar is easier.

I do not know who has access....but Northern Tool Co has a great ratcheting-breaker bar that comes in various lengths, 1/2 drive from 6" long to 36" long. with the small collar on the head it fits nicely on the tensioner. My usual breaker did'nt quite make the pull but the ratcheting breaker allows a "click" to get a new bite where ever you get it on. Cost was <$20

If you have a long 1/2-drive ratchet or breaker bar, that works, but if you're going to buy a tool, you're better off buying one of the dedicated serpentine belt tensioning tools.

Over the years, I've used several different examples of this type of tool, but think the best one on the market right now is the belt tensioning set made by Gear Wrench. I like it because I work on 5 different cars with serpentine belts and it easily adapts to all of them.

There are other belt tensioning tools on the market, too, but one universal characteristic is a very long handle which makes unloading the tensioner during the belt change quite easy.

A standard 1/2" breaker bar works fine for me. A short "cheater" over the handle will make it easier.

Not sure about the L-98 engine, but on an LT1, take care not to break off the water temp sender located on the pump housing.

If you're not careful, it's easy to shear if off with your breaker bar should it slip while your applying pressure to the belt tensioner.

"Over the years, I've used several different examples of this type of tool, but think the best one on the market right now is the belt tensioning set made by Gear Wrench. I like it because I work on 5 different cars with serpentine belts and it easily adapts to all of them."

If you got the money I second this one, it works on just about anything.

I just grab the tensioner and push it with one hand and flip the belt off with my thumb.:upthumbs

Putting a new belt on I run the belt around everything, pull it up to the edge of the airpump, push the tensioner down with the left hand and push the belt in place with the right hand.

Never saw a need for a tool for this, would advise gloves when the engine is hot.:eyerole

I just grab the tensioner and push it with one hand and flip the belt off with my thumb.:upthumbs

Putting a new belt on I run the belt around everything, pull it up to the edge of the airpump, push the tensioner down with the left hand and push the belt in place with the right hand.

Never saw a need for a tool for this, would advise gloves when the engine is hot.:eyerole
Not all of us have arms of a Gorilla or Charles Atlas!! :D

I've used a 1/2" drive torque wrench. Works fine.

Yep, me too. I've got enough "rarely used, specialized tools" laying around.

Jake

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom