Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Belt Tesioner

BigT

Corvette
96 LT1 CE Sebring Silver with Black interior
I am replacing the belt tensioner assembly and the idler pulley on my 96 LT1. Do I need to put anything on the bolts (Loctite or Anti-seize) when I reassemble?

Thanks,
Tom

No need to put anything on the bolts. Just make sure the threads are clean.

Sometimes, I use anti-seize so that the threads stay in good shape.

Other times, I use WD-40 for the same reason.

Your call.

SAVE the WAVE! :w

"use anti-seize so that the threads stay in good shape"
almost always a good idea vs needing to remove rusted threads and stuck bolts a few years of neglect might cause

I usually use anti-seize compound whenever a steel bolt is threaded into aluminum. Unless it is a head bolt or something similar where the final torque setting is critical.

CG

If you're using the original hardware, there is no need for any antiseize lubricant to prevent corrosion because the bolts are coated with an anticorrosive material.

Thread locker is not required nor recommended for the tensioner bolt.

Now, if you expect the bolt holding the tensioner to the engine to be removed and replaced a number of times in the future, I'd use antiseize which is good to use as a lubricant on any fastener which is frequently removed and replaced. But, again, if you're not going to be removing the tensioner again and again, you don't need any lubricant.

Torque the bolt to 24 lb/ft. Reduce that by 10-15% if you elect to use antiseize.

Thanks for the info. I picked up the parts late yesterday afternoon and spent about an hour trying to get the tensioner bolt back in and finally gave up. This morning I tried for almost another hour and still can't get it. This is like Stevie Wonder auto repair working blind and have to do everything by feel. I will get it sooner or later I just have to give this old back a break now and then. If I could get both hands in there it might be easier but there is not enough room.

Thanks,
Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom