Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

best aftermarket carb for a stock 78 L82

S

sd pacecar

I have a stock L82 with the Q-jet. Any recommedations for an after market that will bolt on with out re-jetting? I am running hedders with a hiflow cat and mufflers.

It crapped on me today. I went to start it this morning like usual and it flooded immediately. I managed to start it and kept my foot on the pedal. As soon as I let up on it, the engine died. I pulled the carb off and gasoline came out of the charcoal cannister line and there was a pool of gas lying on the intake runners. I had it overhauled last Nov., so I hope it is still under warranty.

charcoal

make sure you are not getting charcoal from the cannister into the float bowl as this would cause flooding. been there done that!

I had an overhaul last November. It should still be under warranty.

I had my stock QJet rebuilt, but after 8 months it still did not run right. Dropped in a Holley Street Avenger 670. Runs like a champ, more responsive, and easy to tune. Ran right out of the box, but did need to some minor adjustment. Not all engines are the same but the tweaking was minor. I also changed the intake manifold from a spreadbore to a square bore. If you don't want to do that then get a spreadbore Holley.

KenSny said:
I had my stock QJet rebuilt, but after 8 months it still did not run right. Dropped in a Holley Street Avenger 670. Runs like a champ, more responsive, and easy to tune. Ran right out of the box, but did need to some minor adjustment. Not all engines are the same but the tweaking was minor. I also changed the intake manifold from a spreadbore to a square bore. If you don't want to do that then get a spreadbore Holley.

How about the air cleaner? Any mods there with the Holley?

I replaced my Q-jet with a Carter 625cfm carb. Ran great out of the box. I have not made any real adjustments to it as of yet. Have had no problems and really like having an electric choke. I also think the smaller cfm of the Carter gives a little better throttle response than the 725cfm of the Q-jet. I guess I would give up a little on the top end, but I never really push the engine that hard anyway.

Regards,

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom