Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Best approach to talking my Mother into this...

CoryKanine

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for my first car, and I know exactly what I want: a 1987 Corvette. My dad thinks that if the one i show him is in a good enough condition for a price he deems reasonable to be a teen's first car, he'd have no problem buying it for me. (87 corvette)

But my MOM, on the other hand, thinks it unwise to have a car with such power as my first. I have a bit of an argument already for this, but i'd like to see if I miss any points here. I'd be bringing up:
-I understand the responsibility in driving a sports car of this caliber
-I'd have a backup beater for use in bad weather
-Yes, they are quick to take off, but they are ALSO fast to turn and stop -- avoiding a potential accident
-It could be an investment for the future
-You won't need to worry about me having a lot of friends in the car: there's only one other seat
-Corvette's are mechanically well-built
-If I have pride in my car, and I will mourn the loss of it, I would be much more cautious behind the wheel than in a, say, Toyota Corolla

That's as far as I've gotten. Of course, i'd use the 'I can pay for __% of the gas and insurance' deal as well. But do you guys think there's anything else I should include?

Hmmmmm..........if you were my kid I would have to take a look at your track record. How's your grades? Do you have an after school job and are you a good employee? How many points on your license? what kind of crowd do you hang out with? Do you mind your Mama? If all those are positive I would have to think about it. A Corvette is expensive to own no matter what generation you have. C4's are affordable up front but get the wrong one and it will keep you broke. The same is true of all cars you could buy so just keep that in mind. One limiting factor might be the cost of insurance for you.........

Since I'm into Corvettes I'd say why not but screw up once and it's gone.......my wife would be thinking........how about a nice pickup truck...........good luck with whatever you end up with and welcome to the CAC........if not now you will have a Corvette someday soon......

I was 19 and in college when I got my first Corvette and I had a ball with it for years.......but those were different days.....and of course I was a model kid........:D

Yeah, a quote I looked at had me at like $245 a month for insurance. And of course I mind my Mama! What Southern boy doesn't? AND yeah, grades are good. I'm no honor role student, but I'm maintaining all good grades. I hang out with mostly NJROTC cadets like me, and try to instill the same level of maturity I have in there into the freshmen that are in the class this year. So, if I was your kid... I might just get the 'Vette!

Hey everyone!

But my MOM, on the other hand, thinks it unwise to have a car with such power as my first. I have a bit of an argument already for this, but i'd like to see if I miss any points here. I'd be bringing up:
-I understand the responsibility in driving a sports car of this caliber
-I'd have a backup beater for use in bad weather
-Yes, they are quick to take off, but they are ALSO fast to turn and stop -- avoiding a potential accident
-It could be an investment for the future
-You won't need to worry about me having a lot of friends in the car: there's only one other seat
-Corvette's are mechanically well-built
-If I have pride in my car, and I will mourn the loss of it, I would be much more cautious behind the wheel than in a, say, Toyota Corolla

That's as far as I've gotten. Of course, i'd use the 'I can pay for __% of the gas and insurance' deal as well. But do you guys think there's anything else I should include?
Well Cory I wish ya luck ,I really do .I couldn't have gotten past point one with my mother but It's worth a try and I won't discourage you at all .Nice looking car and a reasonable price .

Welcome :w

Since you asked :D

I would never / never did... "Buy" my child's first car!!

I helped with the Insurance, that was it... maturity is being responsible for the purchase, maintenance, gas and wheels and tires, esp. mags ;). I agreed to co-sign a note, miss a payment.. I got the keys..

Her first car was not a Corvette... it was in 1985 and she picked out a 1973 VW Bug... long story short... it took a lot of abuse... held up fairly well... Her second car was in 1988 a fairly new Nissan Pickup which lasted more than 10 years..

Guess what I am saying I think having to justification the purchase and to "HELP" you buy your first car... would not fly in my house .... JMHO Corvettes are an extremely poor investment.. Only the very rare or the Barrett Jackson type Corvettes bring back any type of invest $$$... and that is very unusual... money invested in the Market or even simple compounded for 20 or 30 year would probably yield more $$$ ;)

I wish you luck and hope it all works out for you..... Your Mom and Dad :thumb

Bud

First Car

Welcome :w

Since you asked :D

I would never / never did... "Buy" my child's first car!!

I helped with the Insurance, that was it... maturity is being responsible for the purchase, maintenance, gas and wheels and tires, esp. mags ;). I agreed to co-sign a note, miss a payment.. I got the keys..

Her first car was not a Corvette... it was in 1985 and she picked out a 1973 VW Bug... long story short... it took a lot of abuse... held up fairly well... Her second car was in 1988 a fairly new Nissan Pickup which lasted more than 10 years..

Guess what I am saying I think having to justification the purchase and to "HELP" you buy your first car... would not fly in my house .... JMHO Corvettes are an extremely poor investment.. Only the very rare or the Barrett Jackson type Corvettes bring back any type of invest $$$... and that is very unusual... money invested in the Market or even simple compounded for 20 or 30 year would probably yield more $$$ ;)

I wish you luck and hope it all works out for you..... Your Mom and Dad :thumb

Bud

I have to agree with Bud
How's your driving record?
Can you pay for your insurance?
Can you pay for the repairs that will come up (and they will)?
Can you do the necessary maintenance required or pay someone to do it?
Who are you expecting to pay for the car?
Can you own something like a corvette and not show off for your friends?
Can you do all that and still maintain your grades?
Don't expect to make money off that car, it's not that collectable/desirable to a collector and you likely can't afford one that will (mine isn't valuable either, but it is a good car)

I cosigned a loan for one daughter, till she thought it wasn't important to make her payments on time. The other still does not have a car (she's 23).
Car ownership takes a large degree of dedication and responsibility, can you live up to your end of the deal?

I've paid for, insured and maintained every car I've ever owned. I now have a Vette, but it's been a long time since I got my drivers license or bought my first car. My first car was a 61 Biscayne 6 cylinder, while my friends were given something flashier by their parents. I didn't abuse it because I had to pay for everything myself.

Good luck, hope it works out but be prepared if it doesn't.
Paul

Last edited:
Man, I had to pay for my 1st car....1966 Chevy Caprice with a 396 Auto...$66.00 a month for 18 months plus I had to pay Insurance on my own.

Fast forward some 40 years and I have 2 H3 Hummers, 3 Corvettes, 2 Harleys, 2 boats, Motor home and it is all paid for.

Buy a car you can afford, go the school and then get a job....then work into your toys as you can afford to pay for them.

When did this deal about parents buying their kids car come about....1st Bicycle maybe.

Karsten

Both my sons had to pass their driving test with a full size std transmission pickup.Both times the examiner said I was an abusive sadistic father but the boys passed on the first try .
The boys helped me out for years with some pretty heavy chores so I both them the "first car"used but decent and I have no regrets .I have a live in grandson that Junkie is looking for a decent older Ford Ranger.The Grandson has decent grades ,kept out of trouble and active in sports ,great kid .If Corey can work into a vett I'm glad for him after all most vett owners are grumpy old men .:D

You're unlikely to get the answer you want, but are getting sound advice. I learned that good grades and/or ROTC have little to do with good drivers. I had both and was less than a sane driver, in reflection. You need to honestly assess yourself. Also, inexperienced drivers learn, as we all did, by mistakes. Often, this includes accidents.

My dad promised me a Corvette upon HS graduation, as reward for a specific goal for me. I did and he didn't, which may have saved my life. That aside, look at all the Corvette, Viper, Lambo, etc. engines for sale after folks who can afford them, total them. They are a LOT of car.

I suggest your Mom loves you and has perspective on what is best for you.

That said, when you reach majority age, you can earn the money and buy whatever you wish and treat it as you wish. You may find that Mom is right and one day thank her, despite your current feelings.

Surely, you don't want to hear any of this any more than I did, but I commend you for asking and reading.

I will share a story and the out come was not good. Years ago I was in the management of a GM dealership. We took in a 1970 Pontiac 455 Super Duty that I took as a demo.....Damn, what a car.

I wont say who bought it for his son's 17th B day (damn he was a Great kid too) The car killed him, He couldn't handle or didn't need that car and the power....Go buy a car....beater and learn to drive, wreck it and a few years down the road get you something Hot.

Sorry, but I am a believer in the fact that kids should go Put Put before they go Veroom, Veroom....Just look at the 19 year old Pop Star in a Lambo....What if he hit some one?

Karsten

The deal my parents offered me was to help pay for a 'regular' car- as long as I met certain conditions. If wanted something fancier, I'd have to pay the extra all by myself. Didn't take long for me to realize that a Corvette for a first car was a really dumb idea for all sorts of reasons.

My overriding consideration would be the cost of insurance. Regardless of your logic, ANY Corvette would be expensive to insure until you are in your mid 20s. Skip the vanity, save your money and get something boring until you're out of school and have a job/career.

When I was 15 my dad helped me get a project car (I had to pay him back $300) it took a few years to get it operational, In his words learn how to care for it work on it and you will have a better appreciation for it when do drive it. He also bet that in the first few years of driving I would crash it, I did. He helped me find a new body I fixed it sold it and got a better car.

Life rocked on and when I got out of the Navy in 77 I got my first Vette I could by than afford to own one. My advice to you would be wait a few years get some good diving experience under your belt maybe take a few driving classes than find a good job a nice Vette and enjoy.

After considering your replies.

Well, after some serious consideration and collaboration among many friends of mine, and both immediate and extended family members, and reading through your replies, (thank you all for all of them ) I've decided that it'd be best for me to have something less sporty for my first car. After searching for something within reason, I think I'm sold on a... don't start hating on me... '79 Mustang.

3.3L Engine that puts out a hair-raising 85 Horsepower (Quite a change, Isn't it?)
It's not the prettiest car to look at, no sugarcoating that.

I guess it's not the car that'd catch eyes when I pull up to school, but I feel like it would, In fact, be better for me if I lived long enough to enjoy some years of a Corvette... When I get to that point!

And it's not like I can't (and won't) give it a bit more get-up-and-go eventually, but for the time being, she'll do me just fine.

1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe

Such a sad little thing, isn't it? :thumb

My first car was a 65 Mustang coupe 289 CI 271 hp and I'm still alive :D

Your choice might be a wise one and it can be a mechanical learning experience ,enjoy .There are Mustang forums that might be helpful .
Best wishes :thumb

Well, after some serious consideration and collaboration among many friends of mine, and both immediate and extended family members, and reading through your replies, (thank you all for all of them ) I've decided that it'd be best for me to have something less sporty for my first car. After searching for something within reason, I think I'm sold on a... don't start hating on me... '79 Mustang.

3.3L Engine that puts out a hair-raising 85 Horsepower (Quite a change, Isn't it?)

I guess it's not the car that'd catch eyes when I pull up to school, but I feel like it would, In fact, be better for me if I lived long enough to enjoy some years of a Corvette... When I get to that point!

And it's not like I can't (and won't) give it a bit more get-up-and-go eventually, but for the time being, she'll do me just fine.

1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe

;LOL ;LOL Oh I feel so guilty and bad.... NOT!!! I love your passive aggression short shot :L What ever turns your crank...

AND yes I fit the "most vett owners are grumpy old men" mold ;LOL

Bud

Yeah that will work for ya......good starter car that looks to be in fair shape and cheaper to maintain. Way cheaper insurance too......hope Mama is resting easy with it .......:thumb

There's nothing wrong with those old fox-body mustangs. I'd have to agree with everyone here in thinking a Corvette for your first car isn't the best choice. My first Corvette came as my third car, at 19 and in college, like huskerman. BUt it was all on me, no help from the parents...as were the first two cars as well. I learned that driving a Corvette was a privilege that I had to earn. I still remember people would ask me how fast would it go? I always told them it would do 85mph, which was about as fast as I drove it. But I knew it had a LOT more in it.

Learn with the Mustang, and someday I hope that you strive to own a Corvette.

My first Corvette, 1976

1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe

Cory, be safe, and have great young life..learning about financing your life before you get involved in sports car that could break your bank, and worse, hurt you physically, I was a kid once, and I know I would stand on it every chance I could get away with it..and that was driving my Mom's tank of a 72 LTD, !! Understand..as my Dad would say.."own the car..don't let the car own you" There are plenty of times coming for you to own beautiful sports cars...wait until you can own one, and enjoy every moment of it..Best to you!!

look at this

new paint (2).jpg

Perhaps look at a Pontiac Fiero GT. Prices are cheap, insurance is cheap and they look good. You would have the only one around and they always get comments. True they are slugs in the performance category, even with the V6, but handle good. I have a C4 Corvette and this 87 Fiero GT, I enjoy driving both and the Fiero is my daily driver. There is a multitude of accessories and dress up stuff available. Just my 2 cents. Look for a 1988 model as they changed and upgraded many things in that last year of manufacture. All the girls will want a ride. If you want more info on them just email me with your questions. Just my 2 cents.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom