Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Best Source To Get History On My 81

rollsman4

Corvette
1981 RED Coupe
I am aware of carfax but I am not sure if this is the best source to use to find out the history and prior ownership on my 81. Please let me know if there is a better way to get the info. Thanks, Rollsman

rollsman,

Under the Learning Center Tab at the top of the page we have a section called Owner Research Center. You will find a lot of information and idea's to get started.

I was very lucky, I am the 3rd owner of my 1981 and both previous owners documented EVERYTHING, I have the original window sticker and all the warranty manuals and books including the tire warranty books.

Remember our cars are close to being 23 years old, and a lot of water has passed under the bridge since their orignal owner. I'm not 100% sure but I have my doubts that carfax goes back that far. Keep focused and keep searching.. finding the previous owners can be fun and frustrating.. Good luck.

Rollsman4, I would also like to find some history on my '81, so if you have any tips and any results, then please let me know.

I used CARFAX to research mine after I'd already bought it. It was free is why I did it. But I digress. Anyway; the report did go back to the first registration up to include me. I was listed as the third person to register the car. However; they don't give names or addresses. Just the states and the registration numbers that were given the vehicle. But it is a place to start. You at least know what state DMV to contact to get the ball rolling. Hope this helps.

I ran my vin through carfax and through autocheck.com which the CAC recommends, but I do not trust as much as carfax. They both want $20 for a single vehicle history report, but on carfax there were 14 history reports, and on autocheck there were 20 vehicle history reports!! Should I go with the autocheck because it has 6 more history reports, even though it is less well known?? Thanks for any input.

-Tatortot

I ran my vin through carfax and through autocheck.com which the CAC recommends, but I do not trust as much as carfax. They both want $20 for a single vehicle history report, but on carfax there were 14 history reports, and on autocheck there were 20 vehicle history reports!! Should I go with the autocheck because it has 6 more history reports, even though it is less well known?? Thanks for any input.

-Tatortot

AutoCheck - 20
Carfax - 14

Simple math plus my own personal experience with Carfax tells me I'd go with AutoCheck. Besides, that's what the Corvette Action Center recommends to their members. :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom