Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Best way to clean rims

jpburks

Corvette
1981 Hardtop Midnight Blue
I love these original rims and they look great , but how do I get the grime stains off? I have never dull but am kinda afraid to screw it up. Is it worth it to pay for the aluminum polish at $8 or are there cheaper, better options?

Do the rims still have the coating on them???

Thanks Bill, thhat thread was awesome. I am taking the coating off the rims today and will be polishing them up later tonight.

glad to Help!!!:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb

I recommend removing the wheels from the car first. Use a "power ball" for the Mothers application and let dry. There are two kinds of power balls out there and it is personal preference which you choose. Use an electric drill vice a rechargeable drill (air tools work well also) as they just don't have the extended power you need to get through four wheels. Remove by hand with a soft cloth and like mentioned in the "old " thread, a bit of water or a damp cloth will help remove the residue stuck in the scratches/grooves. This is all about what you put into it determines what you get out of it.

Actually there is a "SO" much easier way to clean metal wheels - there is a polish that was developed for the marine industry called "PRISM". The web site is: Prism Polish - Cleans, Polishes and Protects All Metals. This stuff is fantastic! Easy on, easy off and leaves a beautiful finish. A power ball is not required but you can use one if you want. I'll never use anything else - is 1000 times better the Mother's or any other metal polish on the market.

What NOT to use!!!

Actually there is a "SO" much easier way to clean metal wheels - there is a polish that was developed for the marine industry called "PRISM". The web site is: Prism Polish - Cleans, Polishes and Protects All Metals. This stuff is fantastic! Easy on, easy off and leaves a beautiful finish. A power ball is not required but you can use one if you want. I'll never use anything else - is 1000 times better the Mother's or any other metal polish on the market.

I just did this yesterday and it was one of the stupidest things I've done. I wanted the get the brake dust off of my front rims so I sprayed what I THOUGHT was brake cleaner on them, without looking at the label, I sprayed half a can of THROTTLE BODY CLEANER on them!! Oops. I found that it does not react well with driveway asphalt (and high pressure spray) haha.

What's the approximate price on that stuff?

I just did this yesterday and it was one of the stupidest things I've done. I wanted the get the brake dust off of my front rims so I sprayed what I THOUGHT was brake cleaner on them, without looking at the label, I sprayed half a can of THROTTLE BODY CLEANER on them!!
Ouch! Well, brake cleaner (the good chlorinated kind) would be just as bad on the rims. Same as getting Wesley' BleachWhite on 'em. Bad news! It's gonna require some heavy duty polishing it if left streaks in the rims. Sorry bud!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom