Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Best year of the C4

Corvette
*none*
Soooooo . . . Due to incredibly low prices and the fact that I love the design, I am contemplating buying a C4 with a manual tranny when I earn enough money. :blue
Because of my general lack of knowledge of C4s I would like to ask you which year is the all around 'best'? What packages to look for, what engine is the most powerful etc . . . etc . . . .

Thanks in advance, :beer

- Dawg

Well most people would say get the newest you can afford. Personally I like the 86 which was the re introduction to the vert. It has some significance I believe. Also literature I have read says this car was the first to pace the Indy 500 without modifications.

The L98 is great, and so is the LT-1, if they weren't they wouldn't be in the vette right. LT-1 has more HP, but if you want to race light to light go with the L98, because it is a torque monster. The newer you get, to me the harder it is to work on it. I have worked with my car for a while, and have come to know it. A newer car will have more technology, which you may or may not prefer. Selective ride control, the six speed tranny is something also to think about opposed to the 4+3. I think you can get that six speed in an 89.

Craig

You can't gro wrong with any C4, but I would stay 86 and up if I were you. You can't beat the low end torque of the L98, and there are a ton of aftermarket parts easily ready. The same goes to the LT1. The L98 cars 89 I believe and under dont have really strict computer control so you can get away with more mods, like dual exhaust with out O2 similators.

Vette Dawg....

I'll tell ya what the "Vette Finder" guy told me and as Craig said, get the newest one you can afford. The Vette Finder guy strongly suggested going with the LT1 engine design. There are more after-market "goodies" for that set up than for my L98 for example.

This is my first Vette --- now I wouldn't be without one. But I gotta tell ya, even after all the good advice and suggestions - I still went with the 85 and the L98 package. Basic reason was the "torch red" color, the chome wheels, the engine modifications, and best of all - the bark that puppy has when you fire it up!!!! :_rock

Enjoy the hunt!!!

Norm

If bieng brothers makes us related, then I guess we are. It is pretty nice to have a bro that shares the same interest and is there to help with things when you need it.

Craig

vetteboy86 said:
It is pretty nice to have a bro that shares the same interest and is there to help with things when you need it.

I'll bet it is! :)

Well, I'm going to watch Conan ;LOLand go to bed. I'll be back here tomorrow evening.

Seeya and goodnight,

- Dawg

Easy answer for me, .... get a '92 Coupe, Competition Yellow, black interior, 6-speed, CD, opt for the ZR1 wheels and enjoy the removeable roof panel. LOL

Just look, and you'll come across the "One that is made for you"!

Well I believe in as it has been said to me, any year vette is a good year to own. With that said, all things are not created equally, so I would think that it would depend mostly on your budget. The vette evolves over time, and with the exception of the mid 70's through the end of the C3's (I do own one) there has been constant improvement. Now with that said the logical choice (assuming that a ZR1 is not in the picture), would be the 96 LT4, and the Z51 suspention package. This of course will always stir debate as those who prefer their L98's over the LT1's have valid reasons for their preference, such as more performance after market choices for engine mods. I suggest deciding on a budget, then find a car in good condition, with your prefered options, and get out and drive the thing.

Have fun!:beer

My favorite C4s are the first few years and the last year but for different reasons. Ever since I rode in Kens '87 at Sharkfest a few years ago I have thought about buying an early C4 to modify. If this is your intent they are hard to beat. You can get a lot of car for a little money and by the time you have 1/3 of the cost of a new one invested you will be faster and probable even handle better or at least be able to eat the paint off of their rear bumper at an open track day.

If I were going to buy one to keep original and have a long term relationship with it would be a '96 CE coupe with LT4 and 6 speed. I love the silver and the special wheels. Actually any '96 LT4 would do though.

Tom

I agree with the others, a Vette with the L98 is the way to go if you want to work on it yourself, do your own mods, etc.....

I've never driven the 4+3 stick but my 6 speed is sweet. The skipshift took some time to get use to, but that can be disabled.

Good luck, and have fun, finding that just right Vette can be a challenge but worth it.

The 96's are the most solid of the C4s, with very few squeaks or rattles. If your budget permits, definitely go for a 96 LT4. I am considering selling my 96 LT1 and picking up a nice LT4 myself. Good luck!

96 LT4 or 93 - 95 ZR-1... Go for a ZR-1 it is called "King of The Hill".

Take a look at www.rogerscorvette.com They have nice inventory of all types of Corvettes.

I was looking for a C4 convertible with a 6-speed, preferably with sawblade wheels. By '94 the A/C refrigerant had been changed to R134a, by '95 the Optispark had been made more water-resistant, and by '96 a much-improved on-board diagnostics system was available. Then there was that LT4 option ... ;)

C4s really did get better every year, but they all have that same great "look and feel" which has never been bettered, IMO. It's hard to go wrong!

Toby

If I were looking for one, that would mean I sold my LT-1.
And if I did that, I'd be looking for a ZR-1, probably a '93 - '94.
I might also be interested in a low mileage '96 LT-4 convertable.

I agree with Toby. C4 has a distinct look. But is that not true for all other years of Corvette. It is a shame one has to go away for a new model to appear. But I really like the looks of a C4 over the others. C5 is too round looking and C6 has lost the hidden head lights. I am sure newer models have better technology, but the style is not better. I really like my C4 a lot folks.

EttevroC said:
I've never driven the 4+3 stick but my 6 speed is sweet. The skipshift took some time to get use to, but that can be disabled.

Is there something diff about the skipshift?? I know the 1 to 4 light comes one but is it supposed to force you to do that ? If so mine is disabled.But I usually drive it 1-3-6 anyway .
:w

The way I see it, any vette's is a vette. I have my preferences, but they are just that "My preference". The more I learn about the C4's the more I like them. If you can afford one, and can justify it, get it. They all have their quirks and problems, and they all have their finer points as well. Just get one you can live with....you'll know it when you see it.:w Save the Wave :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom