Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Better intake with stock hood

Peer81

Corvette
'81 Black
Hello everybody,

As I recently bought a nice Dart 400ci SHP block I'm looking for a better intake then the stock L81 has (it's already aluminium but don't know the CFM) to build a nice engine. As I want to keep the stock Q-jet and airfilter (same for the hood) the options are very limited. In other topics I see the Edeblock Performer is a good alternative but is it that much better then stock? And are there any other options for me?

I'm looking for a dual plane intake with a spread bore pattern. :)

Greetings Peter

I'm looking for a dual plane intake with a spread bore pattern. :)

Peter- I've used intakes from Holley over the years.

Perhaps something like this is what you are looking for...
Holley News Street Warrior™ Small Block Chevy Intake Manifold

You mentioned a 400ci motor... so, sounds like you are looking for torque as opposed to 6k plus RPM. If that is the case, I think one like the intake above would be a good choice. They are said to be from idle to 5500 rpm.

Hope that gives you food for thought!

Hello Kane,

Thanks for your reply and great find! :)
You're correct as it will be a 400ci with high compression and a small cam for lots of torque. So I don't need big flow numbers at high valve lift but good flow numbers at 0.2 to 0.4 valve lift and nice runners for good torque figures. :) I'm not a high RPM guy so 5500 will be just fine.

I also read that the summit home intake is the same as the weiland street warrior but I'm not going to save a few bucks to get something I don't know.

Greetings Peter

I asked the very same question a few years back. Some of the seasoned veterans here said the stock 81 intake and edle performer are the same. From what I here its best to get the carb up off the engine to make good power. Edle rpm intake is very popular. I bought the 2101 edle performer, minus the egr port. GM did install a large plate under the stock 81 maniford to reduce oil splash resulting in excess heat to the carb. With slight mod to the stock air cleaner. The 2101 intake and edle carb fits under the stock hood

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom