Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Bezel/Radio removal

Tepot

Corvette
1974 Metalic Blue L-48 Coupe 4 speed
How in the hell do I remove the darn Radio in my 74 Vette. I've removed all the dash parts and now i'm at the Darn Bezel and I can get it out. The shifter console won't come out, probably because of the heater linkage and the darn radio seams to be connected to the bezel with 2 big screws on on each side under the shifter console and I get seam to be able to get there with any tools. What in the hell were they thinking when they've put 2 screws right under that we can't access.

Anyways. any ideas on how to get this stereo out?

Radio removal!

The radio can come out from the rear. If you want to remove the bezel, you have to remove 2 nuts that are located at the bottom of the bezel.
I found it was easier to remove the seats and the front console covers and then you will find 2 small nuts located at the bottom of the bezel just about where the knobs for the radio are. Are you just trying to install a new radio or are you trying to remove the bezel? PG.

The radio can come out from the rear. Are you just trying to install a new radio or are you trying to remove the bezel? PG.

Thanks for the info, I'm trying to remove the Radio. I thought I had to remove the bezel for the Radio to come off. Is there any nuts holding the stereo to the bezel or do I just pull hard on the radio to have it come out?

...Is there any nuts holding the stereo to the bezel or do I just pull hard on the radio to have it come out?...

Tepot: Purchase the '74 assembly instruction manual. The AIM shows the factory radio installation and would have already saved you a big headache.

You should find nuts behind each knob. These will release the radio from the bezel, but I'm not sure the radio will come out the back. There is not much wiggle room there. You should also find a metal brace on the radio attaching to the tranny hump on the passenger's side.

My advice would be to remove the guage cluster with the radio. Once that's out of the car, you can remove the radio from the bezel.

:)

there is a tool that is used to remove the radio nuts that hold the radio to the dash bezel. I found one on ebay a few months back and have used it quite a few times on my '78....before that, I would use needle nose pliers and gently unscrew each nut...Using the needle nose is tricky and you can easily slip and scratch the black plastic bezel...the tool looks like a socket and had two nubs sticking out on the sides so that the socket slides over the radio threads and unsrews the nut in a matter of seconds...Ill look on ebay to see if theres any more for sale.

heres a pic of the radio removal tool:

ebaytool.jpg

On my 76, I just use a deep socket to remove the nuts, since they are just ordinary type nuts. Maybe they went to a different style of nut on newer cars.

Ditto. Mine were/are hex and I put a deep socket on them.

:)[/quote)

I accessed the radio thru the console, I removed the hvac/ and reached up under the radio unit to undo hex screws. You really should take the gauge cluster out in order to access the unit and turn in out thru the passenger side of console. As mentioned in previous responses-get the service manual. Oh and disconnect the battery.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom