Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Big block side pipe install (Hookers)

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
Man, these things were a pain in the butt! The chrome side pipes did not want to slide onto the headers at all. I had to take the dremal to them and grease them up with antiseeze.

I went with the Higher Performance off road inserts. I wanted it loud, but not too loud.

Well, I heard it run. It sounds freakin strong. Except, the computer would not turn the fuel pump off after turn the car off. It is on the way back to Edebrock now and a new one on the way to me.

The engine fired right up after is spun over about two times. I did not get a chance to really break the cam in yet as I was fighting some other problems.

I am fitting the brake master cylinder now and hope to go around the block next week providing the puter shows up.

I am siked out now!:_rock

First off you heard it run!!!!! Man is that a milestone Chris, Congratulations! To bad you had another setback, though.

Its amazing how long the Hooker sidepipes have stood the test of time. Its hard to believe they don't step to the times with tuneable sound, pre coating, a little styling,ect. They just keep on, keepin on, with the same old original setup. And lets be honest you got to have a real love of listening to your V8 to live with them.

Just as an example the new Viper will have integral side exhaust (though covered) but exiting
in about the same place as the Hooker sidepipe. With 505 Cu & 500 HP it should sound awesome! Guess the sound of HP exiting out the side,lives on even in todays newest designs.

Guess its no surprise:
I love my Hooker Sidepipes!!!!

John

hooker side pipes

I bought a set for my 74, they are sitting in my garage waiting to go on this weekend, wish they were going on a 454 but I got them for the 350 1 7/8. What are all the problems that you had, that I can expect to see. I took the AC and brackets off this past weekend in prep for this weekend. Can't wait!!!!

Just jack the car up really high. Make sure you disconnect the battery. You may need to remove the starter, but I doubt. Get a good helper.

My biggest problem is the header bolt holes would not line up with the heads. Therefore, I had to drill them all out a little larger.

You will enjoy the project. I still have not decided how to reinstall my rocker covers.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom