Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! big mistake, broke off stem of oil pressure in block

tonyponykay

Corvette
1980 maroon, 1987 vert yellow/black "bumblebee"
;shrughi,

wonder if anybody has an easy way to fix a broken stem of oil pressure sender in the block of 1980 350 in my corvette. :eyerole:bash

all i can see is to take the intake manifold off, distributor out and even then, since it broken in the block, i don't know if i can get to the piece still in there.

anybody have a fix for this?;shrug

also anybody have a part number for the stem piece that connects between block and the oil pressure sender? right next to sort of below distrubutor.

emergency, can't drive this car till i plug the hole or do something with this.

thanks
tony:bash

Here are a couple of ideas to get it out:
If there is any of it sticking out above the block, you may be able to grip it with a pair of vice grips.

A left handed drill bit.

What were you doing when it broke?

If you were trying to remove it and it broke, then there is a good chance that it is cross threaded.

If a left handed drill bit or easy out dosnt take it out,its time to go old school on it.Start with a small bit and drill out the center of the switch keep working up in size becareful not to drill out the threads on the block.At the last size before drill the threads in the block the switch will fall aprt or you can chisel it out,Good luck and take your time

thanks to all

:)

thanks everybody, i managed to easy out it out and it was far easier than i imagined it would be. :cool

i envisioned horrible things like pulling the engine out in my tiny garage, it would have proved highly unlikely, first time i ever used an easy out and for a while i was turning it the wrong way, then by accident of stroke of heavenly luck, i turned it the other way and presto, it caught, and slowly pulled the offender out of the block.

:bash
:beer
:L

thanks for great ideas !

CHANGE THE OIL! There might be chips of that garbage dowen in the engine. And congratulations on your luck in getting it out with relative ease...regards...joe

Changing the oil is not going to get those chips out.

Strangely, the easiest way to do that would be to crank the engine with that fitting removed. Yes it will make a big mess with oil exiting under pressure but you can design some temporary device to catch the splash oil.

You'll only have to crank the engine for a second or so to blow the chips out of that hole with the oil flow.

change oil

thanks all for replies and info,

i got the threads out and checked that piece, i think the easy out just took it out whole piece, there was nothing to indicate anything went into the engine. my oil pressure went back to normal even after engine warmed up.

then i ran engine warm and changed oil warm, actually pretty near hot, almost skin burning hot. then i found out i was turning idle mixture screws wrong way on the car to adjust the air/fuel, when i read to turn them down to lean the air/fuel mix on a Holley, I was really happy... cause it did even out the idle and riase the vacuum to a steady 19.5 which was really good news since I just bought this corvette.

i just got my thompson acrylic t-tops to replace the glass mirrored one (one shattered but not broken out of the t-top) and they look nice.

on to the suspension and interior!
still think i have some slight vacuum leaks in engine I have to hunt down and eliminate.

thanks all for the great ideas and help:upthumbs

tony:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom