Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Biggest complaint about my C4 Vette

Guys,

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a loud exhaust system, but the DynoMax on straight pipes sounds like there are no mufflers at all! The tone was fabulous, but it would rattle the windows in the house when I pulled into the driveway, literally.

As the single cat systems go, the DynoMax mufflers sound outstanding, but they were way too loud with dual straight pipes. I am a hotrodder of the sixties, so two pipes with no crossover sounds best to me. You know, it's a personal preferenc thing.

I'm enjoying the dialog.

Have a great day,

chevyaddict said:
Loud is good! Hell, if I wanted quiet I would buy a cadillac.

I agree, Performance Loud is Good/Great . . . but vibrating/rattling noises aren't.

A performance exhaust will mask vibrating/rattling noises in a car.

Actually I too am impressed with the miles i have on mine that it doesnt rattle other then the passenger widow when down . The rattle pads are missing and its on my list. I did notic e that the stock C5's are very quiet. Too quiet!! They should at least have a tone like the ole Chevys had . The SS chevele's and Camaro's sounded sweet .
My car is like me , Loud and proud:L.....Long live the modified Vette

thats wierd

my 85 L98 makes 0 noise in exhaust

its really stiff

The '87 Vette was supposed to solve many of the rattle issues. Obviously, not.

I have addressed, with little success, some of the rattle issues in my '84. Sources are numerous, but largely center on the thin plastic interior pieces and the minimum number of fasteners. :eyerole Problem is, many repairpersons don't bother to use them all, and/or break the plastic tabs. :mad

The top rattle has a heavy sound and a fix, according to Eckler's, with some adhesive pads that Chevy added in later C-4 years. I have added the lightweight, molded sound deadener pieces to each door panel, but have insufficient time with the car to evaluate. I know how much harder they make reinstalling the panels!

Enough has been said about exhaust rattles, but I wonder if, with the rust, the weight and the reinstall of Larry's pipes, if it merely needs adjustment and/or hangers; ALL the hangers, including the ones usually left off, at the CAT. :nono

I removed the relatively restrictive stock mufflers many years ago; would not reinstall them unless doing a stock restoration. I was :) with the 3-chambered Flowmasters, for sound and flow. I found NO advantage in 'rodding out' the CAT or using a test pipe. Also, the EPA fine to anyone found doing such, is REAL hefty. :blow The stock CAT flows real well, if not plugged.

I never hear the rattles, with the top off, at highway (or more) speeds! :dance

Noise?

Both my 86 pace car convertibles are a smooth as silk on the road and are as quiet as a pin. I assume the squeaky noisy ones must be high milage cars that have been beaten up over bumpy roads.My 88 Callaway however is a bit stiff with the Z51 suspension but sounds great with the dynomax ultra flows I installed. :cool

I assume the squeaky ones must be high milage cars that have been beaten up over bumpy roads.

I.m sure your right Lou, none could be so perfect as you and yours.:eyerole

Defending theC4

Actually Dave my intent was to debase C4 bashers who claim the ride sucks and the car rattles and squeaks as opposed to blowing my own horn. I'm only a care taker of these great cars and I report to you and anyone else who cares to listen that the C4 if properly maintained is a smooth and quiet running car. :nono

Nicely stated, accepted and I agree. I mistook it to be arrogant and boastfull. I apoligize for my reaction. :eek:

:)

No worries Gus. Lou's a good ole boy. I'm just makin sure:L
I used to be a serious Bodybuilder and my head gets pumped up sometimes......:SLAP

???

Maybe I have rocks in my head but how can anyone get ****ed off or even think there is some kind of argument when a member praises the merits of a Corvette? Especially a C4!! Maybe I mistook this C4 forum for the Mustang forum. :L

I had an '86 Mustang GT with a five speed that was ten times more rattle free than my Vette ever thought about being.

Difference is, I have yet to find a 5.0 Mustang, even a warmed over one, that can stay anywhere close to my Vette.

The world's a compromise!

Have a great day,

Just to add my 2 cents on the rattles and squeaks.

My stock 88 (Z52) coupe with 40K on the clock has neither under normal conditions. It has to be a pretty rough road to get some squeaks. I recently returned from a 5200 mile cruise (Route 66 from Chicago to LA) with it and enjoyed every mile.

I did install new tires and shocks before making the trip.

The cars with more miles tend to have more squeaks and rattles... after awhile you give up trying to track them down! My '93 with 104k squeaked and rattled... My '96 only has one squeak (which is still driving me nuts) and i do get a bit of a creak/squeek when the top is off and I drive over uneven ground. I also think it makes a difference on the roads... Tallahassee has terrible roads, back in melbourne I never hear rattles (and never heard them on my '93 either)

I have no squeak/rattling problems with my 96, but if it sounded like a sports car should (it will next year) I'd be hearing the awesome rumble of my 350 :_rock

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom