Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bike Rack Mount ???

Corvette-Pilot

Corvette
1994 Black Rose Coupe
Looking into how I could mount a 2 bike rack on my 94 coupe?
I see one on ebay that somehow straps onto the rear hatch area.
I would imagine there are receiver types but I don't have a hitch.

Any ideas?
Brands?
Links for more info?

Thanks !

Reese makes receiver hitches for C4's and C5's. You might want to check out their website to see what they have. http://www.reese-hitches.com/

The hitches are receiver type but they use a flat bar instead of square tube. If nobody makes a specific bike rack, you might consider a hitch and have a rack fabricated.

Why? Put the bike in the back of your pickup truck. Don't mess up the Vette!

I have found pricing on such things at U-haul, to be best, unless a used item pops up.

I'd use a receiver-type rack and a no-holes-drilled frame mounted hitch.

Like c4cruiser said. Look at Reese Hitches. I just ordered a Reese Shadow Hitch. Class II rating. Way over what I need for towing rating just to haul a tire trailer. But the Class I hitch is no longer available. The shadow hitch hides under the car. The receiver is a flat bar. Once you pull the bar/ball off it is not very noticeable. You can mount a bike rack to the hitch.

This is the one I ordered. $93 for the hitch. Part# is R89072. R74051 wiring harness is needed if you want to use a trailer.

http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=s-2126&bool=AND&category=shad_c&maxhits=1&keywords=p0509&GO=GO%21

On the same website you can find a 2-bike carrier also made by Reese.

Graham

Pilot,

checkout www.rei.com or any outdoors outfitter for bikecarriers. I found a quality carrier with articulating arms/feet for positioning the carrier on or behind most trunks and tsilgates. Plenty of straps for snubbing down. Mine alternated betweeen being monted behind a blazer tailgate, S10 camper top, and Intrepid trunk. Works well, can be configured for 2 to 4 bikes. Also Galyean's or Cabela's online stores.
Good luck,
sbu8999

FX GS said:
On a Corvette? :(

Well I gutta tell ya,
I have a rack for my truck but we bought the Vette to cruise during the summer. My sister-in-law lives on Cape Cod so we go there a lot and it is perfect for bike rides along the ocean. I would prefer to take the Vette and the bikes vs having to choose between the bikes or the Vette. A personal choice.

Hrtbeat1 said:
Cape Cod has no bike rental places?:confused
I'm sure there are but why bother when I have a perfectly good $500 mountain bike in the garage :)

Sorry that was meant as sarcasm.;)

Check into Reese. They make a low profile type that uses a flat bar receiver hitch. Back when I only had one car (a Mitsu Eclipse) I got one to pull my little jon boat. It was a class II hitch but worked well pulling my little boat/trailer combo. The combo only weighed around 800lbs. The bracket used U bolts to go around the rear bumper extention mounts and one 1/2" bolt thru the spare tire well. It was kinda tough installing (fumbling around between the body and bumper) but it worked well and was almost unnoticeable with the flat bar removed.

I know what you mean about having a nice bike. Rentals just don't compare. Personally I have a $700 Specalized mountain bike that I love. But not more than the Vette :D

C ya

:pat
:CAC

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom