Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Binding & grinding in rear end

R

Ramsey

Wanted to check and see if anyone knows about a binding or grinding noise in the rear end of their 2006 c6 vet. Have taken mine to the dealership and they have not been able to diagnose the problem yet and can't find a techinical advisory for it. Mostly does it when turning normal corners or backing up. The service tech drove it to the bay to be looked at and heard it and said it should not be making that noise. Very similar to the noise my 1972 made when the posi traction grease needed to be changed. Any suggestions?

I had a similar problem on a 2000 vert. The noise only happened when you made a slow turn, ie in a parking garage. The dealer replaced the fluid in the differential and charged me for the fluid. I raised hell and eventually got my money back. The noise showed up again so they again replaced the fluid, but this time they talked with someone in Bowling Green. Turns out they used the wrong fluid when they replaced it the first time. They had to drain, flush, fill three times to get the old stuff out. That lasted for a while and then it was back. This time it was diagnosed as the left muffler. It was replaced. Things were going fine until the last month or two. Now the noise is back.

You mean this issue?

Rear Axle Chatter Shudder on Turns - keywords differential fluid noise oil #PIP3559 - (Sep 22, 2005)
Rear Axle Chatter Shudder on Turns
1999-2006 Chevrolet Corvette

2004-2006 Cadillac XLR

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Rear axle chatter or shudder on turns on Chevrolet Corvette and Cadillac XLR.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If this is the first complaint for this condition flush and fill the rear axle with P/N 89021669 (in Canada 89021670) gear lube and 4 ounces of the friction modifier additive P/N 01052358 (in Canada 992694).
If this is a repeat complaint or the condition persists after the flush and fill, replace the right and left rear axle clutch packs following published service procedures.
After clutch pack replacement use 1.6 l (1.69 qt) synthetic axle lubricant GM P/N 12378261 (Canadian P/N 10953455). and 4 ounces of the friction modifier additive P/N 01052358 (in Canada 992694).
Note: 2006 Z06 equipped vehicles require 2.55 l (2.70 qt) synthetic axle lubricant GM P/N 12378261 (Canadian P/N 10953455) and approximately 190 ml (6.4 oz) limited-slip differential lubricant additive GM P/N 1052358 (Canadian P/N 992694).

Note: Export vehicles use 2.01 l (2.12 qt) synthetic axle lubricant GM P/N 12378261 (Canadian P/N 10953455) and approximately 150 ml (5.1 oz) limited-slip differential lubricant additive GM P/N 1052358 (Canadian P/N 992694).

Once the axle fluid has been changed the car must be driven in 8 - 10 SLOW figure eights to work the fluid between the clutch plates.

Last week when I had my 2005 C6 in the shop for the Roof (that's a whole different story) the service writer told me that when he and the Shop foreman took my car for a test drive to check the roof they noticed a whinning/grinding type noise coming from the rear end, (I only have about 12k miles on the car) now understand this is them telling me this and then wondering if I had noticed it???, I told them no but if they felt it was a problem then look into it and see if it can be fixed, now that I have a copy of what Volocty has posted I'm going to show it to them when I go back and pick up my roof.
Was there ever a service bulletin issued for this problem?
thanks

The solution described above is what they did to mine. Since mine still does it and is out of warranty by months and not miles, I guess I get to eat the replacement parts if I decide to have it fixed.

The solution described above is what they did to mine. Since mine still does it and is out of warranty by months and not miles, I guess I get to eat the replacement parts if I decide to have it fixed.
HI there,
You might want to change out the fluid and add 2 bottles of friction modifier, that could help your situation without the cost of an overhaul.
Allthebest, c4c5

[I took my 2005 C6-z51 in for Oil change last Friday. They told me there WAS an update on the grinding. (if people were complaining). They did the rework no charge. They put some additive in the rear? sorry. i dont have the paperwork in front of me. they told me if the sound of grinding when i turn very slow continues. they will replace under warranty. something with the real disc and diferential? sorry for not giving detail information. they also put the adhesive in my top. i was not happy about the sloppy job. i requested a new roof. they said they will order a new roof. i am disappointed in the workmanship at the dealer as well as the factory. this is very frustrating to me. i am a female and dont really know any of the tech stuff. only that i have wanted this car all my life and i love it. but am not happy that i have to spend so much time at the dealer. i live in southern california. i have been going to rydell chevy. if anyone knows of this dealer. or can recommend a reliable dealer in my area. i would love to know. thank u.

What the dealerships have been doing is:
1st complaint~ change fluid and friction modifier,test car by doing 8-10 SLOW figure 8's to wash clutch packs. Redrain and repeat. Deliver car.

2nd complaint~ Change clutch packs and refill. Roadtest & deliver car.

Just a tidbit of info~the base axle gets clutch packs with a frction value of "2.0."
The Z06 gets a value of "2.5."

Dang if I know what it means,only difference I can figure is wider tires.

C4C5,
In the PI I saw on the problem it said to replace fluid with new stuff and add friction modifier. On complaint 2 from customer to replace clutch packs and refill with GM synthetic and friction modifier. My question is would we benefit from skipping step one and drain and fill with the synthetic and friction modifier? Mine is grinding some but with 500rwhp that warrantee thing is out the window. I was going to go ahead and put the synth in.
rj

I have a similar sound when turning slow in parking lots. It sounds to me like it is a dry suspension bushing or something like that. More of a binding ,muffled squarky noise. as soon as I get the chance i`ll be under with some bushing lube. Really don`t wanna take it back to the dealer.

Thanks

Rear Axle Chatter Shudder on Turns - keywords differential fluid noise oil #PIP3559 - (Sep 22, 2005)

2004-2006 Cadillac XLR

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

If this is the first complaint for this condition flush and fill the rear axle with P/N 89021669 (in Canada 89021670) gear lube and 4 ounces of the friction modifier additive P/N 01052358 (in Canada 992694).
If this is a repeat complaint or the condition persists after the flush and fill, replace the right and left rear axle clutch packs following published service procedures.
After clutch pack replacement use 1.6 l (1.69 qt) synthetic axle lubricant GM P/N 12378261 (Canadian P/N 10953455). and 4 ounces of the friction modifier additive P/N 01052358 (in Canada 992694).
Note: 2006 Z06 equipped vehicles require 2.55 l (2.70 qt) synthetic axle lubricant GM P/N 12378261 (Canadian P/N 10953455) and approximately 190 ml (6.4 oz) limited-slip differential lubricant additive GM P/N 1052358 (Canadian P/N 992694).

Note: Export vehicles use 2.01 l (2.12 qt) synthetic axle lubricant GM P/N 12378261 (Canadian P/N 10953455) and approximately 150 ml (5.1 oz) limited-slip differential lubricant additive GM P/N 1052358 (Canadian P/N 992694).

Once the axle fluid has been changed the car must be driven in 8 - 10 SLOW figure eights to work the fluid between the clutch plates.

For the professional information presented with this post. I'm taking my 2006 Coupe to the local dealer for this condition tomorrow, and I'll take along a printed copy of this to convince him there is a problem and a factory advisory which describes a fix for it. BTW, What does the acronym "PI" stand for?

i was under the impression the first "fix" was non synthenic gear lube was i told wrong?????

I have the same problem on a 06 with the paddle shift transmission. It actually sounds like something is grinding and getting caught up. The dealer told me before it was the tire rubbing when the wheel was turned and they moved something out of the way.
My question is that if this has been a known issue by GM since 04 why not fix this at the factory?

Well, factory manufacture of the differential friction plates is never exact.
A simple fluid flush cures a high percentage of these problems, because there is so much preload on the clutches, it make them slip more consistantly.
It really is that simple, after over 25 different flushes in 2005-2007, not one required clutch pack changing.
Allthebest, :hb

2004-2006 Cadillac XLR

Condition/Concern:

I am taking my 05 to the dealer next week for this problem. But, since the above post the information has been updated to require that the rear axle be flushed and filled with synthetic axle lube. I had been noticing the popping and chattering from the rear for some time. When I had it in for another problem the Vette mechanic, who is a friend of mine, informed me that that is a known problem and printed the service information for me. He also said he couldn't just fix it on his own and I would first have to complain to the service adviser. He also pointed out a leak at my oil pan and at the trans in the rear. So I complained to the service adviser a few days later, so my friend wouldn't get in trouble for informing me of the problems, and it goes in next week for repairs. You would think that if the mechanic notices problems they can just fix them, but no, GM doesn't want to pay for any more claims then they have to. So make sure you find and report any problems while they are still covered.

Just dropped wife's 2006 with 6650 miles on it for this problem. Took this post with me for explanation and took the service writer with me for a little drive just so he could hear/feel it too!
Let ya know how it turns out tomorrow.

Appreciate y'all posting this. As soon as she told me about it I knew there was an old post about it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom