Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Binding & grinding in rear end

For the professional information presented with this post. I'm taking my 2006 Coupe to the local dealer for this condition tomorrow, and I'll take along a printed copy of this to convince him there is a problem and a factory advisory which describes a fix for it. BTW, What does the acronym "PI" stand for?

Private Investigator??

PRELIMINARY INFORMATION!!!!
And its been updated, so disregard it!!!
That is why its preliminary, because it will be changed.
Adding 2 bottles of frictional modifier then topping off with synthetic axle lubricant is the course of action now taken. There has NOT BEEN ONE that I have had to disassemble when adding 2 bottles, and only 1 that required another fluid change after adding only 1 bottle of modifier.
Allthebest, c4c5

Drained, flushed, re-filled with new fluid and 2 bottles of additive....
Sounds good as new.......
And washed to boot!

How about the 2007 model? Any reported problems with the rear end? I am just getting used to the car, had it 2 weeks, so all the noises are new to me.:)

There's been RAVE reviews (on corvetteforum.com) about using Amsoil 75W-90 -severe gear oil in the diffs without any need for additional friction modifier.

After changing the fluid - go out and do a bunch of TIGHT crazy 8's going both directions. This will force the fluid in & around the clutch paks in the diff.

We've got the Amsoil in our C5 and our neiphew had some grinding in his C5 and changing over to Amsoil got rid of the grinding.

Good Luck!

HI there,
I have had 2 differentials that I have to change the clutch packages for wearing out, because there is TOO MUCH slip.
YOU ALWAYS NEED friction modifier, no questions asked.
Allthebest, c4c5

Took my 2006 6k miles into dealer yesterday for grinding noise in rear. Told about bulletin and they were aware of the issue. Fixed today, said had to replace clutches. Also fixing ash tray popping open. Should be perfect!! (I hope!!)

Paul,
Is it safe to say that if the problem repeats that the clutches need to be inspected?

Thanks, congrats on certification!

HI there,
There have been a few cases, if after the bulletin is followed and the noise still is there, that the clutches need to be replaced.
Its not often, but yes, it does happen.
Allthebest, c4c5

Raising thread from the dead!

Hi there,
Synthetic has been factory fill since the late 98s.
As for the rest, see my previous post on this, up near the top of the page.
Allthebest, :hb

First off, does this info on the noisy clutch packs pertain to C5's also? Also I noticed that you said the synthetic has been used since late 98! What effect will it have if they put it in a high mileage 97 (100K)? Are the 1997 style packs compatible with the synthetic fluid or will they need to be replaced? Might I still see some benefit in noise reduction if they add the second bottle of the friction modifier?

First off, does this info on the noisy clutch packs pertain to C5's also? Also I noticed that you said the synthetic has been used since late 98! What effect will it have if they put it in a high mileage 97 (100K)? Are the 1997 style packs compatible with the synthetic fluid or will they need to be replaced? Might I still see some benefit in noise reduction if they add the second bottle of the friction modifier?
Haven't posted here in forever..but...I got an e-mail somehow on this thread.

Our C5 (2001 w/ 35K on it) rear-end was chatty (chattered). We ditched the oil in it and put Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 in it. This is supposed to already have the friction modifiers in it.

After installing the oil - we took the vette to an empty parking lot did several tight tight V8 turns in both directions. This is supposed to get the oil worked into the clutch paks.

The chatter is completely gone and it's been good for an entire year now.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom