Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bird Sh!t

B

Boater Chuck

Parked my car at work for 10 hours and came out to 2 bird droppings on the roof paint. These were not the plain old white kind, they were the serious lumpy kind. Went home and removed the droppings, but it looks like the clearcoat is actually etched!

Any advice on what to do??

Thanks
Chuck

yes, I agree,. But if that doesn't work, you can get it out with a clay bar too

I agree. Clay bar,cleaner then glaze. She'll be good as new:cool

Don't mean to be the group pessimist here, but you may never be able to remove all of the etching. Bird bombs can be highly acidic and can etch the clear coat before you have a chance to try and take care of it.

You will definitely need the help of an abrasive in order to try and remove the damaged clear coat, and many passes with an abrasive may be necessary - don't give up after the first application. 3M makes some nice products, and I have had very nice results with 3M Finish Restorer.

Depending on what you have as a top coat on your car (polymer vs. wax) you'll want to reapply it to the effected area, as an abrasive will remove what you already have on the car.

I am afraid Ruby is right!

So far, I have tried a clay bar, McQuires #2 and #1, and Zaino #2.

Still there and does not appear to be getting any better.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Chuck

bird buffing

When I find a tough paint situation as you described, I get out the fine polishing compound. But, I use a blend of wax and just an ever so slight dab of polishing compound. I confine the area, because of the scratches it can do to the finish. I then remove the dried mix and check for improvements. I then finish off with wax and rub hard enough to create a little heat to the finish, so as to remove most of the scratches.

I've had good luck removing the etching you describe with Meguiar's #9 in the brown bottle. It's less aggressive than the lower numbers, but it's more controllable.

Generally, the orange peel in the area will get smoothed out, but the mark will be gone.

Just take it gradually.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom