Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Black Box on '99 Corvette?

SleekStreak

Corvette
1999 Pewter Roadster
I have been hearing recently about many late model cars cars having black boxes that, similar to those used on airplanes, record all data, for example, speed, that is later replayed by insurance and law enforcement personnel, usually to the drivers detriment. While it is not my intention here to argue the merits for or against the use of such devices, my question first is: does my '99 Corvette have such a device on it? If so, can I disable it without otherwise disrupting the operation of my car?

I don't know about yoour 99, but my 03 had a "Black Box". I had it in the shop one time and they hooked up the TEC-2 reader to it and it told everything about the car, including speeds!!! Showed that I had the car up to 122mph. And if I'm not mistaken, even the date it happened.
Check under your dash right under the steering wheel. There should be a "port" there. That's where they hook up the TEC-2.

Scary, isn't it????

.... my question first is: does my '99 Corvette have such a device on it? If so, can I disable it without otherwise disrupting the operation of my car?
Yep, you got one. It has been in the C5 from the start. Is in all GM products now. It is part of the airbag activation system. It keeps looping and records what has happened in the last 30 seconds. It stops recording when there is an airbag deployment. It records things like speed, throttle position, anti-lock brake setting, etc, etc. Intent is to help designers in building safer cars buy giving more detailed accident information. But.....

Guess it could be removed if you are an electonics expert. But it is tied into multiple systems so would be very hard to do, and no telling what it would do the the "systems".

tom..

Last 30 seconds????????????

OK. so if l happened to have hit 145mph two weeks ago it wouldn't be recorded?

Talk to me big brother.

Scary out there, l wonder if my toilet bowl keeps a record of how many times l flush!

Alan:beer

That's for sure

Live fast and furious but leave a good looking corpse!

Alan

OK. so if l happened to have hit 145mph two weeks ago it wouldn't be recorded?
Only if it happened in the last 30 seconds or so....

Scary out there, l wonder if my toilet bowl keeps a record of how many times l flush!
Yep, the water company keeps those records :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingman

Yep, the water company keeps those records :D

Bet you by now they can tell which brand of cereal you had in the morning!:eek:hnoes

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom