Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Black i have another question

ptorlax18

Corvette
1986 Silver and Black Coupe
this may seem liek teh same question i have asked. you seem like the the forced indcution expert. i also was looking at a supercharger by procharger i have a 86 with 86000 miles no drivetrain upgrades. will this destroy my engine and drivetrain as is. the put it on a stock 89 and with no upgrades and put it on a dyno and also ran it agaist a z-r1 and beat it let me know thanks

yea sorry i was typing in a rush. k let me make myself more clear. I asked about the turbo and i never really asked the question i really wanted to know. But now i found a supercharger(which i hear is better and more reliable). The super charger is made by procharger and it has a complete kit. I asked for a catalog for the C4. i just recived it today it seems very nice. there is only one mod needed to put it in( flip the altenator around) It looks liek it puts out a good amount of power. But what i really want to know and this is what i wanted to ask before was do i need to upgrade my cars drive train, motor, etc to be able to put up with teh power it will be making after the install. it is still all stock on my car and i have 86000 miles. The catalog comes with a article where they instaled the kit on a bone stock 89 and it made a big difference it actually beat a 92 Z-R1 in a drag race. What i am asking is will teh supercharger hurt my stock engine more than help it?

I believe you can run around 6 lbs of boost without major concerns to immediate destruction of the motor. Yes eventually the supercharger would make it fail sooner then expected, anytime you had performance parts to a motor with stock internals you create more wear on them. If you have an auto the Dana 36 would need to be changed or rebuilt, but that is not something I am very familiar with.

You would obviously have to have it retuned by somebody that knows how to tune C4's with superchargers.

I have heard great things of procharger. I would advise you get the intercooled one though. It is doable, and with the torque C4's put out I am not to suprised it took a stock ZR1 in a 1/4 mile run.

ptorlax18 said:
yes it is an auto...what is the dana 36?

That is the kind of differential you have. The ones on the auto cars are weak. But you can upgrade to a manual Dana 44 differential.

i never knew that is what it was called thanks alot so can i order that direct from gm or what?

ptorlax18 said:
i never knew that is what it was called thanks alot so can i order that direct from gm or what?

Only way I know how to get a Dana 44 is out of a manual C4. I think any year will work out of the C4 years.

now is it a new ratio or is just beefy gears............will it make that big of a differeance

corvette america has rebuilt rear diffs for manual or auto. What is teh Dana 44 ratio. because they make a ratio 3:75 for auto and he same for manual so i was wondering if that is teh same as a dana 44?

ptorlax18 I'm seldom on this forum just happened to come here and saw your post. KIWI VETTE gave you some good advice in your last post. Buy the Corky Bell book and read it. I'm going to be blunt Anyone who knows so little about his car that he don't know the difference between a Dana 36 and a 44 has no business trying to install a supercharger on his car because it is a recipe for disaster. Their is so much that you need to learn before you attempt Forced Induction that I could wear my keyboard out and we would only have scratched the surface for what you need to know.
Start buying books and reading at 19 you have lots of time learn or do what I suspect you will do anyway put it on and learn the hard way. If you look around you can find used blowers real cheap because many like you thought they had to have a blower after they have made junk out of their car and don't have the money to fix it they sell the blower.
Asking for advice on the internet about forced Induction is not what you should be doing. Far too much bad advice given on this subject. Buy all the good books that you can find and read them. If you don't learn before you try this I sure hope you have a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ your going to need them. SORRY but that is the cold hard facts.

ptorlax18 said:
corvette america has rebuilt rear diffs for manual or auto. What is teh Dana 44 ratio. because they make a ratio 3:75 for auto and he same for manual so i was wondering if that is teh same as a dana 44?

A Dana 44 rear end has a larger ring gear (either 8.25" or 8.5" - I don't remember off the top of my head). It also has beefier internals to put up with the stresses associated with a manual tansmission.

The standard ratio for a Dana 44 out of a manual C4 is 3.45:1. Of course, there are a variety of suppliers that make different rear ratios for you to choose.

Your best bet is to call a Corvette salvage yard and see how much they want - this isn't something that you'd want to order from your local Chevy dealer unless you have lots of money to spend.

Good Luck,
Steven

Black Bart said:
ptorlax18 I'm seldom on this forum just happened to come here and saw your post. KIWI VETTE gave you some good advice in your last post. Buy the Corky Bell book and read it. I'm going to be blunt Anyone who knows so little about his car that he don't know the difference between a Dana 36 and a 44 has no business trying to install a supercharger on his car because it is a recipe for disaster. Their is so much that you need to learn before you attempt Forced Induction that I could wear my keyboard out and we would only have scratched the surface for what you need to know.
Start buying books and reading at 19 you have lots of time learn or do what I suspect you will do anyway put it on and learn the hard way. If you look around you can find used blowers real cheap because many like you thought they had to have a blower after they have made junk out of their car and don't have the money to fix it they sell the blower.
Asking for advice on the internet about forced Induction is not what you should be doing. Far too much bad advice given on this subject. Buy all the good books that you can find and read them. If you don't learn before you try this I sure hope you have a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ your going to need them. SORRY but that is the cold hard facts.

Yep.

What he said!!!!!!

Good advice.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom