Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Black Magic Tire Wet -EGAD!!!

Jeb said:
I can remember the days of wiping the tires with brake fluid.
I was waiting for someone else to mention that this time around. Thanks Jeb. :upthumbs

Yep, brake fluid made e'm look good but it dried the hell out of the rubber. :L

I wouldn't doubt that the possibility exists for that happening if one uses WD-40 on 'em too, after all, it is a water-displacing chemical. ;)

Besides EttevroC, am I the only one that thinks tires shouldn't be shiny, just clean?

Alan76 said:
a thin coat of W-d 40
U know that is mostly kerosene, I just heard?

I've used about 1/2 the bottle of Black Magic with the foam applicator and I have not had any problems. I spray it on the applicator and then apply to the tires. Looks great and does not collect stuff on my tires.

Gus
chrom2.jpg

Egad!

WradDad said:
Besides EttevroC, am I the only one that thinks tires shouldn't be shiny, just clean?
I'M WITH THESE GUYS.
Alan76 said:
a thin coat of W-d 40
U know that is mostly kerosene, I just heard? I have used it on salmon bait, though.

i second the brillo pad method. brillo pads also work wonders on the upper and lower a-arms. my girlfriend bought some arm and hammer sponge things for the house. they work great removing spots and marks from walls, doors. etc. anyway i tried it on the seats and doors of the vette. looks BRAN-SPANKING-NEW!! no chemicals. just run under some water and ring it out. its called arm and hammer "magic eraser."

I moved this thread; it's more of a Care & Detailing thing. :CAC

Yeah that stuff sucks..........How about GADZOUKS !!!!! Mr. Bluster used to say that on the Howdy Dooty Show.....Also COWABUNGA...Chief Thunder Thud.............Hey I'm older than dirt!!!!!!!

For those of you that get tire sling, you might consider buffing the tire off after you apply your dressing to it. It will remove the excess and should help with sling a lot.

Regalniz, it's a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. ;)

Dont have rasied white letters on the Vette but do on the Jeep. It gets in the mud and muck and is a daily driver so it gets alot more abuse then the vette tires. I have fought for years for a way to make the white letters come clean. FInally found it but I caution anyone to take special care if going to do this.
1. wash tires as normal with car wash soap
2. Spray Jacobs Graffiti remover on a rag
3. Rub onto letters (when i say rub just mean coat lightly. it really doesnt require any elbow grease, and do all 4 tires. Once your done with the last one thats about the right about of time for it to sit ...30-45 sec)
4. rinse throughly with water
5. wash again with soapy water
6. Use what ever product for your tires ( I use only Meguires Hot shot spray)

This will get your letters as white as the day you got the tires. I have people ask me all the time how I get them clean
Now the reason I cautioned everyone is because this product is designed to remove graffiti, pant and other things with a harsh chemical. It will burn your hands....use gloves if you have to. It works great though...use to watch my dad scrub his with a brillow pad..

Egads! That's a blast from the past!

I haven't heard that in awhile! Bummer on the splatter, that would p*ss off the good humor man! I have a garage queen so I wash'em with Zymol car wash & if it don't do it I use a little 50/50 simple green & an Oxo brush. I used to use a brillo & wipe & buff of air compressor oil way back when brake fluid was in vogue; but now I just use some 303 protectant & those cheapie M/F towels to apply & buff. That would annoy me if the stuff went all over the paint! Tom.

Tire gunk

Paul T said:
Try using Wesley's Blech White. It will whiten up the letters and give the black rubber a nice new fresh look, without any shine. Which is the way tires should look.
Paul
I second the "Bleche White",and then second the Meguire's!And add "For the love of pete!!!!And "Cheese and Rice!!!

I use bleech-white and a brass brush on white letters and whitewalls, generic white wall cleaner concentrate ( diluted of course )from Hou-Chem with a medium firm tire brush on the tires and finish up with Meguiars " Natural Shine" on the tires and interior parts that arent leather. I don't care care for the look of shiny tires and the meguiars gives them just the right look.