Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Blanked radio

PAULIE B

Corvette
2007 sliver, 02 sold ,87 sold
Just took the vette out for a ride and was changing the time. then proceeded to turn on the radio and then it went blank. checked the fuses and all good. did find the cig/ltr fuse blown and changed it. but as far as the radio any ideas? or links! :confused
Paul

Sure sounds like a fuse issue but I doubt the radio and the lighter are on the same circuit.

-Mac

I did check the radio fuse and found not blown. Is there another fuse? Possibly an inline fuse? ;help

I did check the radio fuse and found not blown. Is there another fuse? Possibly an inline fuse? ;help

I'm a C3 kinda guy but I doubt they have an inline fuse unless it's an aftermarket radio. Did you check the connectors at the radio? How about the ground??

Where's GMJunkie when you need him?

-Mac

Wow, that sounds really strange. I can't imagine what might have happened. It would be nice if Junkie would check in here......Jesse!

Is it just the display that is blank? Meaning does the radio come on and work but the display is dead?

Is it just the display that is blank? Meaning does the radio come on and work but the display is dead?

The whole thing is DEAD:mad. Someone said it might be in LOC mode. But no display at all. So if anyone has any suggestions PLEASE chime in.
The car sat for bout three weeks with out driving it. But I did start it up a couple times. So I am :confused. When I get a chance I will look into it deeper, till then I don't know!!! :confused :confused :confused
Thanks
Paul

The whole thing is DEAD:mad. Someone said it might be in LOC mode. But no display at all. So if anyone has any suggestions PLEASE chime in.
The car sat for bout three weeks with out driving it. But I did start it up a couple times. So I am :confused. When I get a chance I will look into it deeper, till then I don't know!!! :confused :confused :confused
Thanks
Paul

Today is Sunday and it's the day I usually take my vette to the car show at CapTree State park.
So anyway, guess what? Started the vette and the RADIO WORKS. :happyanim:WTF happened.

These cars
are so complicated and funny.
I don't know how some of you guys feel after you bought your vette (used) but, sometimes I am afraid to start or even drive it that something is going to spazz out.

I love the car! It was a great ride this morning. Took my son and we had a great time!!!
It just turned 50k miles today. I guess these car should be driven a lot more!!!!
I m just saying.
I don't know what happened with the radio I guess it needed to reset somehow.
Strange
Paul:w

I'm thinking flakey connection... whether it's the power harness or the grounding strap... So enjoy it while it works but the issue is likely to reoccur again.

Glad to hear the tunes returned!

-Mac

I agree that these cars seem to be complicated and unnecessarily so. They keep putting more "dumb" electronic gizmos in themo which serve to do nothing but cause problems. Have you seen the 2011 models and the ridiculous actions you must take if your battery dies? In that case, when the battery gets real low the windows automatically go down a bit. They have to because the doors can't be opened with the windows all the way up. That is because they extend into a recessed grove in the roof. So, then you have to insert a key up under the rear of the trunk which opens the trunk. Then you reach into the trunk and pull two levers which release the door which is necessary because the battery is dead so the doors won't unlock. Then once inside the car you can open the hood to get to the dead battery. I mean really - could they make a more complicated system to unlock the doors. Why not just return to a key hole somewhere around the door handle. (I think I got that procedure correct. The salesman who was trying to explain the procedures wasn't all that clear about it.

Hey you know what...I was driving the vette to the car show Sunday and on the way to the beach it's a good 30 mile drive, I like to use the cruise control. So, as I was setting the cruise control the radio went out and I was like WTF:mad. Realized what I was doing and turned the cruise control off. And :upthumbsit came back on:thumb.
WTF is up. I don't know. Anybody hear anything like?

Not sure what the connection is.....a bad ground comes to mind right off, but I'm no electrical whiz. Junkie, where are you?

Ok radio worked last time I took it out. Now it's out again:mad. Now...not only the radio is out the DIC is telling me SER TIRE MON..SOON :ugh WTF. SEEMS THE LEFT FRONT TIRE PREASURE SAYS XXX. WTF They are new. any ideas? It's going in for inspection and pm service next week.:mad

... Now...not only the radio is out the DIC is telling me SER TIRE MON..SOON :ugh WTF. SEEMS THE LEFT FRONT TIRE PREASURE SAYS XXX. WTF They are new. any ideas? It's going in for inspection and pm service next week.:mad

Are the tires new or the pressure sensors (inside the rims) new? Or both?

My '04 has started doing the same thing over the past 6 months. If the sensors are new, my guess is that your tire pressure sensors were not properly reset when the new ones were installed; if they're old (like mine), they're probably dying. They only have a finite lifetime before the batteries inside of them give out, and I believe it's generally stated as five years. The sensors in mine are the originals from the factory...

You can try to reset the sensor by going through the re-learn procedure (substitute a common magnet in place of the "J 41760 Tire Pressure Monitor [TPM] System Programming Tool" called out in the instructions; I use an old transmission pan magnet); but if your sensor is old and failing, that's probably a short-term solution. Ultimately, the sensor would need to be replaced.

I personally think you have faulty Grounding or Power Distribution Connection problems! More than likely the grounds!:thumb

I'm in the middle of trying to match the paint on my ride after some No English Speaking,No Insurance Cell Phone Talking Winch rammed me in the A$$ at a stop light!
:hb
I'll try to dig up pertinent ground locations for cruse and radio when I get this paint thing Whipped!~!!:thumb

Attachments

• IMG_3752 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3752 (Small).JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 78

Attachments

• C5 Chassis Ground Locations.jpg
    C5 Chassis Ground Locations.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 136
Thanks to you Jesse, for jumping in here. I'm no mechanic, but the symptoms sounded like a ground issue to me. :thumb

Just for my clarification now: are you suggeting that the suspected grounding problem is related to the blanked radio display, the DIC message regarding the TPMS, or both...?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom