Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Blasted brakes....

K

Kap142

Am the new father to a beautiful 72 BB coupe. But I'm having a fit with the brakes.

Just after I got her home I swaped the master cylinder out because I had way too much pedal. I thought the MC was bad so I replaced it and bleed both the MC and the system. Wasn't any better so then I pulled all the wheels and gravity bleed the system. A little better so I again gravity bleed the system and thier awfull. I am going sorta crazy here.

It appears that the calipers and pads are all new as she is a restored car with manual brakes. I have no idea if the discs have been turned or if their SS pistons but when you run a 454 you gotta stop too.

I am open to all ideas

Ken

If the calipers have been changed, then you may need to bleed and rebleed the system. I have heard from a few people here, that it took several times to get a firm pedal.

I bled my brakes 3 or 4 times after a complete rebuild.

Check the run out on all four corners. Sounds like you are getting air into the system from somewhere.

:)

OK gonna try....

Bleeding them again. Talked to a buddy who's a mechanic and I'll try a slightly different method. If that doesn't work we'll start measuring run out. I'll let ya know. Thanks

OK getting much better...

Did the "pump up and bleed" route which was done twice all around to include the master cyl.. Even gave those little sucker bubbles time to collect then blew um out. Finally have reached "not bad". Jeeze what an improvement.

Thanks for all the help guys

Did you bench-bleed the master cylinder first? If not, you'll never get the air pockets out of the bore and get a high, solid pedal.

:beer

Check the run out on all four corners. Sounds like you are getting air into the system from somewhere.

:)

Mikes right here, if the runout is excessive and doesn't meet factory, it pumps air back into the system.

Use a dial guage to check the runout.

Cheers

Tony

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom