Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: bleeding master cylinder

dutchboy6804

Corvette
1981 drk. blue
Hi, i'm new to the forum, they call me dutch. I was wondering if someone could tell me how to bleed the mc on a 81 corvett.

thanks in advance .

Does this help...

Lock the new M/C in a vise, attach the bleeder tubes to the ports and the tubes empty back into the reservoir, fill M/C with fluid and tilt down and up and left and right while bleeding.
bleedingMC.jpg

bleeding mc

thanks pete , my mc is still on the car but for some reason it's empty . The car hasn't been driven for about 3 yrs.

If the m/c is empty then there is a leak somewhere. You should remove each wheel and inspect the brakes. You might have a leak at a wheel cylinder or there might be a leak in a line. After you install a new M/C you also need to bleed out any air in the lines.

thanks tmk, I guess my next step will be too pull the wheels and look for a leak . the car is parked on pavement and i never saw signs of a leak . I guess thats why i thought it might have drained down or something.

Welcome to CAC!!!!
hope you enjoy the forums!!!!
If you cant find a leak,it might be leaking into the power booster behind it..

Buy a motive bleeder. Use c clamps to hold it on the M/C. I would first pull the M/c and check it, if appears ok then bench bleed it,install it then use the Motive per circuit. Pump it up to 10-13 psi and see if the gauge drops, if so you have a leak which I suspect you have. Sitting for years will wreck the bores and turn the BF into an acidic muck. Good luck

Bleeding mc

Buy a motive bleeder. Use c clamps to hold it on the M/C. I would first pull the M/c and check it, if appears ok then bench bleed it,install it then use the Motive per circuit. Pump it up to 10-13 psi and see if the gauge drops, if so you have a leak which I suspect you have. Sitting for years will wreck the bores and turn the BF into an acidic muck. Good luck

GTR. is this bleeder sold at any auto parts store ?

if it's been sitting for 3 years empty, it's probably something you'll want to replace. Definitely pull it off and bench bleed it but if you see any leakage or it won't hold pressure if you test it with a Motive bleeder, then replace it. A new MC is good piece of mind as they aren't too expensive. Once you have a good MC, bleed all your calipers and check for leaks frequently as they are known to go bad after a while.

Bleeding MC

if it's been sitting for 3 years empty, it's probably something you'll want to replace. Definitely pull it off and bench bleed it but if you see any leakage or it won't hold pressure if you test it with a Motive bleeder, then replace it. A new MC is good piece of mind as they aren't too expensive. Once you have a good MC, bleed all your calipers and check for leaks frequently as they are known to go bad after a while.

White, that sound like the best route . Peace of mind goes a long way , espeally when your going to sell it. I want to get it road worthy first .

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom