Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Blown Engine Replacement

A good mechanic?

A good mechanic would be able to quickly find the cause of the problem. A good mechanic wouldn't even think about replacing the engine until he had determined what the problem is. Only 80,000 on an '84? This car is just barely broken in!

You're going to be very frustrated if you replace the engine, and then discover it's something simple, or if it's something not even related to the engine!

A good mechanic would be able to quickly find the cause of the problem. A good mechanic wouldn't even think about replacing the engine until he had determined what the problem is. Only 80,000 on an '84? This car is just barely broken in!

You're going to be very frustrated if you replace the engine, and then discover it's something simple, or if it's something not even related to the engine!

My Dad owns a auto repair shop. Been doing it 40+ years. We bought a boring scope for just this situation. It allows us to look inside the engine thru the spark plug holes. This has saved our customers a ton of money because it is simple and will show us bent valves or melted and cracked pistons. Cost almost 2k but one thing we have never done is shy away from buying the best diagnostic tools we can.

I am definitely of the belief the pulling of the engine here was premature. Just my .02

I hoper SteveF keeps up up to date, so we can see the ending of this Mystery Movie!

The problem you have is either the timing chain has jumped one tooth or the timing chain is about to come apart.... this would cause the exact problem you have... Do not through away money on another motor without checking this... check the timing marks on both gears on front of motor to make sure that they line up as they should.... your mech. should be able to do this... It will require taking off the water pump to get to it...
Mike R

The problem you have is either the timing chain has jumped one tooth or the timing chain is about to come apart.... this would cause the exact problem you have... Do not through away money on another motor without checking this... check the timing marks on both gears on front of motor to make sure that they line up as they should.... your mech. should be able to do this... It will require taking off the water pump to get to it...
Mike R

Which was my vote! :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom