Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

blown head gasket? (1991)

D

drkjr

Yesterday my car started smoking like crazy about 20 min. after driving in about 20 degree weather. Opened the hood, and it was all wet on the driver's side by the firewall, and white smoke was coming out of the exhaust, as well as anti-freeze.

I am 99% sure i blew the head gasket, is it likely that the head got damaged / cracked? I heard from someone that that is very rare in a C4. How expensive / big a job is relpacing a head gasket?

thanks

Ouch, that does suck. On the L98 it doesn't appear to be very hard. It was done on mine right before I bought it by the previous owner and 1 of his friends.

Good luck with that. :)

head gasket

Replacing "A" head gasket is not that big of a job. Just work carefully and pay close attention to cleanliness and to how everything comes apart. Make sure you have knowledge and/or experience with you when you reinstall the heads for things such as head bolt sealing, torque values, lifter adjustment, etc.
Of course as long as you have the one head and intake off, you might as well do the other head gasket.
And then as long as the heads are off, depending on mileage, you might want to take them to a good shop to get checked, valves ground etc.
This also gives you a good opportunity to change thermostat, hoses, and coolant.
Then as long as --- well, somewhere you have to draw the line and start putting everything back together!
Good luck.
Terry

That could explain coolant on the firewall but he had white "smoke" ? (water vapor) coming out of the exhaust.

Agreed. But I'm not convinced he actually meant tail pipe. Perhaps this is the case, I just couldn't tell for sure due to him saying he opened the hood and this is what he saw. And, in 20 degree weather you will see a lot of water vapor anyway. Water dripping from tail pipe doesn't necessarily mean anti-freeze.

Pull the oil dip stick out and check oil color. If it looks like the color of chocolate milk, the water flowed into the crankcase. Be smart, bite the bullet, don't be penny wise, pound foolish....change both head gaskets at the same time.
Another way to check for water contamination, is to crack the oil drain plug. Water is heavier than oil and will be the first liquid to leak out, as soon as you break the seal of the drain plug.
Top the radiator water off before driving to a repair shop.

hmm

I changed the head gaskets on my 86 about 2 months ago. Took me about 4 days. wasn't hard to put back together, but i made a work-along-log. wrote down in the order i took everything off, and i labled all the wires, sensors, and plugs with masking tape. Also put all the screws and bolts back into a bag with the part they came from. lost and loose bolts are a real mess to put with the right part once their off. they all look the same.

good luck to you if you take on this project yourself :)

dan

My first thought was freeze plug, but the anti-freeze coming out of the tailpipe blew that theory. And definately change both gaskets and have the heads checked/cleaned to be on the safe side.

This is a great time to port and polish the heads, runners, and plenum.

The head that blew the gasket needs to be checked for cracks or warping and it is 15 years old, why not have the heads CNCed while you’re at it.

:CAC

I agree. I replaced the head gaskets on my 86 myself. If you are going to do this yourself, make sure you label ALL sensor connectors and keep bolts and nuts in plastic zip lock bags labled.
I would also suggest that you toss your old head bolts and go with a fresh set of head bolts.

This is a good oportunity to really degrease and clean out the engine bay, inspect hoses and connection, inspect your cylinders for scuff marks and freshen up your intake manifold gaskets too.

You should also give her an oil change and flush and refill the cooling system if you have not done so already.

thanks for all the replies...

Coolant DID come out of the tailpipe, and there is a sludgy paste on that plug on the valve cover....(obviously i am not a mechanic and don't know much about the terminology!)

I am trying to sell the car, so want to do this as cheaply as possible, so i am only going to get the one side done. A guy gave me a price of $500 plus parts, I guess this is a pretty good deal?

He's a ford mechanic, but supposedly top-notch...anyone wanna buy a 91 coupe?

A bit off topic but it was MINUS 43F here this morning. Hope my baby is holding up in storage...

RJSROCKET said:
A bit off topic but it was MINUS 43F here this morning.

Minus 43! Dang! A few more degrees and you will reach the flash point of gasoline (-49F).

You know it's cold when your tires are flat on the bottom frozen and you bump-bump all the way to work!

A local dealer wanted $1900 dollars to do both head gaskets on mine, so $500 plus parts is not bad.

just got the car back, the guy did BOTH head gaskets for that price...a total of around $650, with parts...boy did I luck out!!! Now i wish I didn't have to sell it!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom