Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Blueprint Engines?

80VetteL82

Corvette
1980 L82 Black/Red
Anybody on here have any experience with any of Blueprint engines motors? If youve seen my other threads Ive been planning a motor swap, and one that Ive been seriously considering is a 383 from blueprint. They seem to have a great reputation, and have some good looking motors. Also they offer a 30month/30,000mi warranty! The motor Im looking at is the 3830CT1, its a long block 383 w/ iron heads making 405hp/440tq.

Please check it out if you have time and let me know what you think. Also, if you have any experience with this company feel free to share your experiences....it would greatly help.

Also on another note...how well do you think the rest of the drivetrain would handle this kind of power? FYI it will be mated to a 700r4 and a pretty new rebuilt stock rearend w/ 3.70 gears, new half shafts and HD U-joints.

heres a link to the motor: http://www.blueprintengines.com/popular_configurations/index.html?topic=specs&pc_id=67

and to blueprints other motors: http://www.blueprintengines.com/popular_configurations/index.html

I dunno the company but the combo sounds good , the only bugbear might be the aluminium rear casing of the 80, I was frightened of putting a ton o power thru mine as it is supposedly the weak point .. albeit currently have a hot 350 + 2600 stall into 3.55 rear gears and it seems to survive - does 12's on street tyres without blowing anything up.
I see they recommend a stall with that engine ... that might be overkill especially with the 3.7 ratio and the lowered ratio of the th700r4 1st gear
Anyway , it should be a real blast to drive and quite a nice street warrior
Only issues I have had were 2 Tci afermarket stalls grenading , so I got their circle track one and I have torn the left hand side engine mountings when chucking it around too violently

Thanks for your input. What is your 350 making for power? I agree, the rearend is my main concern, as I will build the tranny to with hold that amount of power. The older C3 differentials are a lot stronger right? Is there any way to swap one of those in?

I think there are ppl on this forum who provide a beef up kit for the ally diff or know who does and I have seen you can swap an iron diff in , but its evidently not a bolt in.

I live in south Africa and there are NO junked vettes around to get parts from..

I actually dont know the HP of my motor but I estimate 375 or less...
350 4 bolt main , forged 10:1 pistons , edelbrock performer heads , edelbrock dual plane , holley 770 street avenger , Comp 270H cam , msd dizzy, 6al and a very nice set of cermic coated headers into SS exhausts , no cats , 97 octane pump gas
I run 38-40 degrees total advance...
I have done a lot of mods to mine , racing seats and harnesses , complete new custom gauge and inst cluster..Deleted air con and all associated bits , deleted heaters , fitted a hurst promatic shifter in the consol , pres3ntly going to fit a handling kit ..its about 100kg lighter than stock and is basically all that you can manage on the street..

I have an insane el camino , its actually a holden , called a chev here .. it has a 390kw (round 500hp)and 700nm torque 454 and the vette is a much nicer and much real world faster car than it is

But at any rate the lesson I learned with my vette is be conservative and match it all from front to back and you will get a combo that works.
My plan is also to fit a Th 700R4 at some stage , I have all the bulletproof bits already...probably after that some decent brakes...
Im a little concerned about an overdrive with my 2600 stall cos highway driving will be under that legal limits.
I also drive it a lot , not just weekends , but it's thirst is bad - 2-3km per liter, thats about 5mpg I think..

Thanks for all your advice. Anybody else have any info on our stock differentials? I may call the place I bought my rebuilt 3.70 rearend from and see what they recommend for the setup Im going to want.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom