Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Body lift

Johan

Corvette
1974 red coupe, 1969 yellow vert
I'm ready to lift the body on my '69 (everything is apart, I just need to build a dolly)
The left rocker channel is a bit rusted, so I don't like to lift from there. Any other suggestions how or where I can attach the lifting straps?

How about the floor panels, are they strong enough to jack the body if I use two jacks with something like a 15"x15" wooden plate under each?

DSCN5622.jpg

If you check this link...Picasa Web Albums - Bill - NCRS Tech Ses...
you find a 69 that has 2 straps on the radiator support from the nose to the jig we lifted the body with...
we did this to help support the weight of the nose,as the C-3's are heavy on the nose!
we also picked it thru the door catches
in these photos we are putting the body back on.I was looking for the day we took it off,but couldn't find them
Good Luck!!!!

Bill, thanks for the pictures. Seems like everybody has their own solutions for lifting. :)

From the pictures it looks like it is hanging only from the radiator support and then in the back. I was thinking this too, but was afraind that the entire radiator support would just come loose from the body...?

You can lift the body with jacks under the floorpanels but place them in the corners (or a place with as much corners as possible) its the strongest place.

But when I look at the picture, are you sure the body will go over the chassis (engine and fueltank)? Looks close to me.

Greetings Peter

Peter, thanks.
No, it will not clear as it sits now, but I can raise the scaffold 20 cm and I will remove the wheel dollies. I hope that will be enough. Might have to remove the carb.

Not sure if I will use the scaffold though, I might lift it in the rad. support (from a hook in the ceiling) and then just jack it up in the back, using a long piece of wood across the frame.
/Johan

I had the same problem with my left channel. I was able to slide an angle iron between the frame and channel. I drilled 2 holes in the angle iron and bolted the fiber glass sill plate to the angle iron using the body alignment holes.

This way I put the sling hooks on the angle iron.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom