Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

body mount bushings

L88 crazy

Corvette
1972 Blue T top
I have a 72 Vette with body mount issues. When I go through a road inperfection, it sqeaks. I'm pretty sure it is the stock rubber body mount bushings. I'd like to replce but some people say replacing the bushings with rubber is a bad idea. They said to use polyurethane bushings, claim they last longer. Are they right about that? Which bushings should I use, and are they hard to replace? Is this something I can do in my driveway or garage? What tools do I need?

The first thing you are liable to run into are rusted bolts and nuts. If so, the replacement is "very" difficult. The hardest to do are the ones just in front of the rear wheels. They are reached through a 4" x 6" (approx.) access hole inside the wheelwell, held in place by four small screws.

If the body mount bolts aren't rusted in place, the job is not too bad, if you don't mind getting down and dirty.

Unless you're going auto-crossing, the stock mounts are more than adequate.

If you change them, be sure to record the number of shims at each specific location to ensure that your car sits level when the new ones are in place.

There's always somebody around that wants to shix on rubber bushings and promote poly. Ask the same person what their real experience is with these parts, and how they did their comparison. If they took off old (30+years) rubber bushings and replaced them by poly, sure the news ones felt 'better' . They could have used frozen cookie dough and it would have felt 'better' too. Find somebody who has compared brand new rubber with brand new poly. THAT would be a valid test!

The original rubber bushings lasted 31 years on your car. If you put new rubber bushing, you could expect them to also last 31 years. At that point the car will be 62 years old. Do you really think that you're going to worry about it?

Sorry for the rant, but I mistakenly listened to another Bubba who convinced me to use poly, and I regret it every time I drive my car.:hb

rubber bushings

Hey Vettehead Mikey,, what exactly is it that you don't like about the poly bushings. Is the ride much harsher? Do you have a squeaking problem? I look forward to your answer.
Troy

L88 crazy said:
I have a 72 Vette with body mount issues. When I go through a road inperfection, it sqeaks. I'm pretty sure it is the stock rubber body mount bushings. I'd like to replce but some people say replacing the bushings with rubber is a bad idea. They said to use polyurethane bushings, claim they last longer. Are they right about that?
Hummmm....The rubber body mounts came along with the 73 model. The 72 used steel body mounts.

tom...

Re: rubber bushings

c grn go said:
Hey Vettehead Mikey,, what exactly is it that you don't like about the poly bushings. Is the ride much harsher? Do you have a squeaking problem? I look forward to your answer.
Troy

Poly anything is my #1 thing to hate, right after pertronics units. Although they may their uses on a race track or even in heavy duty autocross, they are IMO a downgrade for the street.

Durability- the stock bushings usually last 30 years. The marketing guys claim that poly will last longer than that. OK, Prove it! How do they know what long term side effects there will be? Even if they're right, most cars will need another general overhaul 30 years from now so what difference would supposed extra life make.

Squeaks- don't get me started. As I've said before, there's two types of poly bushings, 1) squeak already 2) will start squeaking soon. People have come back saying "Yes, but I've had my poly for five years and I've only had to disassemble once to re-lubricate" Great. The rubber bushings NEVER squeak so what's the advantage?

Ride- this is subjective, so if you're changing to poly bushings that will induce a harsher ride, go right ahead. GM put rubber bushings on '73 and up to dampen vibration. Why go backwards?

Handling- 99.99999% of us never go fast enough for any supposed improvement to be noticeable. You do have to put up with the other crap 100% of the time tho.

If you're going that fast on the street, shame on you. Go to the track to beat up on the ricers.Time for a :drink

Vettehead

I can tell you don't like the poly bushings ( gee how did I figure that out). I have a question however as I have thought of changing mine to poly. Did you use the black graphite impregnated ones or did you use the colored ones ?

Is the squeaking worse in the cold ?

resto75 said:

Did you use the black graphite impregnated ones or did you use the colored ones ?

Black graphite impregnated.

"Is the squeaking worse in the cold ? "

Me or the car?;LOL Actually temperature makes no difference as far as I can see. The car never goes out in sub freezing or wet weather. It squeaked as much in 105 F temps in Houston as it does here in 32 F weather.:hb

I had the "poly graphite" ones in my 72 monte carlo. They say the "polly graphite" ones (which is only one brand?) don't squeek.

Mine didn't squeek at all, but the ride was VERY hard! The car drove like a boat on gravel... Handles badly and has a skateboard ride.

I'd tend to agree with vettehead. I'd go with rubber unless you need that 1% gain.

-Gööney0

I already used poly bushings on the front sway bar and links. This really improved the steering slop. The old rubber bushings were shot and completely dried out. The links were cracked big time. I was really impressed with this as I thought the steering box was worn out and needed replacement, but now its good again.

Maybe on the rest of the suspension rubber is the answer. The A frame bushings would be a bummer if you didnt like them after putting them in. If they squeeked that would drive my crazy so rubber is the answer I guess on the hard to replace and high squeek areas.
The sway bar bushings could be a squeek source but I bought the ones with the grease fittings so I dont think that should be a problem. Even if it was its easy to change them.

If I got 30 yrs out of rubber that would be ok. I can just jump under there and replace them, shouldn't be a problem at 83 , but I dunno about the next set at 113 years old. ( Probably forget where the garage is by then)!!!!

I think the thread has been hijacked. Started out about body mounts and quickly switched to suspension bushings. :(

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom