Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Body shop number

Jack Rossetti

Corvette
1964 black roadster
Does anyone know how I can find any infomation on my 64 corvette by the "Body Shop Number". I've been finding the number 363 on the radiator support, doors & firewall. I was told that this number was assigned to the car during assembly before a VIN was attached. I'm trying to find any info on the car like options or who ordered the car. All VIN searches came up empty. Any info is greatly appreaciated.
Thanks, Jack.

The sequence number won't give you any additional clues as to what your car came with. It's a 'that's nice' piece of nostalgia, but that's about it.

Shoudn't there be some document showing who ordered it or the options based on this number so the workers on the assembly line would know how to build it?

Unless the original owner saved the window sticker and passed it along with the car, you are SOL. Body number means next to nothing.

Beginning with the '67 model we can hope to find the 'build sheet' stuck to the top of the fuel tank.

Shoudn't there be some document showing who ordered it or the options based on this number so the workers on the assembly line would know how to build it?

The St. Louis factory did not retain any build records.

Factory records only exist for cars built at the Bowling Green plant starting in mid 1981. Doing a VIN history search through the BMV with hopes of finding previous owners is a about the only way to get the info you seek. As was said above they didn't start sticking a copy of the build sheet to the top of the fuel tank until 1967. You may get very lucky and find a copy of the build sheet or the broadcast sheet stuck up under the seat or behind a door panel or something. Assembly line workers were known to do this occasionally.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom