Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Body talk

78SilvAnniv

This just my opinion based on appearance...does anyone else feel this way?

I am personally partial to the first 3 generations. They are absolutely, distinctivly Corvette.
The C4 is also distinctivly Corvette, but I do not like the overall appearance. Sorry, they look like door wedge stops to me. :(
The C5 I feel has lost its distinctive look, as I have trouble differentiating from the newer imports and Pontiacs.

Another point in favor of the older Vettes...even if they look to be in need of exterior TLC, they still look cool...while some C3s and the C4 & C5 generations tend to look unkempt and haggard.

I'd like to see the C6 generation lead the pack with another distinctive Corvette look. As much as I like the curves of the 3rd generation, I would still prefer for the C6 to have its own look, just like the previous 5 generations had their own.

Silver

78SilvAnniv said:
The C4 is also distinctivly Corvette, but I do not like the overall appearance. Sorry, they look like door wedge stops to me. :(

That's nice, I comment all the time on how nice the Sharks look to me, and for this I get... A door wedge stop? :t

a chance for change

I'm sorry Ken,
In general, that is how the C4s look to me. However, when a nice one comes along...(good paint color and exterior effects)...I drool just like everyone else!
Granted, in this trade-off in looks, it gained MILES in performance! But this was just my opinion based on looks...and I can't help how the basic C4 looks to me....
Don't hold it against me? *where's a 'batting-the-eyelashes' smilie?

Tell you what, I've never taken the time to look very closely at a C4. At BG, your mission, if you choose to accept it...is to convert me! And I will be co-operative!

Sil

A door wedge-stop??????????/

How blasphemous! :D

All kidding aside, let's compare...shapes for a minute.....

Although the C1, C2 and C3 generations are beautiful cars....each generation has a very unique design, but from a performance perspective, they're like bricks in the wind....the C3 generation being a little less so. The Midyears are particularly well-known for significant front-end lift once you start reaching higher speeds. In essence, they become unstable.

Performance, as well as design has always been important to the Corvette brand. In order to achieve competitive performance, design must follow suit. As a result, sports cars that are engineered to achieve a higher performance level are designed to do so. Part of that design process is developing the overall shape to have a lower coefficient of drag. This is most easily achieved by designing the car to easily slice through turbulence caused by high speeds like a hot knife through butter.

Personally, I'll admit, the C4 generation is a little more "boring" in design compared to past and present generations (and I do own a C4), but when you spend some time around that particular generation, and really take a close look at how it's designed...and do a little research as to why it's designed that way, you tend to get a little bit of a more appreciative perspective.

The C5 took a while to grow on me. When it first came out, I was a little dissapointed. Now....I absolutely LOVE it...and yes, I love the big, wide rear-end which a lot of Corvette enthusiasts seem to hate. Why do I like it so much? It's distinctive.....there's nothing else out there that looks like it...and it helps the C5 achieve one of the lowest coefficient of drag ratings present on current production automobiles. Yes, in this day and age, it's a little hard to achieve the high speeds that the C5 is capable of, but it can be done and it's nice to know that if and when the owner decided to explore the upper performance level of his/her C5, they can do it with ease. If I had to pick a dissapointing design aspect of the C5, I'd have to say it's the front-end and front quarters. Take a look at a 1995 Mazda RX7 and park it nose to nose with a C5. The two look WAY too similar. Let's hope the C6 design team shapes the next generation Corvette to be much more unique and easily recognizable as a Corvette.

I agree with Silver...

Silver, I'm with you all the way (it's almost like you can read my mind:eek ).

Before I purchased my '71, I drove my friend's new '95 and her (twin) sister's beat-up '74. There is a world of difference between the two and, even though the C4 was very nice and had all the bells & whistles, I didn't feel at home in it. When I got into the C3, that was it.

As far as looks go, I agree with everything Silver says (sorry, C4 owners, but most of them just don't excite me). As far as that goes, I respect the C1s, but they don't do anything for me either.

Just think what the C1 & C2 owners thought when they saw their first C3...:s

Barb:w

I agree with Silver

Body style and performance is what makes a sportscar a sportscar we all agree on that. the C1'S and C2'S are IMHO the most distinctive of the corvette styling and set it apart from anything detroit threw out there to compete againt it. I think the C3'S were a combo of different styles from other marques and with a more european flavor, but slill has the most beautiful lines and contours that make it the most appealing of all the generations, C4'S are basically plain looking and do not get as noticed as the latter generations. And the C5'S, well what can I say, All european styling, the only american thing in it is the guy behind the steering wheel. and with all the gadgetry and electronics in them you would have to be an electronics engineer to fix them. No more Shade -Tree mechanics. and you might as well put a back seat in it because its more like a luxury car then a sports car. Don't get me wrong I will take any corvette anyday because ALL CORVETTES ARE BEAUTIFUL. O.K. I better stop here except to say that look what F*rd did the the thunderbird. Lets get back to basics.
:D
spell checker not working not responsible for misspellin. :D :D

Hey Barb, did I mention I'm psychot...I mean psychic?

It was interesting reading Rob's post, that is the first time I was given a reason for the body style...for performance reasons.

Goes hand-in-hand, that with the great strides they were making with the performance capabilities on the C4, that its body would need to be designed to handle the performance improvements. Interesting also, to note the C3 took its style from several different sources...

However, I stilll think I need someone to educate me about the C4s and give me a better understanding, perspective and appreciation for them.

BTW, thank you C4 owners for suffering my opinion without flames. I know C3 had several body style changes during its generation, did C4 have several changes in body style, too? If so, what were they? The later C4s appeal to me more than the earlier ones.

I guess I just like lots of curves.

Sil

Which one?

Silver:

I like them all. Each generation has it's own special attraction. I currently drive an 86 coupe (C4) and receive many favorable comments. Another reason I like it is for the ride, it is very comfortable. My wife and I have ridden in some earlier vettes and felt the ride was too harsh. I have the Z51 package with Blistein shocks, it goes where I point it, yet rides very well. The wedge shape contributes to aerodynamics and is similar to many current production cars. I agree, that the C3 has a special looks appeal that no other car can match. I like them all.

I like all of them too. I loved the style of my1976 and 1979 coupe and I love the performance and VERY comfortable ride of my C-5. Really looking forward to the design of the C6....hope it is more distinguishable as a vette from the front...instead of a firebird or camero.

Patti

I know it's going to bring a smile to the faces of a lot of you Shark owners; check out the cover for the new "Accessories" catalog from Corvette Central. Gee, I wonder what year that is, they all look alike to me?!!? :L

Ken

What some see as a "door wedge stop", others see as a clean, uncluttered, functional, and classic design. ;) As far as the C5's styling goes, I prefer it very much over the decidedly curvacious lines of say... Viper. I applaud the Corvette design team for all aspects of the C5- it's a work of art.

For me, Corvette design has climaxed many times through the years. We all have our favorites. Mine are as follows: '57,'62,'63,'67,'69,'93,'95,'96,'97-'01.:upthumbs

C4's and C5's have had improvements made (performance and otherwise) to them every year, whereas the C3 generation was hampered by new emissions requirements which killed performance. I would not want to be in a '76 with " Miata Boy" sitting next to me on the starting line of the "Stoplight Grand Prix!":w

Miata Boy! hahaha

You definitely pointed out the C3's biggest drawback!
Choked by emissions and the horses lamed!

Silver

"DOOR WEDGE STOP"

:bash OH please....leave the guy alone! :grinshot

He's only being HONEST!! Iy does sorta look like that ...In our family we prefer the term "cheese wedge" thankyou! At least the design is still "American Looking" unlike the C5...
The C4 cheese wedge shape is even more obvious with the 90's redesign........since the front lights evolved into one unit...and they ruined the back with those squarish taillights.....UGGGGG!! I nearly had a stroke when they did that! :puke as well as that cheap A$$ 3rd taillight in the bumper...looked like a K-car quality addition! :nono And dont forget the 86 brake light..even though that was a quality unit it RUINED the car's lines! :crazy (at least they restored the roofline to its proper/original design in 90's redeaux)

as we all know......GM is in the game to use as little $ as possible over the longest period of time possible while subtly changing the body to make everyone thing a car is "new and exciting".......dont be surprised if the next C5 change is the same elimination of front recesses and they will change the rear with new lenses fitting the same holes...probably with a bubble look (despite all the speculation of a whole new rear end)

More on the C5...the ultimate cheese wedge!! Quite frinkly I hate the entire exterior :puke EXCEPT for the rear (despite the squarish tail lights)..............Larry Sinoda (Rest his soul) designed a GORGEOUS retro body style for the C5 that looked like a midyear...man THAT guy was Talented........the C5 looks too "foreign"...quite frankly the Ram air Firebird looks better :grinshot OK shoot me now! Just being honest......

Seriously the exterior design of the C5 has KEPT me from even considering it as an option........But do a retro look like Shinoda's and you'll have to beat me away with a stick!!!!!:bash

PS I will look for that concept of Shinoda's but I dont remember which magazine it was in let alone which month or year! It was his "last great work" before passing..what a tribute that would be to a car guy like him if they used his design! :cry

PPS Can U tell I love the "smilies"......no other board has as many!

My guess.. being somewhat familar with the 80 ~ 81 ~ 82

1987 Z51 said:
I know it's going to bring a smile to the faces of a lot of you Shark owners; check out the cover for the new "Accessories" catalog from Corvette Central. Gee, I wonder what year that is, they all look alike to me?!!? :L
Ken

Ken,
It looks like it has an L81 hood emblem, black surround, but look at the fender.. there is an L82 emblem... makes Yoda think hmmmmmmmm 1980..

I've owned serveral Corvettes.. 54 ~ 92.. I drove a C5 and Z06 If I could convice ma, I'd have a Z06.. I just wish I could have back all the Corvettes I've owned in the past 20+ years.. Just glad I had the opertunity to enjoy them while I had them..

If I was going racing I would want a ZR-1 if I was going to show I would want a 58.. if I was only going to have one more for the rest of my life I would have an L81... hey I got ONE :J

BudD
:w

Bud, stay tuned; I was at the paint shop yesterday for my stripes and took the time to explore the backyard a little more thoroughly.

There's a corner of the lot that is just full of deceased Corvettes that are being used as parts cars, but there are a few Sharks that are not really that far gone. With a little elbow grease (and a steady infusion of cash!), they can be drivable once more.

I be going back to finish the stripes and lettering in a couple of weeks; I'll take more pictures then.

Ken

Re: "DOOR WEDGE STOP"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Corvette1984
More on the C5...the ultimate cheese wedge!! Quite frinkly I hate the entire exterior :puke EXCEPT for the rear (despite the squarish tail lights)..............Larry Sinoda (Rest his soul) designed a GORGEOUS retro body style for the C5 that looked like a midyear...man THAT guy was Talented........the C5 looks too "foreign"...quite frankly the Ram air Firebird looks better :grinshot OK shoot me now! Just being honest......
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:r :bash Honesty has some drawbacks. :)

Patti

Wow, guess I'm not the only one not impressed with the C4's shape. But I do love my GS :love (guess it's the paint job and being a convertible, my first). Until I saw the GS I wasn't at all crazy about Corvettes, except for the look of the early C3s.

I like the C5s. Yes, they have looks similar to other autos but they still look good and get the looks of those I fly by in my green '98. ;) And I like my luxuries, thank you very much.

Originally posted by Gaming Glen

I like the C5s. Yes, they have looks similar to other autos but they still look good and get the looks of those I fly by in my green '98. And I like my luxuries, thank you very much.

I agree, Glen. :)

Patti

78SilvAnniv said:
This just my opinion based on appearance...does anyone else feel this way?

I am personally partial to the first 3 generations. They are absolutely, distinctivly Corvette.
The C5 I feel has lost its distinctive look, as I have trouble differentiating from the newer imports and Pontiacs.

Another point in favor of the older Vettes...even if they look to be in need of exterior TLC, they still look cool...while some C3s and the C4 & C5 generations tend to look unkempt and haggard.

I'd like to see the C6 generation lead the pack with another distinctive Corvette look. As much as I like the curves of the 3rd generation, I would still prefer for the C6 to have its own look, just like the previous 5 generations had their own.

Silver

I'm ultra contemporary and rather futuristic when it comes to design. I'd be disappointed with anything retro, much like I'm disappointed with the repulsive Z06 hard top.

I still think that exotics like the lamborghini, Mclaren F-1 are the hottest looking cars on the planet so if the C6 moves towards that direction, I'll be content. Whatever the case, I'll only be satisfied with a supoercar option that boasts of a true sub 4 sec 0-60 with even greater than 1.03 lat g performanc along with the open air. After seeing the viper, I Wouldn't have it any other way

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom