Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

40th Anniversary Boise Radio Issue

1993 40th Anniversary Corvette Topic

Frankie Cadillac

Corvette
1993 Ruby Red Anniversary
Bose Radio Issue

Hi all, my 4oth anniversary has a few issues, mostly small but this one is related to my bose radio. When I turn it on a get a very very loud pitch squeel from one of my rear speakers, so loud I have to turn the radio off. Could this be a bad speaker? If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks, Frankie.

It is Bose, not Boise.. LOL

It is most likely the amp gone bad, but the speakers rarely fail.

Thanks. Are you refering to the radio itself or is there a separate amp, if so where is it? My next step is to disconnect the speaker and try it then. thanks again, Frankie.

Each speaker enclosure has its own amp. Mid-America and others sell replacement amps. Just do a search for "Bose" and "amp" on the Mid-America site. They appear to be back in stock.

In the meantime, you can disconnect the offending speaker to kill the loud noise.

It is cheaper to send your amp to Dr Don's audio, they are in Texas and have a fast turn around.

Absolutely send it to Doctor Don's !!! I sent mine, $75/lifetime warranty with higher-temperature-tolerant parts. Very fast turn-around, I had mine back from Texas (to Vermont) in only 4 days!

Even if one amp is bad, send them both (rear or front). Chances are if one is fried, the other one has been put through the same treatment, and high temperature is an amp killer.

Don't run the radio open-ended (without a speaker attached.)

Hi all, my 4oth anniversary has a few issues, mostly small but this one is related to my bose radio. When I turn it on a get a very very loud pitch squeel from one of my rear speakers, so loud I have to turn the radio off. Could this be a bad speaker? If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks, Frankie.

I had a similar problem with my Bose system. I had the head unit fixed, the amp unit fixed and the speakers tested good but I could never get the thing to work. I finally just replaced the entire thing with a Jensen touch screen unit.

In all fairness I did use a Chevy dealer and I don't know where he sent the units.

Had the same squealing problem with my wife's '93 and it was the amplifier. Never could get the darn upholstry to stay in place after that. Also sent the "gold" head unit back to Bose and still have some problems. If I am not wrong the CD player should auto eject when the ignition switch is turned to off and it will not.

If I am not wrong the CD player should auto eject when the ignition switch is turned to off and it will not.

I have owned a '92, '94 and '96 (all new). They all had the Delco Bose Gold Series Radio w/ Cassette and CD. All of mine did NOT eject the CD when the ignition was turned off.

I believe yours is working correctly.

Hope this helps!

:w

My wife now stands down (pretty rare) says it might have been a different car. That brings up a different radio topic. I have read some posts that referred to human voice warning system. I can see that being tied to the radio but this '93 does not have that or someone disabled it I don't know. It is just that the warning chimes I remember did not sound as if it went through the radio as stated somewhere above when the guy discovered he had left a CD in the unit and it stopped the warnings. I have already checked and there is no CD stuck or otherwise. I played one of my CDs perfectly. I have read in my FSM that there is a tone generator on top or near the steering column and I assumed it had it's own speaker. Can anyone share any info you might have experienced?

Quick note. Sorry. It was a different thread and it was about warning chimes won't work.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom