Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bonneville World of Speed 2006 - I'm in the record books

JrRifleCoach

Corvette
Z16
The challenge of making the http://saltflats.com/130-150 members.html130 MPH Club at the Bonneville Slat Flats is a tad bit more exciting than I imagined. First the goose bumps of sharing the same salt with the likes of Craig Breedlove, Art Arfons, Mickey Thompson....... WOW!

Then hitting the salt for the first time. Everything is white. The sun reflects its burning energy to the bottom of your nose, under the chin and if your wearing shorts...... lets just say you use more sun block than usual.

Rose was feeling fine, and a full tank of premium was all she needed to start the day. With 130K miles on her 20 year old engine she'll do well. We viewed the course and counted the markers to ensure one would not get lost. First marker at 1/4 mile, second at the half and the third at the end of the mile. Last marker noted the turn off back towards the staging area.

Standing start mile was an easy launch with the smooth application of power. 2nd gear comes fast and the tires start their slow slide to the right, A little correction and roll into the throttle even harder waiting for 3rd to kick in. Now the 1/4 marker is coming up and the engine is howling into its torque curve making the rear feel a tad light. Just keep your foot planted Dood! The track is wide and we're only just starting to build speed. Not a good time to lift. The 1/4 marker is past us now and the speedo is over 100. The half mile marker is coming up fast as the speed keeps rising. Now we're past the half and waiting for 4th to kickin.

Whats this???? Wheres 4th? Cmon! were at 122 and the engine is screaming! OK, lift slightly and 4th will kickin. No 4th. Speed is slow to increase to 125. Lift again. NO $#%$^ 4TH!! Speedo reads 126 as the trap whizzes by. Timing ticket reads the good/bad news 129.98MPH! DAMN! missed it by .02 MPH and never got out of 3rd! I win the "CLOSEST" award....

Second run I manage to get her to find 4th and she leaps forward to a best of 133.9MPH.

Third run was again a loss of 4 gear with a 129.6MPH.

The fourth run was worst with 128.something.

OK I got one run left and the weather is looking grim for a second shot at this tomorrow. I have to find 4th gear!!!!

Plan is to start lifting for 4th at the half mile marker. We leave the line a bit harder than before which is useless since there is no traction in 1st. Work the throttle firmly......but easy. OK we're coming up to the half, lift lightly.... YEAH! 4th! OK roll into the throttle. Damn she drops back into 3rd. Hold into 3rd a bit longer look for a few more MPH. Lift. 4th comes to those who wait. 4th! Now roll on the power. Damn 3rd again! More power and more MPH. Shes only at 122 and the traps are coming up. Lift.....4th! POWER NOW!!!!! One last look at the speedo and we see 126 indicated as we enter the traps and 128 as the finish flag passes! My heart is pounding as the timing trailer gal comes out to proclaim my success of a 130.5 MPH! to cinch our two required 130MPH passes for the 130 MPH Club victory!!!

Theres no fan fare. No trophy. No t-shirt. Just your name on the permanent record books and the satisfaction of acheiving a goal.

547918_133.jpg

547918_140.jpg

547918_135.jpg

547918_136.jpg

547918_134.jpg

547918_139.jpg

547918_137.jpg

Many thanks to Carl and his brother Steve for their words of "salt wisdom".
And to Jeff and Ken for the great comaradery found here on the forum.

547918_130.jpg

As luck would have it the rains started as we left the track Thursday evening. Funny thing about the salt. Its flat as a board and solid, so the water will not perc or run off. It just pools into one big lake! So our return for any further attempts will have to wait for next year. C'ya there!

547918_141_full.jpg

547918_142_full.jpg

How about the admiration of your friends? Does that count?? Congratulations!! :)

-Mac

Oh Yeah! That counts.

I hope that some will also travel next year and share the thrills!

:beer:

Congratulations! I've done some drag racing but never been to Bonneville. I would love to try it just for the experience and history there, like Indanapolis and Daytona it is one of those American legends.

What a great experience! Would hope to do that some day. Did you get all the salt off the car? Did you change filters after a run like that? It looks like snow....nice pics!

Great Story

Very well written. Sounds like a ton of fun! Did you accomplish this with a stock C4 with 130000 miles?

Wow! :BOW :upthumbs

Thanks for sharing this with us. Impressive..

:w
-Stefan

CONGRATULATIONS !! :Twist You guys had way too much fun. Next year I’m going with you. I’m not sure if I could take the tension of 5 passes and running out of time. I’ll bet there are more stories out there somewhere. Congratulations again :bu:beer

The salt is a sureal place. When you get out onto that 64 square miles of nothing you loose all perspective of speed. I went this year for the motorcycle speed runs. I was runing out to the paddock at about 60 mph and Liz looks over at me and says it feels like we are just sitting still. Then in the afternoon the wind kicks up and you experience white out. Talked with some people who had been coming out to Bonneville for years one since 1956 and they all said that this year was the best salt conditions ever. The motorcycles had an 11 mile course set up and the streamliners were breaking records. The new record is now 350. I definatly got bitten buy the salt bug and plan on going back next year and run a bike. Don't know if I will get into the 200 mph club but it is a goal.

Congrats on your runs. Any idea why the trans didn't like 4th? My 84 had a 4th gear WOT lock out but I got rid of that with a new 3-4 sleeve. Pretty sure 85 and up are not supposed to have that lock out.

:beer

What an experience!

What a great write-up, too!

I think I would have trouble with the "white-outs".

SAVE THE :w

The 130 does not. Roll bar and firesuits are required for the 150 and above.

Two questions.

What is the the distance to the speed trap?
Is your car stock?

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like a fantastic time.
If the "planets align" for me next year, I would love to join you guys!

Great story...and congratulations! It sounds like a lot of fun on top of being a thrill. Nice to hear that the higher mileage older vettes still have it.

p

...if you don't have a roll bar (even in a coupe?), and you break 150? I know mine will go up at least that high.
Rules state that the one mile course has a Do Not Exceed 140MPH. Do this and your busted. On the two mile (150) course the barrier is 160.

These guys don't play around with the safety rules...

Very well written. Sounds like a ton of fun! Did you accomplish this with a stock C4 with 130000 miles?

Yep....well I have acustom tune by Alvin at pcmsforless

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom