Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Boost increase on 87?

S

SurfnSun

Most of us know about the infamous wastegate screw on the 88+ models. Does the IHI turbo have the same type of wastegate where boost can be tuned?

Does the '87 have IHI turbos? I don't know that answer but I do know that my '87 boost is adjustable by turning the nut on the wastegate control rod. I did it when one wastegate went out and I had way to much boost. I lowered the overall boost but was basically running on one turbo. Had the wastegate replaced and turbos synched and all is well. IIRC there are two nuts--one for the adjustment and one to lock it in place. I think I backed the nut out to make less boost.

Yup thats the answer to my question...The 87's have IHI turbos and the 88+ have the Rotomasters.

Someone asked me at a show the other day if I had T3 or T4 turbos. I didn't know. Are mine T3 or is that a Rotomaster designation?

BTW...when I contacted Callaway about the overboost problem Reeves told me to adjust the length of the control rod to reduce it but until then I should control overboost via throttle. I guess that meant keep my foot out of it...:L :L

The T04b is the Rotomaster turbo on the 88+. All I know the 87 model by is the IHI name. A few of the others might have more info on this.

SurfnSun said:
The T04b is the Rotomaster turbo on the 88+. All I know the 87 model by is the IHI name. A few of the others might have more info on this.

All I know is that the IHI is smaller and has less all out performance potential than the Rotomaster. I assume that's why they made the switch in '88.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom