Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Borla or B&B?? Expert advice please

usnret

Corvette
05 coupe
Which One??? ...First, Thanks in advance for any info.
this is really exhausting (pardon the pun, ha). I'm gonna get an exhaust upgrade, just not sure which, Borla or B&B. Hp gains or the lack there of aren't an issue. What I'm lookin for is; at idle just a hint of the beast that's under my hood. Cruising btwn 60 and 80mph on hwy 94, I don't want the sound so loud that I'll have to wear ear plugs. But when I romp on it, You'll know the beast has awakened. I'm leaning toward the Borla Touring with X pipe with oval tips. supposedly thats not too aggressive sounding, but nice. Just a little compliment for my otherwise stock C6 because it deserves to breath better. Oh and I forgot to mention, she's gettin a Halltech intake to. :D
Any thoughts as to the sound mellowness of these two??? Again, thanks for any info. :beer

B&B are Very Aggressive

USNRET, I have a set of the B&B Bullets, and they are very aggressive sounding. I have an 05 Convertible, and at speed they aren't too loud, but you know they are there. They resonate quite a bit at 50 MPH (sinus draining resonance), but otherwise are not bothersome. They will definitely get someone's attention when you accelerate. I haven't heard the Borla's in person, but my guess is they are more like what you are looking for.

MSMITH2005, Thanks a lot for the info. Hopefully someone else will come along with some Borlas for suggestions.

PS: I'm in southeastern Wisconsin just in case there are any CAC members in the area who wouldnt mind if I take a listen. I definetely don't mind a drive to a nearby location. (weather permiting of course) ...Anyone?? I'll be in the DSOM C6.

usnret said:
this is really exhausting (pardon the pun, ha). I'm gonna get an exhaust upgrade, just not sure which, Borla or B&B. Hp gains or the lack there of aren't an issue. What I'm lookin for is; at idle just a hint of the beast that's under my hood. Cruising btwn 60 and 80mph on hwy 94, I don't want the sound so loud that I'll have to wear ear plugs. But when I romp on it, You'll know the beast has awakened. I'm leaning toward the Borla Touring with X pipe with oval tips. supposedly thats not too aggressive sounding, but nice. Just a little compliment for my otherwise stock C6 because it deserves to breath better. Oh and I forgot to mention, she's gettin a Halltech intake to. :D
Any thoughts as to the sound mellowness of these two??? Again, thanks for any info. :beer

REPLY: I had BandB Route 66 catbacks put on ; im having them taken off this friday . Severe and annoying drone/hum at 1500-1800 rpms. I dont know how a Mfr. can make such a horrible product as this and expect Corvette owners to put up with it. My advice : Strike an understanding with your installer that if you get a drone/hum that you cant live with after your exhaust is put on, that, he will switch you back at a minimal labor charge ONLY.

usnret said:

I have used B@B on my last three Vettes and have been very satisfied. On one car, I had an internal weld break and even though the muffler was 16 months old, they replaced it no charge with no questions asked!

If you don't already know, you can go to Mid America Motorwork's website and hear just about every exhaust they sell. I have a C5 so I've only looked at the pages for it. I'm quite sure they do the same for C6's. If not, check out the C5 exhaust systems....they shouldn't sound much different. I'll leave a link below.

BTW. I have B&B Bullets and they are amazing. For what you're looking for, I would say go with something more subtle...like the Borla's (non-Stingers) or B&B PRT's.

Good luck!
Kenny

http://www.madvet.com/shop?category=7.119

Also try going to the manufacturer's websites. I believe they all have sound files. I know for sure that B&B (www.bbtriflo.com) does. If I recall correctly, Borla has sound files, too.

VAmagred01,
I agree with you that the B&B Bullets are amazing. I've had mine since Dec (a christmas present from my wife), and never get tired of them. I am considering adding the X-pipe to the system. Do you have any experience with them? If so, do they eliminate the resonance as advertised? Is there any noticeable performance increase?

MSMITH2005

I bought the Bullets as a birthday present to myself a few weeks ago. I installed them a little over a week ago but haven't had a chance to enjoy the pleasurable sound. I drove it home from my buddy's shop and put it in the garage (been there ever since)...but from that drive home, I was smiling from ear to ear!:D

The shop owner stated that you should be careful when adding an x-pipe. He says he's seen a lot of engine code pop-ups because of them. I thought about installing one but don't want to have any trouble. One member here installed one and said it eliminated a lot of the back pops and burbling. That's what I like the most!! I don't have any personal experience but I'm sure if you pay the $$$ for a nice system, it'll probably be tuned well enough to ensure you will not have any problems. I'm sure the performance is great, too.

I've only put 17K mi. on my car since I bought it new but the warranty is gone, of course. I don't want to run the risk of droppin' $75 everytime a check engine light comes on because of an x-pipe (if it indeed causes problems).

Let me how you like it if you buy one.

All the best,
Kenny

Kenny,
Thanks for the info. I like the pops and burbling too. I don't think I'll go with the X-pipe. I can live the the resonance. To be honest there is so much power in the vette without adding headers and the x-pipe, that it would probably be more of a psychological boost in performance since I rarely get to open it up to it's maximum performance.

Thanx

Thank you everyone for the great feedback. Looks like I'll be going with Borla. Giving a 2nd thought now about the Xpipe (don't like check engine lights). I've heard the sound files from the different web sites and even though I've a kick a$$ sound system on my PC, I don't think it's the same as hearing them in person. Oh well.
Cheers to all and be safe. :beer :w

Better late than never?

usnret said:
Thank you everyone for the great feedback. Looks like I'll be going with Borla. Giving a 2nd thought now about the Xpipe (don't like check engine lights). I've heard the sound files from the different web sites and even though I've a kick a$$ sound system on my PC, I don't think it's the same as hearing them in person. Oh well.
Cheers to all and be safe. :beer :w
Hey Navy! I was an Aviation Fire Control Tech for F4Js, until I busted up my knee. And hello from Oregon WI! I think you're making a good choice. I just traded my 02 C5 coupe which had a Borla system on it. Sounded mean at idle and growled proud at WOT. No problems with it for 3 yr/36000mi. My buddy at work just picked up an 03 Aniv Ed Vert and he put on the B&B bullet. It is VERY loud at idle and WOT. Sounds awesome but I'm not sure I'd like it all the time. For my 05 C6 coupe I'm thinking of going with the Corsa Sport or Borla Aggressive (Borla part number 140128). I've had Borla on several peformance vehicles and I've liked every one. But I might try a Corsa just for fun.

Maybe we'll cross paths on our "great" Wis roads someday :w .

p.s. Are you running a front plate? I'm not this time.

Sorry I'm late but I'll post for anyone else who may be shopping.

My C5 had the B&B stainless exhaust on it when I purchased it. I love it too! The only problem is I don't know exactly which system I have but it is defintely not the loudest. It has a mild rumble at idle and barks on acceleration. There is little to no resonance - I can carry on a conversation or listen to CDs on the interstate at 70 and 80 mph with no problems or issues.

Good luck!
:w Jane Ann

XLR8 said:
Sorry I'm late but I'll post for anyone else who may be shopping.

My C5 had the B&B stainless exhaust on it when I purchased it. I love it too! The only problem is I don't know exactly which system I have but it is defintely not the loudest. It has a mild rumble at idle and barks on acceleration. There is little to no resonance - I can carry on a conversation or listen to CDs on the interstate at 70 and 80 mph with no problems or issues.

Good luck!
:w Jane Ann

XLR8, that "sounds" as if it is the Route 66 version, the same one that I have on my C5. Its terrific!!!

Greenie said:
XLR8, that "sounds" as if it is the Route 66 version, the same one that I have on my C5. Its terrific!!!

You may be right. When I looked at the systems on the website, the Route 66 system most closely resembles what I see on my Corvette. I have the 4 oval tips too.

All I know is I love it!

024_21A_Edited.jpg

XLR8 said:
You may be right. When I looked at the systems on the website, the Route 66 system most closely resembles what I see on my Corvette. I have the 4 oval tips too.

All I know is I love it!

attachment.php

Yep, thats my system! Ill be ordering a C6 come the 07 MY and Im thinking about their PRT system. it might be a bit more aggressive without being too obnoxious.

usnret said:

I am also looking into replacing exhaust on 06 Vert with auto transmission. Looking into "new" Corsa for the automatic. At $1,700+ seems a bit expensive but no problems with install due to the longer transmission. Any help anyone can give would be appreciated.

Looks more and more like the new GHLs for the A6 are a bargain.:lou

I am getting ready to buy the B+B quad tip PRT system.....should be awesome!:D

Just replaced mine with BB route 66's. Sounds great. Best addition I could make.

I also was undecided,did not want too loud...what made my mind up was that I found the Borla at <gripmotorsports.com>for only $953.00 including shipping!! part #11747

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom