Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Borla or Corsa?

C

chipster

I have a 2000 roadster w/automatic and want to upgrade the exhaust. I like the look of the four round chrome pipes and have looked at Corsa and Borla. Which is best? I don't want it super loud.

I've had both & like my Corsa Pace Car System with the Pro 3.5 tips .. It boils down to whether you can stand "resonance" or not - Resonance is the "droning" sound that can be heard inside the C5 as you are cruising .. I personally do not like it
& it bothers almost everyone to some extent ... more bother for some people & less for others ... go to a Corvette Club meeting & RIDE with several people -

Good luck ...

So Don, are you saying that in your opinion the Borla system has more resonance? It is such a difficult decison; Corsa, Borla, GHL, etc.... so many choices, so much advice!!!!

Sorry that I wasn't clear ... yes the Borla's have more "resonance", so do the GHL's, in fact most (if not all) of the after market systems have differing amounts of resonance.

To my knowledge, Corsa is the only aftermarket cat back system, that advertises "no resonance" - Corsa is also the only after market system that is GM certified - see http://www.corsaperf.com/ - under POWER-PULSE RSC™ -

I do not want to sound like an ad for Corsa, I just really do not like the "drooning" resonance of many exhaust systems ..

All this said, you should go and listen & ride in vettes with the different systems, maybe "resonance" will not bother you & your family .. you are the only one you have to please ... it is a tough decision, but you take all of the "risk" out of buying, if you like the Corsa sound ...

Hope this helps ...

:)

Thanks for the detailed answer. It is always a smart idea to ask questions and gather as much info as possible. Again, thanks!:Steer

Corsas with x pipe are a good combo imho.

I had the corsa indy's without the x pipe and after about a year I had wished I had the x pipe installed at the same time as the initial aftermarket exhaust installed on my 99 C5 automatic.

No resonance with the corsa indy's or the tourings (quieter than indy's)

I have the Corsa on my Y2K, and at wide open throttle is music to my ears !!!:bang

For what it is worth, I have Corsa Touring and the X-pipe on order. When the parts are installed, I will post my experience (I too do not like the resonance).

I have Corsa Power Pulse on the '95. They have a very pleasing tone at idle and really open up at WOT. No noticable resonance.

Although there are other owners out there who like a more aggressive sound.

Best advice from Don & Kelly...attend some shows, take some rides, etc.

BTW the audio files on the CorsaPerformance web site are pretty close to actual.

tred

Apparently BORLA needs a supporter here!!! I have the Stingers on my 2002 and they are magnificent. Nice solid sound. I had Corsa pulse yada yada on my C4 and they were raspy and harsh especially at full throttle. My car is a good advertisement for Borla. People ask is they can hear them and then say they are gonna get some! Ultimately it is up the personal taste of the individual Vette owner. They all make noise... and noise is good.

As mentioned above, it really is a personal choice. I have the Borla XR1 and love it. I recently tried the Corsa on my car and have switched back to my XR1. I did not like the sound at all for my car. Of note, I run a 422/SC with large headers, larger exhaust pipes and gutless cats. My car is very loud (that’s what I prefer). Here is my take:

Borla XR1: louder, deeper sound, not big block but as close as I think you'll get with the firing order of an LS1. Definite resonance, especially 2000-2500rpm. You can get around this in a 6-speed, but it would be hard in an automatic. Did I say loud yet? Less restrictive outflow. Perhaps a few more hp increase than Corsa, but I would never suggest you by a system as a planned hp gain but rather for the acoustical and aesthetic pleasures. Good quality.

Corsa: raspier, more exotic sound, a bit Ferrari-ish. Less resonance (in my car still had some). Some hp increase, not as much as the XR1 but in my opinion that should not be an issue. Good quality.

I totally agree with the suggestion to listen and ride in some cars with these if possible. Much depends on your goals and what you want from your exhaust. My tastes/choices may be far different than yours. My XR1 is right for me, because I wanted it very loud and very aggressive and accepted that at the price of some resonance. From your initial post, I think you may be happier with the Corsa.

I agree with Don the corsas are for me. Loud when you get on it and quiet on cruise. I also installed the bassini X pipe.

98 Torch Red coupe, corsa indies pro tips.Donaldson,3.15rears
reprogramed computer,

Toad

Its a matter of taste and tolerance for pain. Both systems are much louder then stock, a x-over pipe will eliminate some resonance at cruise. Aftermarket systems will not give you a dramatic increase in RWHP, in fact some systems will actually loose a few hp compared to the stock exhaust. At installed prices topping $1,000, a cat back replacement system is not a cost effective route to increased performance.
Our advise is to stay with the stock system and install chrome extensions for the looks. If you are planning to do other hi-po mods in the future a cat back system may be warranted.

If you want a free copy of our late model Corvette performance manual check out our website at: http://www.corvetteweb.com

Tony C. and the Vette Nuts at Ptech

Borla STINGERS are SWEET!

I own a 2000 coupe. The fist thing I did after I bought the Vette was install some stainless tips. That took care of the looks department. Except... it wasn't too long after, that the flat black paint started to peel off the muffler canisters. No biggie, I just painted them with flat black heat paint and the problem was gone. (Until next season anyway!) When I finally got some cash together for upgrades after deciding that I really don't like the look of the big flat black canisters (Flowmaster might be what you want if you like this look) and the sound. (It just wasn't right ,not a muscle car but more like a bus.) I came here to find out what the people had to say about their modified exhaust systems. Well that helped a little but just as all these posts are telling you Bro, it's what makes your ears happy. Now with that in mind, may I suggest going to some sights to hear on your PC what the exhaust you are thinking about sounds like.

This may be the only sight that you need to make up your mind, (I know it was for me!) To me the look and the sound (I like aggressive, NOT annoying) of the Stingers can't be beat.
Stingers and Corsa Indys you can listen to and see on your PC:

http://www.thx2.net/exhaust.htm

I went with the 4 tip stingers and this is where I found a link
(the e-mail address to SF Motorsports) to a sweet deal.
You can E-mail the Dude at:
SFMotorsportsInc@aol.com
Or you can phone:
336-996-4080
This distributor for Borla exhaust and Koni shocks sold me my 4 TIP STINGERS for $660.00...Delivered! It might take a day or two for him to get back to you, but he WILL return your e-mail or phone call. I also ordered a complete Borla Cat Back for my 95 Caprice
(It has an LT1 motor!) from him and it should be in some time next week. (I can't wait!)

Good Luck on making your decision. I know whatever you go with, you'll like your Vette even more.

I'm also thinking about doing some upgrades this summer to my 98 C5. Right now, its stock. My combo idea was Borla Stingers (the two tip version) and Random Tech cats. I LOVE resonance.....I'm one of those guys that turns off my radio just to listen to my exhaust :) And I want the loudest, most powerful deep sounding exahust possible. I will eventually do long tube headers also. I just need some advice and opinions about my idea...if my setup will yield what i want from my car. I put a Random Tech cat and a Flowmaster on my 86 Trans Am(daily driver) and a Mustang owner came up to me once and asked me if I had headers - and that was after I added the Random Tech cat...so I know they help make the car louder.

On a side note - where would be the best place to purchase 98 C5 chrome wheels for exchange? Ecklers has them, Mid America, Corvette Mike, West Coast Corvettes.....anyone know offhand who has the best quality and guarentee? Its hard to decide figure out. Thanks.

ANYONE?? Any advice?

Borla OR Corsa

I installed GHLs and I am very satisfied. Excellent quality, no internal hum, radical sound with WOT

chipster said:
I have a 2000 roadster w/automatic and want to upgrade the exhaust. I like the look of the four round chrome pipes and have looked at Corsa and Borla. Which is best?

I don't want it super loud.

If loudness is a sensitivity, don't buy the Borlas, get the Corsa Tourings -- they have the look you're after without being much louder than stock. Next on the scale are the Corsa Indys, and they will be louder, but not obnoxiously so.

Definitely also consider an X-pipe, which will smoothen the motor boat sound, particularly since you have an automatic. The automatics sound terrible without an X-pipe -- I think someone posted that above.

I WANT interior resonance and HUM :D The louder the better. I like hearing it in the cabin.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom