Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

BORLA XR-1, BORLA STINGERS, or SLP LOUDMOUTH???

C598LS1

Corvette
1998 Sebring Silver C5 Coupe MN6
Again, i'm looking for a deep, rich and powerful sound....loud. I dont want it to be raspy or tinny.....eventually, i will be adding headers and high-flow cats....so thats something to consider. But right out of the box, which muffler system will give me what i want to hear?

I'm a huge fan of the Borla Stingers. We put them on our '02 two years ago and have never regretted it. They give that very throaty sound andis what we think should have been on the C5's right from the factory!:)

Elaine

I have the Borla XR1.

Mine has a deep throaty sound, rumbles at idle, screams at wide throttle. Quite loud, its been known to set off car alarms nearby.

I have a 422 with a generous cam and supercharger, headers, performance cats, so mine may not sound quite like one would on stock. This is perfect for me, about as close to a big block sound as you can probably ever get with the LS engine. I would not switch to anything else.

Only downside is resonance in the cabin around 2000rpm. With a 6 speed easy enough to get away from, might be tough on an automatic.

GS Diva might be able to give you info about resonance with the stingers, since I heard the stingers have much less resonance than the XR1s. Something to consider perhaps.

I have no personal experience with the loudmouth.

I got my mufflers cut off an had them weld piping out to some resonator tips. It sounds awesome. ANd it was definetly the most bang for my buck at a total of 260 dollars.

Ok, well, i've ruled out the SLP Loudmouth. Its down now to the Borla Stingers vs. the XR-1. I've heard both on Mid America Motorworks website, but i still cannot decide which to get. I want a loud, deep, throaty mean sound, but not raspy/tinny. Rigtht now the vette is stock as far as the motor, and i just wonder how each would sound on a stock motor with no cam/heads etc.

I have the Borla Stingers on my 2001 Coupe. I think the sound is perfect. It sounds 10 times better than stock, but not so load that it wakes up the neighbors when I start it. It sounds pretty mean at WOT!

Have you looked into the Billy Boats? I have them on my 04 conv and they sound AWESOME!

Thanks DRTH! I kind of lost all my bookmarks on my computer when I moved to Florida. Finally gettin' organized again! Appreciate the welcome!

ok so i've pretty much decided on the stingers, quad tip. Now....two more questions for everyone. First, where can i get the best price for these? I've heard poeple getting them for under 700 shipped. I'd probably go with the quad tip setup, but that brings me to the other qustion of mine....oval tips or round? I cant quite tell, but it looks like the oval tips are rolled and look nicer, but i need a more accurate picture to show me what they would look like from the back....can anyone help me with that? Thanks...

Hi all.This spring I put the BB Bullet system on my 99 coupe,and I love them! They sound as though I have side pipes and you can feel the differance in all gears! I dont like the neighbours,so its good to wake them up with!

Tysvetcloseupinfrontyard2.jpg

The Borla's are nice but I went with the B&B PRT Tri-Flow with the elliptical tips, new cross pipe and B&B Tri-Flow headers. I kept the same cat's as the high flow made it a little too loud. It sounds mean when you put your foot into it and purrs like a tiger at 85.

The high flows may go on at a later date....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom