Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

bose gold question

V

vent69

is there av hook ups in the back of the stock radio so one could run the wires to a speakers in the back

thanx
vent69

I assume you are trying to hook up subs? I am 99% sure you have no A/V hookups (i assume you are talking about RCA outputs?, and the factory deck? CD?) It isn't easy dealing with the Bose system while adding speakers... The autmotive stereo industry operates at a 4 ohm standard... Bose opted for 1 ohm...

(the less ohms the less quality, but the less power needed to make a ton of noise--- home stereos are 6 or 8 ohms, higher because there are no space constrictions and the sound is cleaner)

It is possible to wire in subs from the back speakers, but it must be done before the bose amp, then with a crossover... Typically you have to do a wire to RCA conversion, to an amp, then back to wire again... sound quality usually gets worse through a converter though... If you are still interested, write back and i will give some more details

Bose Gold (junk)

Just had all the caps in my rear speakers replaced. Still squealing and popping noise intermitantly. I called Crutchfield, seems they get this call often. They suggest replacing with a double din radio and their adapter to drive the Mickey Mouse Bose speakers $350 minimum but will work. Any ideas on best way to go? Hard to believe they put this kind of junk in such a nice car.

:confused

Love my Bose

I'm suprised to see so many people (not just this post) unhappy with the Bose system in their Corvettes. I love Bose! To me the Bose system in the Corvette is one of the best factory setups you can get. The C5 Bose system is even better. Granted now a days you can get an after market system that has better sound quality and more bass capability, but look at what you have to do to get it...add big subs and amps. where are you going to put all that crap in a Corvette. To me, the Bose gives the best of both worlds, a very good system that gives the typical Corvette owner the sound quality that he or she wants. The stereo system I had in my old '85 Toyota Supra was capable up producing more bass and at a louder volume, but it required removing the back seats and using the seat tub as a mold to build a fiberglass subwoofer enclosure, two 10" subs, a large amp, and gobs of extra wiring. I probably added 100+ pounds to the car to equal or slightly exceed the quality I get from the Corvette Bose system. Call me old fashioned, but I'm the only one that wants to hear my music in my car...the rest of the populous on the highway doesn't care to hear my oldies blaring at thunderous volumes...just as much as I don't care to hear the crap people are calling "music" these days as they "roll up" a block away.

Hoping I'm using the new term for "drive by" correctly.
Just an old fogey in a young man's body:)

You probably still like it because it hasn't broken yet. LOL... really, if you look at the Bose system from a technical standpoint, it is real crap. 1 ohm is suitable for a clock radio, not a car! I had a double din stereo in my '93, and it was much better... The bose system sounds ok until it breaks... if you heard what a real stereo sounded like in a vette, you would probably ditch the Bose.

I wouldn't keep the Bose speakers though... You have to buy the converter to even use them (because you are going from 4 ohms to the Bose's 1 ohm) and the sound quality just isn't there. I am not sure how much the converters cost, but you are better off putting the money into new speakers... in the long run you will be happier.

Any Bose

....was a FAIR system @ the time..but overpriced.

I have to agree with the BOSE killers here.

The 2nd problem is MOST car stereo places do not know how to do a car stereo install in a Vette..... CORRECTLY.

I do sound PROFESSIONALLY......

And have heard BOTH systems.

The Bose is a OK system...

But you can do MUCH better if you.....

a) Go after market.

b) If you are NOT doing the install yourself... find a COMPETENT place to do the job.

Vig!

My bose sounds great!!! That is when it works.My passenger side front and rear speakers go out. Tried to fix it twice ,works for awhile and then nothing!:hb

Bose woe's

Catchy title. :D

My bose driver's speaker is dead, and the CD player doesn't work. I'm going to work on these and other problems this winter. Looks like I have to pull the drivers seat to remove the kick panel to get to the speaker (I have a convertible). Can anyone confirm that's how you get to the speaker? And, any idea if these things can be fixed?

Also, does anyone know if the CD player can be repaired? Is it worth it, or, should I consider an aftermarket replacement?

Thanks for the opinions!

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones - and maybe I shouldn't say this because we all know what happens then - because my Bose has been working great, and I just turned 60k on the speedo. If it does break, I'm going for an after-market setup, speakers and all.

I installed a Kicker self-powered sub in my '89 convert.
I wired the kicker's inputs to the output of the Bose rear speakers amp
(same as input to the Bose speakers).
The Kicker has it's own mixer and amp so it doesn't draw on the Bose
system - it only picks up the signal.
The sound is great !
I listen to Rock and I needed a strong base sound which the Bose just
can't deliver.
I also found that the Bose manual says to turn the Treble and Bass
controls to max for normal use !
Turn them down only when you get noise.
HTH

Sub install

I installed a polk 10" off my back bose speaker, just as he said. It soulds great. Just make sure your amp has some sort of crossover in it.

I've made some killer systems for many vettes, tell me what your thinking about. I'll be glad to help.

Vrotate

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom