Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

bose or not

Dukeallen

Corvette
1989 Bright Red Coupe
Apologies if this is in the wrong area...
The speakers on my 89 are hissing, and it's been getting worse. I replaced the rears, which seemed the worst, and it helped...for about a minute. Now they sound crappy too.
I've talked to two stereo guys, both said the replacements are hard to find, so far that's been true, no real luck with any of the catalogs, although I know I can have them rebuilt. One catalog had them listed, but says it would take 100 DAYS for shipping, kinda hints to me that they don't actually have them either!
One stereo shop quoted me $700 to replace them with basic aftermarket speakers and a (cheap) radio, and to rewire the car.
Any opinions on this? I want to keep a stock look, and I actually still have a lot of cassettes but almost no CDs, so I really don't want an "upgrade" . Online I've found some non-bose GM radios out of 3rd gen Camaro's at decent prices, would they physically fit? They'd at least look similar, and I just want it to work, I don't care about having the power to blow out an ear drum :L
:w

Apologies if this is in the wrong area...
The speakers on my 89 are hissing, and it's been getting worse. I replaced the rears, which seemed the worst, and it helped...for about a minute. Now they sound crappy too.
I've talked to two stereo guys, both said the replacements are hard to find, so far that's been true, no real luck with any of the catalogs, although I know I can have them rebuilt. One catalog had them listed, but says it would take 100 DAYS for shipping, kinda hints to me that they don't actually have them either!
One stereo shop quoted me $700 to replace them with basic aftermarket speakers and a (cheap) radio, and to rewire the car.
Any opinions on this? I want to keep a stock look, and I actually still have a lot of cassettes but almost no CDs, so I really don't want an "upgrade" . Online I've found some non-bose GM radios out of 3rd gen Camaro's at decent prices, would they physically fit? They'd at least look similar, and I just want it to work, I don't care about having the power to blow out an ear drum :L

I hear ya !
There are almost countless stereos that will fit in the stock Bose hole...it just takes a new faceplate to cover any extra space left by a smaller unit. Thats the easy part. Running all new wire and fitting speakers where the old Bose boxes used to be, can be time comsuming and costly. $700 is not a bad price for all the work. Tuner, speakers, wiring...yeah, thats about right low end.

All I can tell you is that replacing non Bose is gonna cost. Mine is in the same shape. Lost one front speaker the other crackles, rears are blown but the only ones that can make any music like sound...tuner gets stuck on one station and won;t move no matter what the dial says its doing...and thats aggrevating. A good slap often "corrects" its attitude, but thats not helping the worn out tuner. Besides, people crack up when they see me assaulting my radio like that...:L

There are places that rebuild Bose, maybe thats the best answer. Get the tuner serviced, then add new speakers or rebuild in pairs. That may take awhile but it'll remain stock. There is also the option of used or salvage parts.
Doing a complete non Bose change out may as well be buying and installing a stereo for a car that never had one...you have to buy every little piece and do ALL the work. Repair may end up cheaper.

thanks...I really just can't decide if I want it repaired, only to have to do it again a few years down the road, or go with a GM-looking non-bose. The car is (almost) mint, the radio is really the only thing to get sorted out.
I just need to make up my mind :Silly

Bose

DukeAllen:

My system in my 93 acted the same way each has described. Popular mythodology(I think) is that the speakers are bad (amplifiers, etc.) and are expenseive to fix using a vendor and a so-so challenge (also not cheap) to use a kit and DIY.

I lived with the continuing decline until May of this year, all of it including the cutting out. Finally, the head swallowed a cassette and would not give it back. Finally got it to play brodcast but still no cassette and problems continued unabated.

Sooo, I searched on line for "Dr. Don" a vendor that has been mentioned many times on the problems with the Corvette radios. (There are others as well that do a good job.) My intent was to fix the head unit and then work on the speaker system.

I called the good Dr. chatted with his for about 3 minutes and purchased a cd/cassett unit (the cost at that time was the same as refurbishing the original unit). Three days later I had the unit (no exchange). Bottom line, installed the refurbished head unit, as good as new, no poping, hissing, or cutting out. I can now play my CDs & cassettes as I wish and I do not have to drive the speaker amps so hard to hear and enjoy my play.

So, FWIW I advise that you look to a stock refurbished head unit (easy, plug and play) AND THEN look into the speaker problem. Certtainly, there are present technology answers with superior performance to 17 year old technolgy, but for ease of maintenace and support, etc. I don't think my approach can be beatern, and it certainly did not require some "kid" to crawl around inside my vehicle with wire cutters and a soldering gun etc. With proper maintenace these cars seem (at least to me) reliable and with a set of FSMs supportable at any GM dealer (even if they don't really want to do it [that's why they have "Maintenance Zone Managers"]).

Do however, consider carefully ALL the comments you receive on this forum. There is some awfully good help and really supporting fellow members. Corvette, it is an adventure and it is not for the faint of heart.

Charles

Charles
Thanks, in fact earlier today I ordered a refurbished head unit. I plan to go through everything, fixing and replacing until it's as close to new as I can get.

Charles
Thanks, in fact earlier today I ordered a refurbished head unit. I plan to go through everything, fixing and replacing until it's as close to new as I can get.

I'm leaning the same way...I remember the Bose sounding pretty good and hope to have that again. I am not all that excited about gutting the system for an aftermarket system that was not specifically designed for the plastic body.
All things being equal, I think I'd have to spend a LOT more to get a different system that sounded as good. Loud is not nearly as important as clear, clean sound.

The Bose system can be repaired at Sound Repair. Type it in on the search and yo will find them. they are in Fl.: They are really good and specialize in the Bose System. I sent mine in to them and they come back repaired and cleaned and you still have the stock system. They upgrade the transistors and such to todays standards. I have no intrest in the Co. except to say that they do good work.

I for one am going to keep my bose system intact. Right now the CD player has quit on me, but I use an Ipod with a cassette adapter anyway. When the time comes, I will have my system restored by Roberts Auto Stereo here in Lousiville.

It is more if you like better sound or a stock car. I did a aftermarked system in my car last winter. Take your time and the wiering is easy. Go to "crutchfield.com" and they have a page where you can equipp your car.

Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom