Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bose Speaker/Amplifier Repair Through Bose

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Just an FYI, I notied last weekend that one of my Bose speaker amps bit the dust when I turned the radio on. I had heard that Bose will either repair the amp or the entire speaker assembly with updated components that are much better than what was available from the factory at the time the car was manufactured. Below is an e-mail response I received from Bose:

Hello Robert,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Bose Automotive Music System
in your 1990 Chevrolet Corvette. In answer to your question, Bose
Corporation can repair the speaker and amplifier assemblies at a cost of
$140. each or (4 for $420) plus shipping if you can remove them and send
them in to us. The timeframe is approximately 3 weeks and we will need
your mailing address to forward the paperwork.

Please let me know if you are interested in sending the speaker and
amplifier assemblies in to us for repair.Thank you for contacting Bose
Corporation.
Patty Bolack
Consumer Relations Division

An approximate 3 week turn around at $140 or $420 a pop?! That seems a bit steep to me. You'd think Bose could do better considering the advancement in the technology. Say like..., original packaging with upgraded components. Otherwise..., I'll go with stock/used. Which I'm in the process of doing. Mine are popping and cutting out when some songs on my CDs are played at a certain volume. I've asked earlier on the CAC where the amp relay is so I can go ahead and replace it before I change out the speaker/amps.

bose repair

I had the same problem on my 90,the problem is the amp circuit board.These amp circuit boards are now available on E-bay.I just bought one for my car,and they are a reproduction part that you can easily change yourself. I think they are selling for about $75.00 and would definately be a savings from what bose wants to repair them.Good luck

I raid the Salvage yards around here,It's the same Amp and Speakers in allot of Mazda 626,Mazda 929,Nissan Maxima's,Chevrolet Camaros,Chevrolet P/U,GMC P/U and many others with a Bose!!!! Just a different housing!! Most of the time, the Power Capacitor gets wet and Blows,$3.00 at Radio Shack!! I repair them all the time I'm sure I've got a Amp if you want it Rob!!! PM me with your address and I'll send it to you!! Is it the front or rear bad?I don't think theres any difference on a GM ( I slept since then) but on some of the Japanese stuff there is!!! This is a rear out of a Maxima,but I'm sure it will work!! Or you can call me at 1-877-677-2984 ext 1 . I've got more but I have to dig them out!! :upthumbs junk!!

• Admin
That price includes upgrading all the components in the speaker, not just the amp/circuit board.

bose speakers

Saw your post on Boes speakers. The two front speakers on my '88 Vette are, one dead and the other critical. Where are the amps you mention in your posts? are they integral with the speaker or somewhere in the dash?

Regards, Mel

Saw your post on Boes speakers. The two front speakers on my '88 Vette are, one dead and the other critical. Where are the amps you mention in your posts? are they integral with the speaker or somewhere in the dash?

Regards, Mel
There inside the speaker housing behind the speakers,you'll have to take the housing out and split it!!(I cant remember how many screws!!) But there like Prago there in there!!:upthumbs

Bose amps

As previously said the,the amps are in the speakers,which means you have to remove the speakers to get at them.They are a small circuit board measuring about three by three and a half inches.You simply remove and replace it with a new one.I think Mid America Motorworks carries them now .Good luck

Send the amps to DR. DONS in texas. They do a great job fixing amps for about half the cost of bose. rwrioux
ph# 936-435-1811
huntsville tx.

Bose Speaker Amp

I raid the Salvage yards around here,It's the same Amp and Speakers in allot of Mazda 626,Mazda 929,Nissan Maxima's,Chevrolet Camaros,Chevrolet P/U,GMC P/U and many others with a Bose!!!! Just a different housing!! Most of the time, the Power Capacitor gets wet and Blows,$3.00 at Radio Shack!! I repair them all the time I'm sure I've got a Amp if you want it Rob!!! PM me with your address and I'll send it to you!! Is it the front or rear bad?I don't think theres any difference on a GM ( I slept since then) but on some of the Japanese stuff there is!!! This is a rear out of a Maxima,but I'm sure it will work!! Or you can call me at 1-877-677-2984 ext 1 . I've got more but I have to dig them out!! :upthumbs junk!!

Hi Junk, Do you happend to have a picture to illustrate what the power capacitor is on the amplifier itself. I think I have 4 bum amps in my 92 and am thinking about rebuilding them myself. Thanks.:beer

Hi Junk, Do you happend to have a picture to illustrate what the power capacitor is on the amplifier itself. I think I have 4 bum amps in my 92 and am thinking about rebuilding them myself. Thanks.:beer
I probly have 1 some where,I'll look! But it's kinda hard for me to believe all 4 went at once,you get struck by lightning??:D:D:D Also here is 1 fuse on some models and 2 on others on the backside of the head unit in the dash,I had a 91 once that none of the speakers worked and it ended up being a fuse in the back of it!! but I still had to repair the front amps!!:thumb

Just an FYI, I notied last weekend that one of my Bose speaker amps bit the dust when I turned the radio on. I had heard that Bose will either repair the amp or the entire speaker assembly with updated components that are much better than what was available from the factory at the time the car was manufactured. Below is an e-mail response I received from Bose:

Thanks for posting Rob. I think that's a great price because it includes anything needed, not just some components. I hope you're putting this reference in the permanent blog here for when I need it.

I probly have 1 some where,I'll look! But it's kinda hard for me to believe all 4 went at once,you get struck by lightning??:D:D:D Also here is 1 fuse on some models and 2 on others on the backside of the head unit in the dash,I had a 91 once that none of the speakers worked and it ended up being a fuse in the back of it!! but I still had to repair the front amps!!:thumb

Ok thanks. I wasn't aware of the fuses on the head unit itself. I only have one speaker working in the front but its all distorted and unamplified. The back two worked intermittently when I first got the car last year, but now they don't work at all...well, once in while, they come on all distorted and muffled, but hardly ever. I have the bose gold system and am hoping to revive it (cheaply) without having to replace everything with aftermarket, like I had to do in my 84. I'm gonna pull the head unit tomorrow to check out the fuses. Thanks again..:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom