Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bought a new Vette tonight, 1987 NO AIR

Corvette
1985 Silver & 1987 silver
When you turn on the air conditioning, the compressor clutch is not engaging. it is the upgraded electronic hvac head unit that tells outside temp and also adjusts canin temp automatically, I.e. you set it at 72 degrees and it turns the air and fan accordingly to maintain that temp. IS THERE A CYCLE SWITCH ON THESE, IF SO WHERE? ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? thanks for helping, I hope to hear some answers, it was 116 degrees today and living in LAS VEGAS we are around 110 to 117 for next 2 months.

:mad:mad:mad this is my face when driving... I need some help please ....;shrug

My first suspect would be that there is no refrigerant in the system or it is low causing the pressure switch to prevent the compressor from engaging. There is a switch in the high pressure line with a two wire connector. First unplug this connector from the in-line switch and short across the two female terminals in the plug with a conductor and start the engine and turn the A/C system on to max. If the compressor engages have a service center put a set of gauges on the system to diagnois what is needed. It it still does not engage you will need to do or have done some electrical diagnosis to determine the faulty component.

The Pressure cycling switch is on the low side. (larger diameter metal tube).

To verify you have any refrigerant in the system look at the accumulator. That's the big silver colored metal can. On the side of that is the low pressure service port. May have a rubber cap covering it. Press on the schrader valve and see if any refrigerant comes out. Some people use a tire pressure gage to measure the pressure.

Look at the front of the evaporator housing. The larger tube that comes out of the housing is the low side. The pressure cycling switch is screwed into a schrader valve. The electrical plug is about the size of a half dollar. If you unplug the connector and use a paper clip and short the connector, start the engine and turn on the AC, the clutch should engage. If the clutch does engage you're probably low on refrigerant. The pressure cycling switch should close when the pressure is 47psi or higher.

The two switches mounted near each other on the small metal line are high pressure cut off and fan pressure switch to turn on the fan when the high pressure exceeds a certain pressure.

Make sure you have 12 Volts at the clutch as well after you know it has Freon and the low freon pressure switch is OK etc..

How much was the 87?

My bet - the person you bought the car from probably didn't want to re-charge the system, as your model takes the R12 refrigerant, which has become pricey. I had the same situation when I bought my 85, luckily I just had to recharge the system, all components were fine. Keep with the R12, I wouldn't convert to R134a, as the components are incompatible, even if you change the rubber pieces. R12 is really the best and coldest refrigerant.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom