Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bought my 454

You are not going to believe this, I sure don't....In front of the A/C condensor was a set of Spal Electric fans, that were literally buried in the condensor. I dug them out, and straightened the fan guard, ran two wires to them from a battery just now...and they still work!

One of fans seems like the blades is little out of balance, but it was turning!

Also, when I was taking things off the motor, I found two hydraulic lines that had gone to the radiator, much like an auto trans line would and back into the block near the oil filter. Is this for engine oil cooler lines? If so, I have never seen them go directly to the bottom of the block, but to an adaptor just above the filter.

Bill

matchframe said:
Also, when I was taking things off the motor, I found two hydraulic lines that had gone to the radiator, much like an auto trans line would and back into the block near the oil filter. Is this for engine oil cooler lines? If so, I have never seen them go directly to the bottom of the block, but to an adaptor just above the filter.

I think some big blocks were set up (from the factory) with ports for an oil cooler.

Joe

That is the oil cooler.

The bb has the oil passage running along the bottom of the block just above the oil pan.

Wow...spal fans and all....It just keeps getting better.

Hey...67, .400 is a Huge difference! I got 100 thousands stuck in my head from somewhere.... Anyway...that would be a pain to work around.

I have a feeling it will be fine. I have the same engine in my 1995 3500 truck (as far as I can tell from his description). It appears to be a normal deck from what I can tell (based on the # or rings needed to rebuild it).

The best part about these blocks is the ROLLER camshaft option.

I don't know how usable the fans will be, they took quite a beating. One of the fans was slow starting, and acted as if it were out of balance. I was just amazed that they still worked. My guess is that they were added to help in cooling the engine while sitting for long periods of time, like at an accident scene.

I have almost reconsidered renting the backhoe, because I will need the lift back at the shop. To unload the trailer without it, I will have to back the trailer all the way into the shop in order to get the hoist above it. In order to do that I will have to clear almost everything else out.

I also need to build another wooden dolly for the engine to live on for the immediate future. (The small block is living on the other dolly) Maybe now I can justify buying an engine stand!

Thanks for the oil cooler line info! I thought that's what it was.

I was able to get the entire hydraulic clutch disconnected yesterday, but could not pull it out. I did not break the line open, to keep the dirt out. The line ran across the bell housing, and since the engine is right on the firewall, I could not get it out of the truck, so I just tied the master and slave cylinders out of the way so I can get it all out when the engine is removed.

Those Alcoa rims chould bring in a pretty penny. Good Hunting!!!

All of the rims are in really good shape, even the one that got it's tire tore up is in good shape. I pulled both of the front rims today, and thought that with a little cleaning, they would look almost new. How much do you think they are worth?

Well, it was one of those days! When I was packing the van with tools to finally do the pull, I thought "I don't need the cutting torch" Well, I cannot get the trans crossmember away from the trans because of the bent frame and broken trans mount. The trans mount was shifted over to where one of the bolts that goes to the trans was inaccessible. Without the trans dropping, I could not pull the motor up to clear the mounts. I even started unbolting the motor mounts from the frame, to try to slide everything forward, until I got to the ones where the frame is bent, and there was no way getting that out without a torch.

So I had to leave the engine lift out there with the trailer over night. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!

Bill

Don't know their value, but they are widely used as an upgrade on custom trucks like the duallys, busses and rigs. Here is a site http://www.alcoawheels.com/n_america_new.asp for info and you could call them with the p/n if you can get it and ask how much to get a set. That will give you an idea of the new value.

Thanks Blue82!

Well finally got the Big Block home! It was hard work because the bent frame did not allow for much movement. I ended up cutting the crossmember out to let the trans drop, taking the exhaust manifolds off, and engine mounts on the frame off. Working on dirt only added to the difficulty. Once I got the engine and trans in the air, I could not move the lift because it actually went through the 3/4-inch plywood I had under it. Fortunately, my Dad's tractor was nearby, and the key was actually in it! I was able to pull the lift w/ engine hanging from it out away from the truck, then back the trailer under the engine. By this time it was dark thirty and that only added to the frustration, but I managed to get everything loaded up, then discovered that the trailer lights did not work. It is a brand new trailer, so I will have to try to find out what the deal is there later.

Here is the block casting number: 10114182 According to the numbers 67HEAVEN posted, it looks like I have a tall deck block. Kinda bums me out, not sure what to do now. I will think about it tomorrow.

The only number I found on the trans is: 16812

matchframe said:
Here is the block casting number: 10114182 According to the numbers 67HEAVEN posted, it looks like I have a tall deck block. Kinda bums me out, not sure what to do now. I will think about it tomorrow.

Looks like a four-bolt bottom end tall-deck 454.

***Best talk to a guy behind the Chevy parts counter to be sure.***

matchframe said:

The only number I found on the trans is: 16812

Hey, if it is...no worries.

Port polish and trick up the heads. It should have a roller cam. If not, get one that is a EFI match. The EFI systems from Edelbrock is a direct match for that engine that I posted earlier. All that leaves you to do is figure out the header issue if any.

You should be able to get that rat motor to pull down some solid hp and torque numbers, and run smooth as a kitten at idle and around town with the EFI. You already have the other parts...so it is a win/win.

I wonder if you can stuff Hyper U pistons in there to lighten the load a bit, and bump the compression up just a tad. There should be no reason why it won't make a realistic 350 hp and nearly 500 ft pounds of torque!

Tall or Standard deck??

10114182 is the casting number, but I talked with several people today that makes me believe that this may be a standard deck Big Block, here's why; the tall deck is .400 inch taller. The sure way of physically determining a tall deck is where the water pump bolt holes are. A standard deck has the top of the water pump almost touching the deck, a tall deck has almost a 1/2 inch between the water pump bolt holes and the deck. I looked at my block, and the waterpump bolt holes are right next to the deck.

My buddy at the speed shop said the best thing about a tall deck is the high torque....the 0-60 can be impressive. The down side of a tall deck is the limited aftermarket parts and variability of trying things such as intakes etc...would be very limited.

I called a machine shop about what they knew about Tall Decks. I asked them if it could be machined down .400 of an inch, but they said there was no way, it would get into the water jackets. They also told me about the waterpump bolt holes-to-deck test.

I went to a Chevy dealer who is the local Scoggins-Dickey outlet. I talked with them about the tall deck, and they said that a tall deck in a Vette, I would not be happy with it. They were the first ones to tell me about the waterpump check.

Anyway, I just want to know without a doubt what I have. The numbers show it is a tall deck, the other indications show otherwise. Any ideas?

Bill

Here is a pic of the waterpump bolt close to the deck...a little hard to see because I have not cleaned it up yet;

Here is a pic of the trans...the rag is where the Power Take Off was;

Re: Tall or Standard deck??

matchframe said:
Anyway, I just want to know without a doubt what I have. The numbers show it is a tall deck, the other indications show otherwise. Any ideas?

Bill

Bill,

I would post a thread in C3 and in C2 asking for info on the block casting number........standard or tall?

Someone should be able to quote from Chevrolet publications. Mine are all non-Chevrolet sources.

I agree though.......better to know before you take any further steps either way.

P.S. I hope that monster isn't messing up that beautiful garage floor. :eek

Thanks 67!

The floor is a mess right now, but it will clean up.

Bill

Distributor comparision

I just dug out my small block distributor and compared it with the distributor out of the Big Block. From the bottom of the flange that sits on top of the intake, to the bottom of the shaft, both distributors are identical. If the Big Block were a Tall Deck, wouldn't the distributor from it be longer?

Still just trying to find out....

Bill

Quote from Chevrolet power book:
short block measures 9.80 from crank centerline to deck surface.
tall block measures 10.20
the most important to you is this part:
intake manifold and DISTRIBUTOR designed for short version will not fit tall blocks.

since small and big block distributors (except tall deck) are the same it should be safe to say you have a short deck

also
High performance blocks can be identified by two threaded oil cooler outlets located directly above the oil filter pad, looks like you have a high performance block.

the Chevy power book is available from your local Chevy dealer and has part numbers, dimensions,tips and instructions on building Chevy's for Racing
Craig sr

I just found that Mortec has a web page w/ casting numbers, and my number is not a tall deck!! It says that it is a '91-and later 454 4 bolt. Here is a link to the page; http://www.mortec.com/bbc.htm

I will definately have a better day here on!

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom