Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bought my 454

M

matchframe

I finally found a Big Block for my Vette!

I was driving last Friday and saw a salvage yard that had a wrecked truck in front w/ a 4 sale sign. I stopped and was looking through the crumpled hood when a worker walked up. I asked him what kind of engine did this truck have. He said a vortec V6. I then asked him if they had any Big Blocks for sale. He pointed to a wrecked Wrecker and said that it had a High output 454 and the owner wants to part out the truck. I asked him a little more about the truck and he said he thought it was a 1998 or 99 GMC. I left him my number and ask him to give it to the owner, and that I was very interested in the engine. I got a call about an hour later, and it was the owner of the salvage yard, and the truck. He told me that he wanted to sell the entire truck, and that he wanted $1,500. I asked him more about the truck, and he told me that it was a 1992 GMC. I told him I wanted it.

Saturday, I went to make the deal, and discovered that it was in fact a 1992 Chevrolet 454 w/ a 5 speed overdrive transmission. The only way I could tell it was a Chevrolet was the title and the horn button, because the grill no longer existed. The wrecker was involved in a low speed head-on collision that wiped out an Explorer. The owner told me the trans was rebuilt last year along with the dually rear end. I hope to get my money back by selling a lot of things off the truck. The interior is in good shape and has the factory full gauge set-up. The body has the above windshield louvers, and fiberglass thing that goes over the roof with fog lights on top, as well as matching running boards that were not damaged in the wreck.

After getting it delivered to my brother's property, I started working my way though the wreckage. Getting the hood up, finally, I discovered that the engine was untouched by the wreck, and so was the entire serpentine belt setup that included a new high amp alternator. The A/C compressor looks good, but was expose to atmosphere because of the busted up condensor. I was getting pretty excited by this point, then I noticed that it also had a fairly new hybra-boost brake setup. Putting the cutting torch to work, I was able to clear away everything in front of the engine. (Any one need a radiator that is bent at a 45-degree angle?)

I now have to figure out how to lift the engine out and get it on the lowboy trailer. I have two chain hoists, but they are no good if there is nothing to hang them from. I am thinking about renting a hydraulic hoist and getting several sheets of 3/4-inch plywood for the lift to work on. I think I can lift the engine out, turn the hoist around and back the trailer under the engine and lower to the trailer.

Definitely shade tree mechanix!

To top off the weekend, I am having my backyard graded to re-route rainwater to the ditches, instead of through my garage. In the process, the bobcat, as well as shovels cut though my phone line in three places. So I have no access to the Internet at home right now. When I do get back online, I will post some pics of all the fun I am having.

Bill

Save those running boards for me buddy. Those'll look great on a Vette :s

Youll see me waving soon :w
Steve'O

Macgyver said:
Save those running boards for me buddy. Those'll look great on a Vette :s

If you get sidepipes, they can protect your ankles from burns :)

Joe

The valve covers are black aluminum with "454 Tonawanda Engines" on them. I looked up Tonawanda Engines on google and found that GM has an engine plant in Tonawanda, NY. My guess is that this must be a crate engine. Since the truck has 225,900 miles on it, I would be surprised if this were the original engine. If it is the original, then I will be punching it out at least .060 over. The tailpipe shows no evidence of oil burning, just running rich. Since the Oxygen sensor had no wire to it, I would suspect there was a "Check Engine" light on for quite some time.

I just about have the engine and trans out, I have to get a hoist out there to do the pull. Hopefully in the next few days, I can have everything I need off the truck so I can start selling whats left. I have several people interested in different things from the truck. The dually rearend seems to be the most popular item of interest. I am hoping that I can recover most of what I spent on the truck.

Bill

If that is a overdrive trans, then you are set with a complete basic package to build from.

You might also be interested to know that Edelbrock makes a special EFI conversion for the TBI 454.

You can see more about it here:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html

efi_tbi_callouts_sm.gif

looks like this installed:

3562.jpg

We are not talking about 600 hp here, but we are talking about a major improvement over a mild bb with a carb, and since you already have the rest of the system (because you bought the whole truck), converting would be a snap and save you a ton of $$$$$

You will have to flaten out your front x member to clear the pulley for the longer water pump and accessory system.

Man....you are going to have one sweet, neat, clean ride!

Between a EFI BB, five speed, hydraboost, and serp pulley system...you will be running with the big dogs at a fraction of the price (just fyi, my dual serp system with accesories cost more than you paid for the whole truck!).

Keep us posted!

Between a EFI BB, five speed, hydraboost, and serp pulley system...you will be running with the big dogs at a fraction of the price (just fyi, my dual serp system with accesories cost more than you paid for the whole truck!).

Keep us posted!

Ditto that!

matchframe said:
The valve covers are black aluminum with "454 Tonawanda Engines" on them. I looked up Tonawanda Engines on google and found that GM has an engine plant in Tonawanda, NY. My guess is that this must be a crate engine.

Matchframe,

You've got a real find there. Parts sales should easily recover your purchase costs.

All big blocks have been built in Tonawanda (suburb of Buffalo), even mine :D , since they came out in 1965. Right now, they're building the Vortec 8100 "Big Block".

Word of caution. Prior to getting too far into that block, check out the casting number. If it's any of the following, it's a tall-deck truck block which can cause you lots of grief with exhaust, intake, pullies, etc.

There may be other 454 tall-deck casting numbers besides these. For all I know, though, tall-decks maybe only came in 5-ton or larger trucks, but you'd better check before you get too far into it.

Post the casting number here and we can tell you what it is.

Good luck.

5 speed

The trans from the truck is a 5 speed overdrive. It had a powertakeoff bolted to the side before I bought it. Right now, there is an opening where the PTO was. I can make a plate and gasket to cover this. The shift knob shows: L, 1, 2, 3, OD, R. I asked the previous owner if the Low was a granny gear, and he said "No, but they usually took off in 2nd, which is marked "1" on the knob". He said the low was quite low. The physical size of the trans is just a little larger than a 4 speed.

The clutch has the hydraulic release.

Would this trans work as a street driver for the Vette? I have a 3.08 gear in the rearend.

Bill

Block Casting Number

Where would I find the casting number on a Big Block?

Bill,

My guess is most enthusiasts would not suggest using the truck hd trans. This is only because it is not thought of as a performance unit. However, imagine the posibilities.

If it has a super low 1st, and OD...you could run 2:56 gears in that car. You could peel out like a bandit, and cruise on the highway like a fighter jet in OD. Your 0-60 times would be stunning, and you could still push high teens, low twenties or more when cruising (depending on how radical you make the engine). Heck...if you run the multi port EFI, port/polish the heads, bump up the compression, and run longer roller rockers...with free flow exhaust--you would be making solid power and maybe high twenties on the highway.

Any major trans swap will require mods to the X member, etc.
Putting a clutch pedal assembly and hooking up the hydraulic is not that bad of a job.

I don't know where to tell you to look for those numbers.

However, when you get them....also get the ones of the trans and post them so we can research them.

Oh...BTW... the high deck won't be a problem if you know you have it, and you work around it.

Most BB parts are set up as tall or short deck. You just need to make sure you purchase parts that match (it will make a difference on compression, etc).

Also, the EFI kit I listed above is a direct match for that motor...so no worries.

It should have a full roller cam being a 92. However, at the least, it is machined for one even if you have a standared flat tappet cam in there.

No worries. You can get the retainer bearing for a roller motor, and roller hardward and slap it all in place.

I have done this on several small blocks with the type II roller design.

Re: Re: Block Casting Number

67HEAVEN said:

Tall-decks can be problematic in many ways. Headers can be a problem, intakes, etc.

Hopefully, you don't have one so it won't matter.

Hey 67,

I hear the tall deck is 100 thousands taller than a standard bb at the top of the cylinders....is that correct?

I guess that would push everything up a tad.

I was constantly asked if I had a tall block 454 when ordering parts for my car. They would tell me that the push rods needed to be a different length...etc.

I never really got into it beyond that...of course, because I don't have a tall block.

Thanks for the block casting locations! That is a great website to remember. I will try to look for mine tomorrow. If I cannot see it, I should have the engine out by Friday, it is ready to come out now, I just have to get a lift out there.

Here is a pic of the wrecker I took this afternoon, remember, I don't have the technological cutting edge in digital camera equipment. I could not get a decent picture of the engine, I may have to wait until I get it out.

Check out the size of the sway bar, it is going over the top of the differential;

After I get the engine back to the shop, the first thing I plan to do is a compression check, then pull the intake to see what type of cam it has, then pull the pan to see what the bottom end looks like. The heads will come off to see if and how much of a lip the cylinders may have. After all of that, a trip to the machine shop will most likely be next.

I plan to get a set of aluminum heads, possibly Edelbrock, or Air Flow Research to lighten the load, and squeak out a little more power.

The EFI idea is really appealing, I like the idea of today’s technology in yesterday's Vettes....and of course the WOW factor is always nice!

I will post the numbers from the block and trans to see if anybody can identify what I have....hopefully it will be something I can use.

Thanks for everybody's help!

Bill

Bill,

If it's a tall deck block, it'll be .400" taller than a passenger car block.

The distributor, belts and pushrods will be longer, the intake slightly wider and the pistons have 4 rings rather than 3.

If you find that you have one, you'll be looking at major changes to get it responsive enough to satisfy a Corvette owner. Remember, truck engines are designed for heavy hauling over long distances and the ignition, intake, cam, heads, etc. are all configured for that purpose.

Suggestion. If you find it to be a tall deck block, sell it to realize funds towards a passenger block. A tall deck block can be built to run with the big boys, but it'll cost ya.

Good luck whatever you choose.

I measured the distributor from the 454 this morning. From the bottom lip that sits on the intake manifold to the bottom edge of the oil pump drive, I measured 7 3/4 inches. I used a wooden ruler, so I guess that it would be somewhat accurate. Maybe from that, someone could tell if it is a tall deck block.

My understanding about block casting is that it is on the lip of the block on the driver’s side where the bell housing attaches. Because the frame was pushed back, I don't think there is enough room for me see any numbers in that area, until I have the block out.

I called a buddy of mine that works at a speed shop, and asked him what he knew about tall deck Big Blocks. He said that he understands that they came only on 5-ton trucks and larger...like dump trucks. He said that as long as you knew that you had a tall deck block, it could be worked with, but some parts would be hard to find for performance upgrades, and that you would not get the performance as easily as a standard block because of the extra piston rings.

Hopefully, the motor I have is the standard block, but if it is not, I may try to sell this one and find a standard block. If that is the case, I think I still be ahead of the game because I have a complete serpentine system, and Hydraboost brakes, and the trans if I go that direction. (Leaning that way right now on the trans) By selling off the remainder of the truck, I hope to recover what I have spent on it.

Bill

I tried to look for the casting number, but the wreck had pushed the frame back, and the engine is right on the firewall...not touching, but too close to try to see some numbers.

I now have the engine all loose and ready to lift out. I went to a tool rental store to get a lift, but they wanted $70 for 24 hours rental...this is a hydraulic lift that can be towed down the road from a trailer hitch. I went to another store not far from where the truck is, they did not have any engine lifts, but will rent me a back-hoe for $50 for 24 hours! Go figure! I will attach a chain to the bucket of the back-hoe to lift the engine out. Talk about country boy shade tree mechanix!

Tomorrow I will have the engine on the trailer and heading to the shop.

I will post the casting numbers from the block and trans tomorrow evening.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom