Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bouncing off the rev limiter

Paul G

Corvette
96 CE LT4 Convertible
MY CE is getting new tires this Saturday. So I am thinking lets see what kind of burn out we can do. I pick up my buddy Gary and we go out on this road that is blocked due to construction down on the tracks. No traffic on this road right now. I bring up the R's and dump the clutch. Wheels start to spin and then the gas pedal kicks back at my foot. DOOO... forgot to turn the ASR off. Lets try again. Bring up the R's and dump the clutch this time the rear end is swinging to the left then to the right. I cant keep it straight. Next thing the engine is hitting red line and the tires are getting obliterated back there. Three times the engine cuts back (rev limiter I guess) but continues to destroy the tires. I cant believe this car. It spun the tires all the way to redline and stayed there. What a monster!! We went back to look at the patch we laid. I would estimate two solid black lines for at least 150' until I backed off. I started to get a little concerned about hitting the rev limiter so much, and the rear was swinging back and fourth a little too much. Out of control was coming soon.

Needless to say I am very impressed with this LT4. I can still smell the tire smoke sitting here thinking about it.

Did I do any damage bouncing off the rev limiter like that?

I would say no. That is its purpose to save the motor. I just would not do it to often.

No you should have not hurt anything the rev limiter restricts the fuel flow and sends less voltage to the fuel pump and limits the rps that way if you are running Nitrous ON your car ,the motor would have gone bye bye!!:D

Vettefan where are you at in Northern Indiana? I am in Griffith. Just south of the Gary / Merrillville area.

Paul

That's what the rev limiter is for - to keep you from doing any damage. Nice burn-out!!

Paul G said:
Vettefan where are you at in Northern Indiana? I am in Griffith. Just south of the Gary / Merrillville area.

Paul
I live right outside of Elkhart, about 15 minutes from Notre Dame. We aren't that far away.

Justin

Well its fine if its a real rev limiter, that cuts spark instead of fuel. However the stock systems are actually fuel cutoffs, which are not great for the pistons (they get cooked).

What you really need to worry about is valve float from staying at high rpm, unless you have springs that are tougher than stock, youll run into this and ruin the stock springs.

If you dont detect a miss, dont worry about it, but just dont make a habit of doing this.

... WOW!!!!

.... next time try pulling a cog BEFORE you top out .... I'm curious if the tires would still be smoking!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom