Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Boze Audio Issue with L. Front & R. Rear speakers?

Mocart4u

Corvette
1994 Admiral Metalic Blue C-4 Coupe
Today the audio from the l. front & r. rear speakers quit working. The radio sound quit working today. Would you think the radio went bad or maybe did it drop a connection. I wouldn't suspect a fuse because two of the four speakers have sound.

Any Input is Appreciated!

Mocart4u, ;)

Last edited:
Antz81,

That's the assistance that I was plugging for. I was just on their site that you informed me of and that looks like what I was looking for.

That link will definitely help me to keep my C-4 in all original condition.

Best Regards & a Great Big Thank You,
Mocart4u

;), :thumb

Last edited:
Likely the amplifiers

Had the same problem and it is likely the amplifiers. Go directly to Bose. The lady there on the order desk (lost her name now)_is extremely helpful and the price of the amplifier with them is significantly cheaper then from the Vette suppliers. Replacing them is easy peasy as they just unplug from the speaker. Fixed mine in my '92 Z07 no probs.

C4 Delco Bose Repair

Today the audio from the l. front & r. rear speakers quit working. The radio sound quit working today. Would you think the radio went bad or maybe did it drop a connection. I wouldn't suspect a fuse because two of the four speakers have sound.

Any Input is Appreciated!

Mocart4u, ;)

A few months back I had the same issue you are speaking of. First the front speakers went out, then poof, they all went out.

Here is what I found, depending on the year you could have 2 or 3 fuses associated with the stereo, initially 1 of mine were blown.
My left front amplifier was suffering from capacitor leak which shorted out the front channel,
Next, the CDM (the unit that is responsible for power distribution, pre-amplification and control) failed.

Since I really like my C4 and have no plans on selling it I decided to have the system overhauled and sent in all the major components including the CD/Radio unit because the CD player didn't work.

Once I had all the parts out I noticed that the left front amp and right rear amp has capacitor leak, the other 2 appeared ok. I removed the cover from the CDM and found evidence of leakage.

I sent the CD/Radio, CDM and all 4 amps to Factory Car Stereo Repair (Car Stereo Repair, Factory Car Stereo Repair Inc. We Know Car Stereo and Bose Repair) in Florida. To rebuild the 4 amps, CDM and CD/Radio with return shipping was $665.00 with the bulk of the cost being the CD unit.

Depending on your situation you can try to determine exactly what is at fault and simply replace that item.
Remove all 4 speaker assemblies and unplug them, check the radio and courtesy fuses to make sure they are not blown
Turn on your radio with the at half volume, split between front and rear, and on a radio station that you know will receive.
One by one plug in each amp and see if you hear sound. If not unplug and go to the next amp and do the same.
If you get no sound from any of the amps more than likely the CDM is shot. If you do get sound the amps that are not producing any sound are bad.

You will probably find 2 amps (one front and one rear) have gone out and are shorting out the complete system. If its the CDM be prepared for a real pain. :ugh
Depending on your year the CDM is either under the passenger side dash or located in the rear compartments. If you are handy with a soldering iron you could replace ALL of the capacitors on all 4 amps and the CDM. This will more than likely take care of all your problems (unless the leakage has damaged some other components). I know of those who have done this and saved some money. I really didn't want to screw with it and took the easy way out.

Anyway, you can see the web site for instructions on how to remove any component of the system.

Finally, as I had mentioned I had my complete system serviced and I can tell you it was worth the money. The stereo NEVER sounded as good as it does now, no poping, cracking, squeals or scratchy sounds just pure powerful music as it was originally intended. I have read many an article about the C4 Bose system and apparently Bose used some substandard components that failed long before they should have. :)

Good luck!

Thanks a bunch Terminator. That should be right up my alley. I will let you know when I have it all fixed!

Best Regards,
Mocart4u

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom