Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake Bleeding MC

Mooser

Corvette
1972 BB Coupe
After sitting forever (not my fault honest) my rear tank on the master cylinder was bone dry empty. I figure it leaked out the back somewhere, brakes on this have never been great, have ordered the o-ring conversion set. Probably install this winter.

I bought a Motive pressure bleeder after reading lots of positive reviews and was just wondering...
I should have to bleed the master since it went empty but do I need to remove it and bench bleed or will the pressure bleed take care of the master cylinder also?
Thanks
Mooser

Yep, find the leak first! If you see nothing on the calipers, pull the M/C and look in the power booster.

Hard to Find

Going to be hard to find, the car was at the body shop for 2+ years and then sat here for another 4+ years everything is dry (calipers, master, frame, lines, etc. Figure it's easier to bleed the system and then start hunting when/if it starts leaking again.
Since I need to bleed the master I might as well pull it off and have a look at the booster while I'm there.
New master+booster looks like just over 200 bucks, maybe best to replace it anyways
Thanks
Mooser

Might as well do it right, M/C, booster, calipers & hoses. If its been sitting that long and ? how long it was empty. The empty side is going to have rust all through it so look at the lines too.

Junk the master cylinder. Obviously there has been a leak. When you pull it, check the booster to determine whether the MC leaked out the back and into the booster. Bench bleed the replacement master cylinder before you install it.

:)

Yup Booster full of fluid, new master and booster ordered.
Then to add to the pain I pulled off all the calipers (going to change over to the o-rings now since everything is apart.
One caliper isn't stainless sleeved... Looks like bronze or something.
Can't win, can't loose, can't quit the game....
Anyway, thanks for the heads-up on the booster

Mooser

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but my MC was bone dry in the back section last time I drove it. Tomorrow i'm going to check it out to try and find the leak. My car does not have power brakes so can I expect to find brake fluid on my drivers side carpet?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but my MC was bone dry in the back section last time I drove it. Tomorrow i'm going to check it out to try and find the leak. My car does not have power brakes so can I expect to find brake fluid on my drivers side carpet?

Only if you don't find a leak anywhere else; the missing fluid is going somewhere.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom