Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

brake booster

spyysee

Corvette
1987 black beauty, all ez mods, owned '62,'78
time to replace the booster...hard pedel effort and the hissss.
Is this something the weekend mechanic can do?

RU sure its the booster and not the vacuum feed or the gasket between the master cylinder and the booster? Those are quite simple, but the booster is not a big deal either.

:w

You can easily purge the booster with just a few pedal pushes without the engine rinning. This will give you a hard pedal also.
Don't touch the brake pedal after you stop. Rev the engine in park a few times, and again, remember not to touch the brake pedal. Let the car sit over night.
Next day: Lift the hood. Engine off. Grab the large hose from the booster and pull it off. Did you hear air escaping? Possible booster is fine. Keep the hose off. Start the engine. Do you feel good vacuum? Clogged/collapsed hose might not create enough vacuum for the booster. How tight was the plastic L shaped hose fitting, between the hose and/or the booster's rubber gasket? How tight is the other end of the hose to the A/C?

Thanks, will try that tonite.
I replaced the M/C about 3 months ago because of "soft to the floor" problem.
That solved that problem. I wonder if it's related ?
You mention the A/C.
The hose to the booster goes straight to the intake plenum.

ps I had a '62 convertable. my first vette ...got it 1968,
I WANT IT BACK!!

Yes spy, thanks for correcting...plenum. You can also take soapy water and brush the areas stated, and see if they start to bubble...engine off of course.

Replacing the booster is no picnic, but you can do it yourself. Just remove the bolts to the master cylinder. I had to remove my car seat in order to access the two inside nuts holding the booster to the firewall. After much swearing, the bolts eventually come off and the booster pops right out. Like a lot of other Corvette projects, it's one of those jobs that is both simple and frustrating at the same time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom