Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

brake booster

bmack

Corvette
73 blue coupe
Need some advice on how to get at the 4 bolts under the dash and how to get the booster arm off the brake pedal. Do you have to drop the steering or take off the front of the dash? Thank you.

I did mine a few years ago and yes I took out the left instrument panel to get to it. Also dropped the steering column down (but not out) by removing the two bolts at the bottom of the dash.

You will not enjoy this job at all.

good luck with it

Brake Booster

Correct, Not a fun job. On my 71 I took the drivers seat out to get what view there is, but left the column and dash in. I used very long extensions, a deep socket and universals to get at the bolts. As I recall you can't see all the bolts but you can sort of tell where they are. Hope I never do it again.

r71 said:
Correct, Not a fun job. On my 71 I took the drivers seat out to get what view there is, but left the column and dash in. I used very long extensions, a deep socket and universals to get at the bolts. As I recall you can't see all the bolts but you can sort of tell where they are. Hope I never do it again.
Thank you 71...did you have to also feel around to get the clip and bolt off the top of the brake pedal???

lone73 said:
I did mine a few years ago and yes I took out the left instrument panel to get to it. Also dropped the steering column down (but not out) by removing the two bolts at the bottom of the dash.

You will not enjoy this job at all.

good luck with it
Thank you lone73, I'm pretty good with tools but might have to get a pro to do this job...bmack

Hey bmac, are you in Windsor CT??

Bill

Actually I think I took my seat out also. It isn't a complicated job. Just time consuming. I would really have to trust somebody a lot to leave the job to them. There are a lot of things (wires) to screw up with your hands up in there while being very frustrated to get it done in a hurry, it'd be your problem once you paid for it.

lone73 said:
Actually I think I took my seat out also. It isn't a complicated job. Just time consuming. I would really have to trust somebody a lot to leave the job to them. There are a lot of things (wires) to screw up with your hands up in there while being very frustrated to get it done in a hurry, it'd be your problem once you paid for it.
Thanks again lone73. Have you had your 73 very long? This is my 3rd one, just got it and it is in great shape. The guy replaced a ton of stuff on this one and took care of it. Never seen rain or even drove it on a wet street. Just hope I can keep it this way.lol. Barry

Brake booster

bmack said:
Thank you 71...did you have to also feel around to get the clip and bolt off the top of the brake pedal???

Yes , with the seat out I could lay on my back and somewhat see where everything is. The break clip was not all that bad as I recall although this was about 10 years ago. I used long extensions so that when laying on my back I could work the wrench out past the steering wheel while I watched up underneath.

r71 said:
Yes , with the seat out I could lay on my back and somewhat see where everything is. The break clip was not all that bad as I recall although this was about 10 years ago. I used long extensions so that when laying on my back I could work the wrench out past the steering wheel while I watched up underneath.
Thanks r71 for taking the time to reply. I'll try to tackle that job over the holidays. Oh, Merry Christmas.......Barry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom