Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake Dust!!

• Thread starter Thread starter FrogindaBlender
  • Start date Start date
F

FrogindaBlender

I have a 1991 #1467 and I have the original pads and rotors on the car. I hate brake dust!! I can do a couple of blitzes on some of my favorite mountain roads with lotsa twisties and the front wheels are coated with brake dust. I have the 94-95 wheels and I have to clean them every day it seems. Its a daily driver, so changing to Eardispeeds and Pads is possible but rather not. Any other pads out there that aren't so bad with the dust. Seems like I have been putting off alot of work on the car but slowly it will come back. On the to do list is

1. Coplon Duct (on order)
2. Brake Dust!
3. Vacuum line under plenum (have parts waiting for time)
4. Wireless remote stopped working (Argh!)
5. Rear Window Gasket (Hello GM, Find Unity)
6. Bose Speakers/Amps (duh)
7. Backup Lights (gotta do now)
8. Clutch/Flywheel (not yet but possibly this year)
9. Exhaust (Oh if I could!)
10. NOS (See #9)

I have to do # 7 also. The lights have been out since the summer.:beer

Welcome Fort94z

And yet another "Joisey" guy amongst us.:upthumbs

Lou,
I not far from you, just across the county line in Warren Co.:cool

The more dust the better they are working...:D Just keep lots of wax on the wheels and wash daily:Roll

Not Far At all..

Fort94z said:
Lou,
I not far from you, just across the county line in Warren Co.:cool

I love cruising up on some of those back roads in the warm weather, I usually stop in at Sonny's on Rt.15 by the stadium on Saturday nights, stop in, a lot of nice cars there.

Wegone: Wash DAILY!!! I, I, I, love my ZR1, but have some reservations about washing so much. 1. I am lazy 2. I will be late to work if I washed. 3. I just hate the crinkled finger look. I thought that some had experience with other pads that don't produce as much brake dust. Last night I was shutting her down coming off the freeway at a good clip (C+) a I can swear a I saw a spark of a sintered ash com up off the left wheel. Wow thats alot of dust that makes. So back to you guys any other pads used or tried?

I hear some have been using the ceramic pads as they produce a less noticeable gray dust, I also hear they don’t stop as well... I went to Auto Zone Z-Friction pads still get the dust maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Follow We Gone's advice and wax the wheels with an old "shell" wax. (One that hardens). You'll save money and the dust won't stick.

ted

Fort94z said:
I have to do # 7 also. The lights have been out since the summer.:beer

What's up with that, mine don't work either.:confused

FrogindaBlender said:
. Last night I was shutting her down coming off the freeway at a good clip (C+) a I can swear a I saw a spark of a sintered ash com up off the left wheel.

Before I switched to the Baer/Alcons with 13.5 rotors and 4 piston calipers, I had the stock set-up - one fine day I was cruising up from Florida, still in Tennesee, and a really hopped up Cobra merges, gets beside me and gooses the throttle - it is getting towards dusk, and I'm feeling racy - SO- I hammer it in 3rd, and slam it into 4th, take him up to 155 mph (put 10 car lengths on him, but he hung in well!). At this point we're coming up on some traffic so I get on the binders - and fireworks fly off the rotors - a steady spray of sparks - very cool effect at dusk. I shed some speed, down to 115 mph in a few seconds, and the Cobra was up my ass - he changed lanes and then I stood on em down to 65 mph, again a nice spark shower - flys up about half way up the driver's and passenger's side windows and expires at the tail of the car. The Cobra couldn't brake nearly as well, so he got a little close to the traffic ahead, while I relaxed 10 car lengths behind.

It was quite a show - wonder what it looked like from behind.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom