Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Brake fade at higher speeds and down steep hills

aja37

Corvette
1970 Midnight Metalic Blue
Afew years ago I replace the entire brake system and everything worked great, but the last couple of years I've notice that at normal speed braking is fine but if I need to brake coming down a hill, or on highways were I need to brake quick, my peddle goes down to the floor and scares the HELL out of me.:ugh :mad Any thought would be appreciated. :thumb

stay off the hills....;LOL;LOL

my peddle goes down to the floor and scares the HELL out of me.:ugh :mad

If you don't have any fluid leaks and a full system bleed doesn't change anything, you need a new master cylinder; with no air or leaks in the system, the only cause for the pedal going to the floor is fluid bypassing the piston seals in the master cylinder.

:beer

If you don't have any fluid leaks and a full system bleed doesn't change anything, you need a new master cylinder; with no air or leaks in the system, the only cause for the pedal going to the floor is fluid bypassing the piston seals in the master cylinder.

Mine is similar, not so much on downhills but in flat driving. I had my
Motorhead Daughter help me bleed the brakes, and fount the fronts to have air. I bled until I was several pump and bled past the air sputter so as to be sure it was only fluid. I initally had the petal go to the floor previously and in some cases I had to accompany braking with the emergency brake and downshift into low/1 . After bleeding all four sides in the proper order of length ie RR, LR, RF, LF , I still could only get about half pedal. But It's able to stop without the aforementioned emergency brake and downshift. Mine is an 82 C3. I feel at this time that it might be time for a master cylinder replacement along with brake hoses, and a complete re-bleed. Then hopefully I will have a nice feeling pedal and be able to lock up the brakes if needed or wanted to.

My guess is downhills exert a bit more inertia and weight to try slowing by virtue of the downhill. whereas on flat, the brakes would have less momentum to overcome.

As usual, "JohnZ" is spot on.

Also, you don't have a problem with "brake fade". In fact, it's unlikely you can exert enough pressure on the brakes, because of either leaks or a bad master cylinder, that you could even get the them hot enough for the pads to fade.

As "JohnZ" suggests, you need to inspect the brake system looking for leaks, expanded brake hoses, balooned or leaking brake pipes or leaking calipers. If you find none of that, suspect a bad master cylnder with an internal leak.

If you find a bad master, you can still buy brake master cylinder overhaul kits from Zip Products and others but, I would not do the master myself unless you can properly hone the bore. If you can do that, I'd buy a reman cylinder from Zip Products.

Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom